Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Have a phone you love? Get up to $500 when you bring your phone.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Samsung Omnia 2... keeps freezing....
pdaugherty
Member

I've had my Samsung Omnia 2 since April 2010.  I have had 3 models sent to me due to the phone freezing, not loading, etc.  All Verizon employees have done is a master reset and sent me on my way.  After the master reset fails, and the phone begins freezing again, they send me a refurbished phone (same model).

How many phones do I have to go through to get a different phone?  This is seriously getting ridiculous!

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Samsung Omnia 2... keeps freezing....
chinch
Novice
Try a local VZW owned store to negotiate a swap for a HTC Trophy at a discounted price. Verizon/611 has no concerns or care about freezing, inconvenience or the time it takes to setup a WM phone.
plus windows phone 7 is awesome.
short of that switch off verizon and take advantage of free phone deals

pdaugherty wrote:

I've had my Samsung Omnia 2 since April 2010.  I have had 3 models sent to me due to the phone freezing, not loading, etc.  All Verizon employees have done is a master reset and sent me on my way.  After the master reset fails, and the phone begins freezing again, they send me a refurbished phone (same model).

How many phones do I have to go through to get a different phone?  This is seriously getting ridiculous!


 

0 Likes
Re: Samsung Omnia 2... keeps freezing....
Not applicable

Pdaughterty, thanks for your inquiry and I agree this is a frustrating issue. I'm sorry to hear about the issue with your phone freezing. Is it freezing on any certain applications? Have you loaded any of those same applications after the master reset?  You mentioned you purchased your phone in April 2010, the warranty is covered for one year, so I assume you have an extended warranty, or it was within 90 days of getting your last replacement. Through the warranty, you would be covered for the same model phone. You do have other options for getting a different model phone. If your line is the primary line on the account and at least $59.99 per month, then you still qualify for an annual upgrade. We can also offer discounted pricing on several certified pre-owned devices. 

0 Likes
Re: Samsung Omnia 2... keeps freezing....
moncenhs
Member

I haven't been on here in awhile or I would have posted a response to this.

 

I previously owned an Omnia II before upgrading to the Trophy.  Unfortunately, Samsung dropped the ball with O II.  The Samsung specific features they placed on it cause the RAM memory to be almost completely depeleted.  I recommend attempting to shut off TouchWiz UI and change the home screen to a tradition WM home screen.  The Samsung preinstalled option causes the phone to run extremely slow.  If you don't like your phone after completing these steps, you can always turn them back on. 

 

Like I said, I really liked WM6.5, but Samsung just did not provide good hardware.  I had to restart at least once a week (if not more often), and did a lot of waiting on the slow phone.  My final recommendation: either upgrade to a Trophy, or wait for another WP7 device.

0 Likes
Re: Samsung Omnia 2... keeps freezing....
jsh1701
Member

I haven an Omnia ll also. I have turned off the Samsung Touch Wiz software.The Samsung software really slows the phone down. I use a third party shell for my user interface, SPB mobile Shell. I rarely have to reboot the phone. I also keep memory cleaned out by periodically deleting files from the windows\ messaging\ folder. I have several other applications installed on the device and have not had any issues running them.

 

I really like this phone. I am waiting for Verizon to get some better WP7 devices before I will get a new phone. I am currently eligible to upgrade but will wait since my phone is still working well.

0 Likes
Re: Samsung Omnia 2... keeps freezing....
digdug
Member

+1 on turning off the touch wiz and using SPB Mobile Shell. I also keep apps away from the my device area and use my storage area to free up space. Use Opera mini 5.1 & Opera 10 for browsing.  Works well. Had the Omnia 2 since it came out.  Phone has been working okay although I'm likely going to Android soon - Galaxy Nexus is lookng pretty sweet. Smiley Happy

0 Likes
Re: Samsung Omnia 2... keeps freezing....
hopmedic
Novice

digdug wrote:

+1 on turning off the touch wiz and using SPB Mobile Shell. I also keep apps away from the my device area and use my storage area to free up space. Use Opera mini 5.1 & Opera 10 for browsing.  Works well. Had the Omnia 2 since it came out.  Phone has been working okay although I'm likely going to Android soon - Galaxy Nexus is lookng pretty sweet. Smiley Happy


I used to use SPB Mobile Shell on my TP2.  It was far better than HTC's UI. 

 

Don't switch to Android without taking a look at Windows Phone.  There is a night and day difference between Windows Mobile and Windows Phone.  I heard a good one yesterday that I believe will prove accurate in due time: "Android was born as a bad Blackberry copy.  It grew up as a bad iPhone copy.  And it will die as a bad Windows Mobile 6.0 (and prior) copy."

0 Likes
Re: Samsung Omnia 2... keeps freezing....
WickedlyDawn
Member

I'm currently on phone # 5 due to duplicate texting mostly sending and sometimes receiving. Almost every text I send Duplicates. I had problems within 5 DAYS of purchasing this phone as was told the only option I had was to start getting refurbished phones, I decided to try to work with it.Was then told I needed to buy a Network Extender which I did, it did NOTHING to solve any of my problems I dropped a call to Verizon while only 30 ft (max) from Extender. I stripped the oS on this phone down to nothing so as to  have more RAM No help, No 3rd party apps and it still has issues. I was told its not a known device issue and trouble tickets did no help as they said buy the Extender. I was then finally helped by a Customer Retention person who sold me a droid Eris A WORSE PHONE than my Omnia (didnt think that was possible!) So after a million calls to Verizon Im going to finally give in and upgrade to an Iphone 4s even tho it has a YELLOW TINT issue with most their phones If the duplications cant be fixed I will switch companies as I DO NOT SEND 2,000 texts a month but if I werent unlimited I'd be charged for that many

0 Likes
Re: Samsung Omnia 2... keeps freezing....
Geebox
Novice

WickedlyDawn wrote:

I'm currently on phone # 5 due to duplicate texting mostly sending and sometimes receiving. Almost every text I send Duplicates. I had problems within 5 DAYS of purchasing this phone as was told the only option I had was to start getting refurbished phones, I decided to try to work with it.Was then told I needed to buy a Network Extender which I did, it did NOTHING to solve any of my problems I dropped a call to Verizon while only 30 ft (max) from Extender. I stripped the oS on this phone down to nothing so as to  have more RAM No help, No 3rd party apps and it still has issues. I was told its not a known device issue and trouble tickets did no help as they said buy the Extender. I was then finally helped by a Customer Retention person who sold me a droid Eris A WORSE PHONE than my Omnia (didnt think that was possible!) So after a million calls to Verizon Im going to finally give in and upgrade to an Iphone 4s even tho it has a YELLOW TINT issue with most their phones If the duplications cant be fixed I will switch companies as I DO NOT SEND 2,000 texts a month but if I werent unlimited I'd be charged for that many


Sounds like you have nothing else to loose, so try changing the Rom.

0 Likes