Spinning gears
JMNIV

I think I downloaded that latest update for the Lumia 822 and now these spinning gears won't go away on my phone. It won't let me start my phone or do anything on it. Also  it is draining my battery and wont let my phone charge either. These spinning gears have been on my phone for almost 12 hours! I have takin the battery out and put it back in and that has done nothing. I also went to the Verizon store and they told me I had to reset my phone but  it was dead. So they were unable to do anything but tell me to charge my phone.

How do I get these spinning gears off my phone??

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Spinning gears
primortal
Master - Level 1

You'll basically have to do a hard reset; phone is reset to factory default (all data will be lost if not backed up).

Found this on a post from WPCentral, there is a thread dedicated to this problem "Stuck on gears update" if you care to read the rest of the posts.

• Turn off phone (if possible).  Hold vol down button and then plug phone into charger, while still holding button down, then let go of button once charger is plugged in.  Phone should come up with a big exclamation mark on the screen.  If your phone was constantly rebooting, like mine was after I installed GDR2, you have to time the plugin just right, just after the phone crashes and before it gets to the boot sequence.  It took me a few dozen tries to time it right, but you have to keep trying until you get a big exclamation mark when you plug in the phone.
  • Once at the ! screen, press vol up, then vol down, then power, then volume down.  The phone should go into the gears again, but only for a minute.  Then it should come up like it did when you first unboxed it, driving you through all the setup screens.
  • The phone will work like crap until all of the system stuff gets updated through the store.  Mine crashed going into email and texts, because the GDR2 part of the update was already flashed, but the nokia apps that were restored from the store were pre-Amber.    Once I got through all this drama, which took HOURS (since the store restores every app one at a time, in its own order, and doesn't know the Nokia apps need to be installed first), the phone worked fine since.
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

JMNIV,

Good news here is we've got an arsenal full of tools to provide a fix. As advised by a fellow community member, processing a hard reset is the best option http://vz.to/16J955Z (alternate method is necessary if your phone doesn't power on, but yes, you will likely need it on the charger). If you can turn your phone on, please be sure to backup important info as well. Please let us know how this goes.

EvanO_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
CMBurton

I have the same problem. I have followed every instruction I've found, the first of which was recommended by a VZ tech. None of them work to get to the exclamation screen. The best I can get is a black screen with NOKIA on it, or I get the blue screen with the red box with a window and check mark and back to the gears. Any suggestions? Thanks.

C

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hi CMBurton,

Thanks for bringing this to our attention. I am sad to see that you are having problems with such a great phone. Have you tried the hard reset as well?  If you are still experiencing the problems after doing the reset, we will need to go over replacement options with you. Please keep us posted.

Thanks, BobbyS_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
JMNIV

I've talked with vzw support and after many attempts at a hard reset I have a new phone coming to me. Thanks

0 Likes
feefait

I had the same issue, and could not reboot either. Fearing a loss of all my data I plugged it into the computer, hoping I could back door and get all my videos/pictures. After a minute or two the computer recognized the device and it forced through the update.For anyone else having this issue you could give that a shot.

0 Likes