Re: Still NO Windows Phone 8.1 Update? FCC? Attorney General?
harryandruss
Enthusiast - Level 1

I agree completely with everything you have said. I have been a customer since 2004, and am very wise to the Verizon ways. This update delay is just them getting people to buy the new HTC and they will release it with full 8.1 capabilities. Us HTC 8x owners will wait until it is tested further, "because, well...your phone is OLDER and well...the testing has to see if it works with them, as the NEW HTC, well it's all complete".

I love my Windows Phone. I love my HTC 8x, but this is typical garbage from Verizon in a long, LOOOOONG, long, history of being who they are. Verizon.

0 Likes
MadDogFL62
Contributor - Level 2

<< Duplicate post.  See Re: Windows Phone DAY at Verizon 8/19/14 >>

Post edited by: Verizon Moderator

0 Likes
Chipeast
Enthusiast - Level 2

I agree and support all of your posts @MadDogFL62. Anyone know why the Nokia firmware updates cannot be included in the DP program? Any chance that Microsoft includes firmware updates in the DP program now that they purchased that division of Nokia? Why can Iphone update their devices without going through Verizon?

All of this makes me strongly reconsider switching to ATT. Sure there coverage is not as good in Washington State but why support a company that does not listen to it's customers!?

0 Likes
jharris326
Contributor - Level 1

From working many years with computers Microsoft has traditionally shied away from releasing thru the Development channel any and all "drivers".  Those are traditionally a function of the hardware supplier and with most things they don't like to rock the boat.  I would hope though that Microsoft would maybe consider releasing thru Windows Update or even thru their WSUS channel those updates in the future.  Who knows what they are going to do now that they are getting more into hardware.

0 Likes
nemz
Enthusiast - Level 2

So what you're saying is that even though you know that VZW has a user agreement that says you aren't entitled to an update, you still want to flood government agencies with complaints of something they legally can't do anything about? Just to get VZW's attention?  Sure you can file a complaint and they are required to respond to it, but they can't do anything about it other than give you a generic response and say that it has been brought to the attention of Verizon.  In the mean time you're taking the time of government workers that WE pay taxes to employ just to deal with a flood of complaints about a non-essential phone update?  We can't put that much stress on the government offices for something they can do nothing about.  You're best off complaining to Microsoft about how Verizon treats WP, eventually they might have a real case to bring to the FCC about how Verizon hinders the WP market.

0 Likes
Chipeast
Enthusiast - Level 2

nemz  Not sure why this argument is brought up so often. VZW is regulated by the FCC and the FCC can absolutely do something about it. Anyone that works at a high level for a regulated company does not want a slew of complaints to the FCC, Attorney Generals Office or regulating body about their company.

From the FCC webpage:

"The FCC does not regulate contractual arrangements with cellular providers, but does handle complaints about wireless service. You may file a complaint with the FCC by using the FCC’s on-line complaint form."

In reality you need to complain to Microsoft and the FCC.

0 Likes
nemz
Enthusiast - Level 2

Tell me, how does this have anything to do with your service?  Does the lack of an update somehow inhibit your current service or device? NO.  The FCC can only handle things that VZW is obligated to provide for you.  Nowhere in your service agreement does it say that you are entitled to an OS update.  Unless it has a real impact on your current service, the FCC can do nothing about it.  Complaining to the FCC that you haven't got your WP8.1 update that Verizon NEVER actually promised you is only going to take some poor (removed) away from doing real work to send you an email that sounds like the FCC actually cares about your complaint.  Just because they are required to follow-up on every complaint doesn't mean they are going to do anything about it.  If you could actually make a case that your phone won't work correctly without the update, then you might actually have a chance.

>> Edited to comply with the Verizon Wireless Terms of Service <<

Edited by:  Verizon Moderator

MadDogFL62
Contributor - Level 2

Blah, blah, blah, blah, blah.  I - JUST - LIKE - TO - HEAR - MYSELF - TALK. 

Want to know what this post is about?  Stop typing and read the first post in the thread. 

The FCC didn't regulate billing - until Verizon started to mess with their customers.  The FCC didn't regulate bait and switch selling - until AT&T and Verizon got caught.  The FCC can't regulate Verizon putting limits on customer bandwidth based on usage.  Really?  Just watch.  VZW already has 1 FCC warning.  The hammer is coming.

All of the regulation and change that Verizon now (and is going to) face is the result of direct customer complaints with the FCC.  File your complaint today - it is never too late.  And after 6+ weeks of waiting - late seems to be the name of the game.  www.fcc.gov/complaints

In addition, you have access to free legal assistance by also communicating your complaint with your State Attorney's Office.  Include your communication with FCC.

Last... If you are unsure how and what to communicate, follow the instructions on this post:  The FCC and your 8.1 Cyan Update

nemz
Enthusiast - Level 2

Why don't you show some proof that the FCC has actually done anything for your complaints?  Billing regulation is within their jurisdiction.  Bad business practices will get their attention.  Your 8.1 update is an amenity, not a necessity.  You don't NEED it for anything, and there is no impact to you as a customer if VZW doesn't provide it.  Other than a bunch of angry customers, there is no legal impact whatsoever to not providing an update unless it is critical to the device's function.  The bandwidth issue is a grey area which is why it's going to take awhile for that decision to come through without appeal from either side, but trust me when I say there is no possible chance that the FCC will actually bring a case to VZW for not providing non-essential updates.

Let me tell you a little story of when I used to do lab testing for a pharmaceutical company.  They produced some pretty heavy synthetic opiates. Whenever a bunch of junkies would accumulate enough complaints for a specific lot "not being strong enough" (they somehow thought that they could get free drugs by complaining?), we would be notified by the FDA of a customer complaint.  Knowing that these complaints were complete BS created by addicts, the FDA was required to follow up on these complaints and notify us.  We would spend a day sampling the old lots, testing them, and creating a report to show that absolutely nothing was wrong with the product.  This would cover our company's accountability and the FDA would be satisfied.  They would then email or call the dissatisfied users with a generic response telling them nothing was wrong with the drug.  Within a few more weeks we'd get the same complaint for another lot.  Same cycle.  Just because you get a response doesn't mean they will do anything for you, especially if its for something that you are not entitled to.  It just wastes everyone's time because they are required to follow up.  I know a bit about how government agencies interact with businesses and I don't think you're going to get anywhere with this one.  Show me a response from the FCC that show's they are doing something and we'll talk.

Chipeast
Enthusiast - Level 2

Pretty bad example considering that regulation, competition and pricing in the US drug industry are the most corrupt and in need of change in the entire world. By your example we should be paying $300 a month for the same phone service they get in Europe and wait 5 years for that new firmware upgrade. I think you need to go back to the lab.

0 Likes