Re: Should Verizon's lack of response to Windows 8.1 update questions gives reason for pause.
Not applicable

I am aware of the differences in OS updates.

I was referring to having these updates and then getting constant updates to the updates.

As I am typing this I have 4 computers all getting other patches and updates from last weeks updates.

Just the never ending cycle is what gets to me.

Re: Should Verizon's lack of response to Windows 8.1 update questions gives reason for pause.
yleetsbob
Enthusiast - Level 3

We are not at all promised or is any obligation guaranteed or implied in regard to updates from verizon. Most manufacturers provide promises but these are usually extended as a courtesy and a way to keep fanboys of their products. I have not had my flagship device very long and it was sold as a premium device that in every way competed with the latest galaxy or iphone offering. i switched from a htc droid dna. and after only a few months,I feel like I have made a huge 2 year MISTAKE. again I am and CANNOT be mad at Nokia, M$, nor Big Red, I am really mad at myself for my decision. even with busted microphones, the DNA was a much better device.

0 Likes
Alexvrb
Contributor - Level 1

Yes, let's stop updating our OS with security patches, bug fixes, and other improvements!

All operating systems see these kinds of updates on a regular basis. Darn Google, Apple, MS, with their updates that make things better and more secure! I want to run an unpatched out-of-date OS that's easily compromised by malware. I'm thinking vanilla pre-SP1 XP should be smart.

0 Likes
JimFortune

My wife has an at&t Nokia and they loaded 8.1 windows 2 weeks ago

0 Likes
yleetsbob
Enthusiast - Level 3

I am in the it field and totally see where you are going with that. What companies like big red and M$ SHOULD do vs. what we can expect them to do are vastly different things all together. I want my Icon updated to what ever the current o/s is as much as any one else, especially since this is the equivalent to googles nexxus lines, as M$ makes/owns all of the lumias. I am allowed to be disappointed and its my decision to abandon this phone and o/s at the first opportunity, just like Verizon has already seemed to have done.

0 Likes
CharterCustomer
Enthusiast - Level 2

I'm going to repeat this link again

Availability in North America - Nokia

As you will see it is being tested, that implies we will get it. Also like was mentioned previous by Alexvrb, there are potential security vulnerabilities that Verizon may be exposing us to. I have no idea why Verizon would make them selves culpable for impeding security updates, legally it would be expensive and produce a lot of bad press. If there are problems caused by the update on the Verizon network and not the AT&T network, it appears that Verizon has technical issues with their network that may have been exposed by the update. After playing with my friend's recently updated AT&T Lumia 925, it looks like it uses the network more. I would not be surprised if Microsoft is makings some optimizations in order to not make Verizon's network look bad and also vice versa.

Now if you are truly in the IT field you would have the fore sight to know that Intel can produce low power processors now and phones (or should I say computers with phone form factors that have a digital cellular adaptor) will  be sold with them in the near future that will have Windows 9 on it. Microsoft's CEO called it "Convergence" I believe. Full disclosure I own Microsoft and Intel stock.

0 Likes
yleetsbob
Enthusiast - Level 3

I fail to see how you being a stockholder has any relevance here beyond your dedication to the two brands. Windows Phone and Intel have struggled to maintain their existence in the smartphone arena since they introduced their first devices.  If you cannot see that, you are just a 100% fanboy posting.  I am not saying that I am not looking forward to the update, I am just not expecting anything more than what they gave me at the time of purchase, because that's all that is guaranteed.  I have had nearly every Mobile O/S and have supported all of them.  They all have their pros and cons, this one for me has more of the latter. 

Your link has not changed in a month, so I repeat, there is no info of value on that link.

0 Likes
CharterCustomer
Enthusiast - Level 2

Wow you have supported nearly every Mobile OS, I yield to your superior knowledge and experience. Well I have used most brands of toilet paper in my life.