Spam messages - anything I can do?
BrandonDusseau

Lately I've been receiving a lot of spam text messages. It's strange because the only website that has my personal number is Facebook, and it is hidden from everyone but me. At any rate, the text messages are quite frustrating because I only have 250 messages per month and they could easily push me over the limit if I'm close.

Is there anything at all I can do to stop these? The text blocking function on my wireless control panel only allows 10-digit numbers, so I can't block this one (545454). Also, apparently text blocking isn't available in Michigan anyway.(according to one help page I found). Can Verizon do anything about this? I've already tried filing complaints with the FCC for other numbers, but they don't handle individual cases, so I've given up on that.

Thanks in advance for any answers.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Spam messages - anything I can do?
SydneyK
Master - Level 3

I would try two things: Put your mobile number in the Do Not Call registry (donotcall.gov), and if you've opened a spam message, reply with STOP.

I believe you can also have Verizon block SMS messages that originate from Internet sites, which is what some of this spam may be. You can also ask for a credit for the spam messages you're received ... doesn't hurt to ask.

Good luck! I know how frustrating this is.

View solution in original post

SydneyK
Master - Level 3

I would try two things: Put your mobile number in the Do Not Call registry (donotcall.gov), and if you've opened a spam message, reply with STOP.

I believe you can also have Verizon block SMS messages that originate from Internet sites, which is what some of this spam may be. You can also ask for a credit for the spam messages you're received ... doesn't hurt to ask.

Good luck! I know how frustrating this is.

BrandonDusseau

Thanks for your prompt response! I've added my cell number to the registry and set my Verizon account to block messages from the web.

When I replied with STOP, I received this:

"Sorry, your response was unrecognized. We can not opt you out because you are not present in Express Text."

Oh well.

Thanks again, and we'll see how well this works out.

0 Likes
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

BrandonDusseau wrote:

Is there anything at all I can do to stop these? The text blocking function on my wireless control panel only allows 10-digit numbers, so I can't block this one (545454). Also, apparently text blocking isn't available in Michigan anyway.(according to one help page I found). Can Verizon do anything about this? I've already tried filing complaints with the FCC for other numbers, but they don't handle individual cases, so I've given up on that.

Another thing you want to do is block PREMIUM MESSAGING.  The 545454 looks to be one that will charge your account $9.99 - call Verizon Customer service, have them add the premium message block, and if you do have a charge on your account, they may do a courtesy one time credit.

If you are using your phone number on Facebook, and do surveys or quizzes, that is likely where the premium messages and spam are coming from.  Put a block on; it wont' prevent you from updating your status or posting pics via your phone, but it will stop the unwanted messages.

0 Likes
BrandonDusseau

Thanks for your reply as well. I don't use Facebook for anything potentially malicious, so it may be from someone who previously had my number. I went on the website and added blocks for premium messaging and premium animated messaging. The bill didn't reflect any extra service charges either.

Thanks again!

0 Likes
Wildman
Legend

I believe that this will become a constant situation since the new law to make your cellphone number public and allows telemarketers to spam your number...  I still think the purpose of the law makes no since and there was no reason that congress needed to make the change to the law.   In my opinion it is simply giving companies permission to be able to harass a person without asking.

It sounds like you have done everything to possibly stop the issue but I really believe that the marketers will find a method to get around the restrictions.  It can be a real pain but hopefully the situation is resolved for you..

0 Likes
ZipTurtle
Contributor - Level 1

There is  no such new law.  Reports that there will be are bogus and have been for years.

Wildman
Legend

I would agree if BBB and my cellphone didnt show diffrent...

http://www.bbb.org/blog/2011/12/congress-considers-bill-said-to-allow-telemarketers-all-kinds-of-acc...

A number of users has been having issues with spam text messages and calls since the report of this...   And I guarentee I havent installed or added my name to any callback list so they are getting users numbers from somewhere.

0 Likes
acraftylady1
Contributor - Level 1

The law didn't go through yet, that rumor has been around for years.  Mary

0 Likes
Wildman
Legend

Strange I thought it was in effect at the start of the year...  In that case then there is more to worry about because of the number of spam emails and text hitting so many users recently..

0 Likes