Restoring Deleted Marketplace Apps (Purchased Previously)
Neil_B

Does anyone know what happens if you buy an app through Marketplace and then delete it for some reason, can you download and install it again for free or do you have to pay again?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Restoring Deleted Marketplace Apps (Purchased Previously)
M-Kohlman
Enthusiast - Level 3

Neil_B wrote:

Does anyone know what happens if you buy an app through Marketplace and then delete it for some reason, can you download and install it again for free or do you have to pay again?

You only have to pay once.  Because of the testing I do, I've probably wiped my WP7 phone a half-dozen times.  Once you buy it as long as you are signed into the same Marketplace account and are using the same phone you can reinstall as many times as you want.  A couple of trivia items:

A "bought" app can be installed to up to 5 different hardware ID's (so up to 5 phones or if you buy a new phone say, every two years, you could do this for about 10 years before it becomes a problem)

If the app is bought via the Zune application and you do a wipe of your phone, all paid for apps will be reinstalled to your phone after a wipe (or a new phone if the old one is replaced for some reason) automatically the first time you go through the phone setup.

If the apps are bought through the marketplace app; you will need to reinstall the apps manually (bu they are still paid for).  MS may fix this at some point in the future, but they have not said if/when.

If you wish to check or make a list of what you have bought.  Open the Zune Software on yoru PC; log into the account you have been purchasing apps from.  Go to  Settings (next to Help) Select Account; Select Purchase History; and Select Apps.  You will get a list of all the Apps bought under that account and on what Date.

Have fun!

Michael

View solution in original post

0 Likes
M-Kohlman
Enthusiast - Level 3

Neil_B wrote:

You only have to pay once.  Because of the testing I do, I've probably wiped my WP7 phone a half-dozen times.  Once you buy it as long as you are signed into the same Marketplace account and are using the same phone you can reinstall as many times as you want.  A couple of trivia items:

A "bought" app can be installed to up to 5 different hardware ID's (so up to 5 phones or if you buy a new phone say, every two years, you could do this for about 10 years before it becomes a problem)

If the app is bought via the Zune application and you do a wipe of your phone, all paid for apps will be reinstalled to your phone after a wipe (or a new phone if the old one is replaced for some reason) automatically the first time you go through the phone setup.

If the apps are bought through the marketplace app; you will need to reinstall the apps manually (bu they are still paid for).  MS may fix this at some point in the future, but they have not said if/when.

If you wish to check or make a list of what you have bought.  Open the Zune Software on yoru PC; log into the account you have been purchasing apps from.  Go to  Settings (next to Help) Select Account; Select Purchase History; and Select Apps.  You will get a list of all the Apps bought under that account and on what Date.

Have fun!

Michael

0 Likes
hopmedic
Contributor - Level 3

Actually, you can have it on five different pieces of hardware, and those hardware IDs can be changed as often as one device being removed from the list (making room for another) every thirty days.  In Zune desktop, go to Settings, Accounts, Computers and Devices, and you can see a list.  It will allow you to delete one from the list every 30 days.  As long as you have fewer than 5 on the list, you can add one.  I have had to cut my list back, since I have had a Sprint Arrive, an ATT Focus, and then three phones that Microsoft gave me, as well as my Trophy, before I realized this limitation.  I'm still waiting to delete phones I added in May that I wouldn't have added had I known this.  :smileywink:

0 Likes