Should a Phone (Device) Update Law Be Created to Protect Our Information?
corkwatchr
Contributor - Level 1

Hi, all.

If you think about it, we often perform software updates to many technology devices we own. These devices include our networking routers, our tablets, servers, PCs, set top boxes, gaming consoles, and much more than I have listed here.

There are different types of updates that we perform as well. We install PC BIOS updates, the latest operating system updates, and software updates to applications such as business applications and web browsers.

We install these updates to keep our devices running at their highest performance level with greatest efficiency and improved capabilities. Most importantly, we also install these updates to protect our personal information (our data), ensuring we have the latest, and most secure operating system and security tools to protect our information from hackers/thieves.

We are usually in charge of these updates. With these software update options, we should also take a little responsibility for something we own getting hacked if we don't install current software upgrades or updates - especially if we can update them ourselves.

That leads to my question above. Should a law be passed requiring device manufacturers who control software upgrades/updates to always publish them? Should a law require hardware resellers to publish software update schedules so users will know when the updates are available? Should hardware resellers who control software upgrades/updates be held responsible for putting users' information at risk by not offering the latest software updates?

As our phones become more and more like personal computers, we want to be charge of how they are secured and updated. Right now, for the Windows Phone OS 7/8+, it's completely out of our hands and yet we are responsible for our own phone security.

I suspect that something is going to have to change in the future with software updates to our devices. This is especially true when phones start becoming more hacked like PCs are today.

Just a thought.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Should a Phone (Device) Update Law Be Created to Protect Our Information?
Not applicable

Nice spin on asking where your windows phone update is at.

However I believe there should be a law for any types of updates.

Is it going to happen? No.

Is it going to compel Verizon and other carriers to relay information on any update schedules? No.

Verizon and others are a business. They sell a connection to the cellular and data network. With your working device.

Should the device makers have the ability to send updates out in the same manner as Apple? Yes I totally favor that.

Is it going to happen soon? No.

But I loved your creative posting style

0 Likes
Pyro515
Enthusiast - Level 1

Elector,

I've been lurking on this board for a while now, and I have seen a lot of your posts, and this is the first time I felt compelled to respond.

You stated:

"Verizon and others are a business. They sell a connection to the cellular and data network. With your working device."

That is what we are looking for. Verizon is selling a connection, that is EXACTLY what we want! Keep selling us the connection, and stay the hell out of managing the software updates. We are not renting the devices from Verizon, we are simply using their connection. Personally, this is my biggest beef with Verizon right now. I know that I bought a phone with a specific software version that worked. I know Verizon is not obligated to update that phone, etc. All of which I am fine with, what I am not fine with is that Verizon is not letting ME update MY device. Yes, I can use the developer preview, which I am currently using, but it is still not the released version with the firmware update.

I roughly relate this to a cable modem router, I can buy my own router, connect it to my Verizon FIOS, and update the router at any point without having to involve Verizon. What I paid for was a connection to the Verizon FIOS network. This is exactly what I want to have on my phone network as well.

Another interesting quote -
" Should the device makers have the ability to send updates out in the same manner as Apple? Yes I totally favor that.

Is it going to happen soon? No. "

- Well, why not? That is what I find interesting, if Apple can do it, why not Android or Microsoft? And this response isn't directed to Elector, this is directed to Verizon (which, of course, I know will never actually respond to this).

- Have a nice day

Tidbits
Legend

If order for this to work... We have to be more like Europe sadly we are not.

This is what you may be looking for but the VAST majority of people will always blame the carrier.  Europe laid the ground work, but most people on this forum can't fathom the idea.  Motorola, and HTC already changed due to what Europe has done.

HTC and Motorola owned up to the update process.  They even pointed out carriers DO NOT touch code.  When working on major updates they even outline specifically where they are. 

So explain how can Motorola and HTC do something other manufacturers can't?  HTC and Motorola has owned up for past mistakes and are gaining sales in Europe as a result.  I been advocating stop doing what we have been doing for the past 6 years as we know it isn't working.  Europe already shown something that works.  They get more updates and more often than we do.  Yes they sign contracts, and go through carrier testing as well.

0 Likes
Not applicable

NO

0 Likes
bsites1968
Contributor - Level 2

I like the idea of finding a way to get companies to release updates quickly, but not the idea of making new laws.  Way too many laws already and we don't even enforce some of the ones we have.  (That's as far up on the soap box as I should probably get here.)

<< Personal comments removed to comply with Verizon Wireless Terms of Service >>

0 Likes
Not applicable

- Well, why not? That is what I find interesting, if Apple can do it, why not Android or Microsoft? And this response isn't directed to Elector, this is directed to Verizon (which, of course, I know will never actually respond to this).

- Have a nice day

The reason is there is no clout to do so. Don't you think if Samsung wanted to have the same as Apple they could?

Their sales sure as shooting show it.

Microsoft Windows Phones? No way. The sales are dismal. And even if you think about it androids which are number one is problematic since no android is solely made by one company. Too many modifications to be made for each manufacturer.

0 Likes