Sending video to phones...
Oldenboy

I'm enjoying my HTC Trophy w/ Mango.  Easy and fun to use.

With my old dumbphone, it was pretty easy to 'text' a video you've just taken.  This doesn't seem to work on SMS or whatever it is.  Pictures work, but not videos.

So what's the easiest, simplest way of sending videos to phone numbers (not email).  Is there a way?   I've uploaded a video to skydrive, then emailed it - but not only was this cumbersome - but I want to send videos to people's phones. 

Thanks for any advice. 

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Sending video to phones...
bc3tech
Contributor - Level 2

Oldenboy wrote:

I'm enjoying my HTC Trophy w/ Mango.  Easy and fun to use.

With my old dumbphone, it was pretty easy to 'text' a video you've just taken.  This doesn't seem to work on SMS or whatever it is.  Pictures work, but not videos.

So what's the easiest, simplest way of sending videos to phone numbers (not email).  Is there a way?   I've uploaded a video to skydrive, then emailed it - but not only was this cumbersome - but I want to send videos to people's phones. 

Thanks for any advice. 

sorry you're out of luck

http://windowsphone.uservoice.com/forums/101801-feature-suggestions/suggestions/2281123-send-video-v...

Go vote on that feature. It's something I, too, wish Windows Phone supported but it just flat out doesn't. On any phone. On any carrier. The best option I can think of is to take videos from w/in a third party app that allows you to upload them to youtube, then send the youtube link.

Hey look at that, the app in my signature does just that :smileywink:

0 Likes
Chuckhov
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks for the info.  I 'voted' for this feature.

0 Likes
hopmedic
Contributor - Level 3

I'm not saying this because I have any info that puts me in the know, but logic tells me that the reason you couldn't send a video by mms is file size.  I could send video using my old Windows Mobile phone, but only if I shot it in MMS mode.  It was limited both in resolution and in length.  There is no such mode for the Windows Phone camera.  Not saying there couldn't be, but can you imagine how much time it would take for a 5 megapixel (minimum) video with essentially unlimited time? 

Again, not saying they couldn't put a MMS video mode into it, but it seems logical to me that this is a good reason why you can't send videos by MMS.  Also, I wonder if there is a limitation where it has to meet certain requirements in order to be viewable on other phones.  Interesting to ponder....

0 Likes
bc3tech
Contributor - Level 2

hopmedic wrote:

I'm not saying this because I have any info that puts me in the know, but logic tells me that the reason you couldn't send a video by mms is file size.  I could send video using my old Windows Mobile phone, but only if I shot it in MMS mode.  It was limited both in resolution and in length.  There is no such mode for the Windows Phone camera.  Not saying there couldn't be, but can you imagine how much time it would take for a 5 megapixel (minimum) video with essentially unlimited time? 

Again, not saying they couldn't put a MMS video mode into it, but it seems logical to me that this is a good reason why you can't send videos by MMS.  Also, I wonder if there is a limitation where it has to meet certain requirements in order to be viewable on other phones.  Interesting to ponder....

Android and iPhone can do it, so there's no reason Windows Phone can't other than sheer lack of implementation.

0 Likes
hopmedic
Contributor - Level 3

Personally, I do not want anyone to be able to send a video of the size that could be sent by a 5mp camera with no time limitation.  Yes, I have unlimited data, but not everyone does.  I don't want my data tied up by videos that I have no way of preventing reception of.

It's just my opinion, but upload it to skydrive and share a link with me.  That way I have the ability to choose whether to view it or not, or perhaps wait until I'm on wifi.

0 Likes
bc3tech
Contributor - Level 2

nearly all phones limit the size & resolution of a video recorded w/ the intent of MMSing it. Even my Samsung Alias feature phone had you select video format as "MMS" then limited you to 30s at low-res. it's not that hard.

0 Likes
chinch
Contributor - Level 1

MMS video is totally unreliable and absurd to expect today MMS video across carriers, even with smartphones was a clusterfudge that rarely worked properly. Maybe it worked great using two verizon dumbphones but anything more was not to be expected.

Share to skydrive, etc.

0 Likes
Chuckhov
Enthusiast - Level 2

With my old dumbphone I was only charged for a 'message' - text, video, picture.  There were no charges for  data or whatever. 

Not that it was important - but I went to a state fair and made silly videos and sent them real time to my sister.  Actually, making the videos and sending them kept me from being bored looking at pigs, tractors, and award-winning bales of hay. 

Now, with my brand-new Windows Mango phone, I can't have fun like that. 

That sums up my comments about my new phone.  I think it's great for business (skydrive/office), some APPS are wonderful - but little dumb things like real-time video sending is missing.  And that's a big part of what makes a smartphone OS appealing.

0 Likes
bc3tech
Contributor - Level 2

Chuckhov wrote:

With my old dumbphone I was only charged for a 'message' - text, video, picture.  There were no charges for  data or whatever. 

Not that it was important - but I went to a state fair and made silly videos and sent them real time to my sister.  Actually, making the videos and sending them kept me from being bored looking at pigs, tractors, and award-winning bales of hay. 

Now, with my brand-new Windows Mango phone, I can't have fun like that. 

That sums up my comments about my new phone.  I think it's great for business (skydrive/office), some APPS are wonderful - but little dumb things like real-time video sending is missing.  And that's a big part of what makes a smartphone OS appealing.

bingo.

0 Likes