So finally got me a 8x
_yankees_
Contributor - Level 3

Well I couldnt wait any longer for this so called Ativ Odyssey and my Droid (first generation) was pretty much dead, so I went it the 8x. The first one lasted me 24 hours, as I went to bend with about 49% battery charge and woke the next day to the battery being permanently dead. So now got it replaced and so far I am actually really liking this phone. The camera is not really that bad, might not be as good as 920 in low light, but in lighted areas, it very nice.

One bad thing about it is, there is no gps voice guided navigation system. I seriously will never use that nonsense VZ navigator, as my parents have it in their phone and it is just total crap. But what can you do. Hopefully Google will make a Googlemaps for wp8.

I got mine in blue

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: So finally got me a 8x
jake1110
Enthusiast - Level 2

I too am an Android convert and love my blue 8X thus far, though I do kind of miss some the flexibility of flashing new rom builds.  Definitely fast, straightforward and a fresh content oriented look to the OS.  HTC used to bundle a nice app called Locations, but it's missing in action on the 8X.  Also, there's a great app simply called navigation you can buy for a one time charge of $4.99, works just as well as Google Navigation did on my old EVO 4G.

I've heard the first update to the 8X will also improve battery life, or at least it did for the international HSDPA version...not sure how well US LTE version will fair.  As the number of Winphone8 users grows, the more developers will give attention.  I personally love being unique as an early adopter.  I get quite a few comments/compliments about the phone and OS.  Hopefully MS can reach that 10 million user threshold to gain some more traction with their app ecosystem.  I'm sure devs will have no problems in the future considering how much of a cut Apple takes from them.

0 Likes
colecrew

Agreed..what the heck happened to the GPS voice guided navigation system... very disappointed in Microsoft for this lack on their part. Come on Google..save this device in the GPS field.

0 Likes
Customer1234567
Contributor - Level 1

Microsoft is working with Nokia to release Nokia Drive for all Windows Phone 8 devices.... comming soon...from what i have heard...

I have used Nokia Drive 3.0 on my Trophy, it's a nice, no frills, simple to use voice guided navi with 3d views and you can download maps off line so you dont use up your data plan (I think per trip)

0 Likes
drichter
Contributor - Level 1

Microsoft has confirmed that Nokia exclusive apps including Drive will be released on the Windows Phone HTC 8X at the begging of the year. Everyone I have spoken too has argued that Drive is better than the Google Nav. As the other person above said you can download a trip so you don't have to use data later on...this particularly useful when traveling to a very remote place you may not get service but only GPS.

0 Likes
_yankees_
Contributor - Level 3

No apparently not anymore. Nokia will make Drive available to anyone but at a cost. For HTC to have it on the 8x, they have to pay a licensing fee. HTC has scrapped that idea and they will bring HTC Locations to 8x. When are they doing it, no clue, but hopefully sometime in the near future soon

0 Likes
drichter
Contributor - Level 1

Oh lame. I didn't hear about that. I'm hoping that with the trend Microsoft is trying to set by listening to consumers they will put out HTC Locations soon.

0 Likes
sagegirl08
Enthusiast - Level 3

Got my new HTC 8X and loving it so far! Skipped lunch and haven't been able to put it down for the past 2 hours.

0 Likes
drichter
Contributor - Level 1

Good luck it will last a few days! Hahaha!

Sent from my Windows Phone

sagegirl08
Enthusiast - Level 3

Good Thing it's the weekend!

0 Likes