Re: Should Verizon's lack of response to Windows 8.1 update questions gives reason for pause.
muneo
Enthusiast - Level 3

If there was no Developer Preview, Verizon's claim that they are still testing the software may hold some water but the lack of "DP bricked my 928" threads on WPCentral show that 8.1 is good to go.  My 928 is running great.  In fact a secondary release was put out for random stability issues and feature updates.   They are just sitting on it so they can convince you to buy the Iphone 6 right now.  The last two updates (GDR1 and GDR2) were pushed out fairly quickly because there wasn't any major phone releases at the time and it didn't interfere with any of their marketing.  Since the Lumia 928 is getting close to the 2 year upgrade  period, there is no need to give it an awesome update to make you hold on to it longer than they want.  Rumors of the HTC getting the update in October probably means we will see the Lumia updates around that time too.  Im hoping it will be sooner but I wont be surprised if they are just playing for sales.

Re: Should Verizon's lack of response to Windows 8.1 update questions gives reason for pause.
sheen
Enthusiast - Level 2

It gives me pause. If Verizon isn't going to provide Windows Phone SW updates as promptly as its competitors, that's 1 more reason for taking your business elsewhere. If they cared about its Windows Phone customers, we would be running 8.1 now on our Icons.

Not applicable

Let's assume (I don't like doing this) you have a valid point.

Seems reasonable that since there is a new Windows phone out with the OS update already on it.

And let's say the second flagship device is now on pre-sales or pre-order (Apple iPhone) so these sales are a driving force not to hurry any update to existing Windows devices. And let's be honest here there is no reason not to make more revenue.

Also remember the Android devices are also lacking timely updates so that is yet another hold up. With android holding the market share it just maybe other devices take a back seat.

Again it may just be that Verizon did not give priority to a low performing system phone in rankings or in sales.

It still means there is still going to be a wait.

But you made a good point. However all the guessing in the world is not going to get a firm date out of Verizon.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

muneo wrote:

If there was no Developer Preview, Verizon's claim that they are still testing the software may hold some water but the lack of "DP bricked my 928" threads on WPCentral show that 8.1 is good to go.  My 928 is running great.  In fact a secondary release was put out for random stability issues and feature updates.   They are just sitting on it so they can convince you to buy the Iphone 6 right now.  The last two updates (GDR1 and GDR2) were pushed out fairly quickly because there wasn't any major phone releases at the time and it didn't interfere with any of their marketing.  Since the Lumia 928 is getting close to the 2 year upgrade  period, there is no need to give it an awesome update to make you hold on to it longer than they want.  Rumors of the HTC getting the update in October probably means we will see the Lumia updates around that time too.  Im hoping it will be sooner but I wont be surprised if they are just playing for sales.

You don't have to brick your phone to give pause for an update.  the DP for all devices do not use current drivers and radios.  If any of those have problems then of course you won't see those complaints because it wasn't there in the first place to allow it to hit public.  When I tested the M8(Windows Phone) for HTC I had problems while some others who also tested it did not.

If you search enough with leaked software people claim what you claim that there is nothing wrong, and shortly the same build number software is released and you see a galore of complaints that XYZ update broke my phone whether it bricked, cause reception issues, or something along those regards.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

sheen wrote:

It gives me pause. If Verizon isn't going to provide Windows Phone SW updates as promptly as its competitors, that's 1 more reason for taking your business elsewhere. If they cared about its Windows Phone customers, we would be running 8.1 now on our Icons.

You switch carriers and buy another Nokia... Nokia wins.  You bought 2 devices from them... If you didn't buy the new device Nokia would have only made that initial sale and no other point in getting devices.  Manufacturers want you to keep buying.  That's how they make money.

Doesn't matter what OS or devices you are on you'll pay Verizon the same per month...  There's honestly no real incentive for them to update or even have you buy multiple devices unless you have additional lines.

I have a couple of beta phones(not released yet and I can't say what they are) for T-Mobile, and Verizon.  I pay the same before I even got these devices.  My Nexus 5 I paid the same regardless what OS version that is on...  I haven't been on contract and Verizon has been milking the subsidy fee bundled into their plans since they admitted they bundled it in a lawsuit(Reason why our ETF's have diminishing returns).  There's actually more incentive to keep you, but not have you upgrade.

0 Likes
sheen
Enthusiast - Level 2

Tidbits, you missed the point(s). If you take your business to a Verizon competitor, than you no longer have to pay Verizon every month. Also the Verizon Icon is unlocked, so you don't need to by a new Nokia either.

Tidbits
Legend

Doesn't matter you bought 2 lumias Nokia wins. Then what happens when the next carrier doesn't update your phone you just bought? Buy another lumina for another competitor? Nokia is making money... AT&T for example is often bottom rung with Verizon when it comes to updates. Once in a while they'll be first and same with Verizon.

The point I was making manufacturers have far greater incentive to keep you buying. Why do you think they come up out with new devices every year?

0 Likes
sheen
Enthusiast - Level 2

You are not making any logical points, you are just completely missing the points. The phone is UNLOCKED, so I don't need to buy a second Nokia phone! Also, it is Verizon that is delaying the update, not Nokia!

Tidbits
Legend

So your saying... Because you device is updated and you switch carriers and use the same lumina on another carrier while potentially not getting full use of that network and not getting the update still... Right... If you are going to go through all that trouble... You'll buy another device or that move would be asinine.

0 Likes
sheen
Enthusiast - Level 2

Tidbits, lets me try explain this one more time.

1. The Icon phone isn't being updated responsively by Verizon. Who knows if they will ever update it. If I want to update it on my own, I can do the developer update.

2. Icon users can decide to move to a another Cellular company that is more responsive with its Windows Phone Updates.

3. As a result I no longer need to pay Verizon every month. The first correction I had to make in one of you responses

4. I don't need to buy a new phone if I don't want too, because its unlocked.That was the second correction I had to make to your responses.

5. In response to you last comments, the unlocked Icon will work perfectly fine on other networks. And popping out one SIM Card for another is not that much trouble for me.

6. Also, the new Cellular provider will certainly offer a great deal on a new Windows Phone if I want it, Nokia or other, and because they are more responsive with Windows updates, I shouldn't have this Verizon dragging there feet problem with them.

6. If I go the new phone route, I can in turn choose to sell my Icon and pocket that cash.

There is absolutely nothing asinine about any of this. If enough Verizon customers do this, maybe Verizon will improve its Windows support in the future. If everyone just posts complaints and keeps staying with them when they continue to ignore those customer concerns, that is asinine.