The phone number in the "Verizon Voicemail" app is wrong on my new phone. How do I edit it? I uninstalled and reinstalled already.
MNBobster
Enthusiast - Level 3

My brand spanking new Nokia Icon with WP8 has the Verizon Voicemail app to get "visual voicemail" management. Unfortunately it is grabbing the phone number on its own and screwing it up. I noticed this after attempting several times to use this app and having it fail. Is there a way to edit the number manually? The phone number the app comes up with isn't even a valid phone number (too many digits). I am surprised that the app doesn't recognize this. Everything else on the phone works fine except this app which sounds useful if it ever works.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: The phone number in the "Verizon Voicemail" app is wrong on my new phone. How do I edit it? I uninstalled and reinstalled already.
MNBobster
Enthusiast - Level 3

The correct answer is: The service is not available since it is not on my account as a $2.99 per month feature. It would be nice if it told me that. The tech (Verizon phone support for Windows Phone) said he will add that as feedback for that app. Meanwhile, I will delete that app as I don't think it's worth $2.99 a month. My MDN was correct with the Country Code in it. He actually said that it is a longer number and that it is not editable. It comes from Verizon via the cell tower transmissions.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Re: The phone number in the "Verizon Voicemail" app is wrong on my new phone. How do I edit it? I uninstalled and reinstalled already.
primortal
Master - Level 1

Go to Settings and tap About.  Tap more info and see if the MDN value matches your phone number.  If it doesn't then that might be the problem with voicemail.

0 Likes
MNBobster
Enthusiast - Level 3

The MDN number is fine. The Verizon Voicemail app has the country identifier (1) in the number, so the area code is "(165)" instead of "(651)" and everything is shifted over one digit: example phone number looks like "(165) 1xx-xxxxx" the added country code in the area code puts an extra number on the right most number which should be 4 numbers, not 5.

0 Likes
MNBobster
Enthusiast - Level 3

I should mention that the MDN has the country identifier, which I assume should be there to identify my number as being a United States phone number. Verizon is in the United States and doesn't need the country identifier. "Regular" voicemail works. Just this app is not working.

0 Likes
primortal
Master - Level 1

hmm, wonder if they messed up your MDN, mine starts with just the area code.  Or the VZW coding monkeys didn't anticipate the country code in the app.

0 Likes
MNBobster
Enthusiast - Level 3

Your phone should have a country code. I thing the "coding monkeys" may have not anticipated the country code. There should be a way to edit the number in the app itself, but there isn't.

0 Likes
primortal
Master - Level 1

Unless VZW changed something since Feb when I got my Icon, even my 822 never had a country code.

It grabs the number from the MDN so there is no way to edit it.

Anyone else here have or don't have a country code listed in their MDN setting?

0 Likes
MNBobster
Enthusiast - Level 3

You may be correct about the MDN Verizon's glossary at Glossary - Verizon Wireless says it's a "10 digit number" and thus would not include the country code. Back to the Verizon store with me.

0 Likes
MNBobster
Enthusiast - Level 3

The correct answer is: The service is not available since it is not on my account as a $2.99 per month feature. It would be nice if it told me that. The tech (Verizon phone support for Windows Phone) said he will add that as feedback for that app. Meanwhile, I will delete that app as I don't think it's worth $2.99 a month. My MDN was correct with the Country Code in it. He actually said that it is a longer number and that it is not editable. It comes from Verizon via the cell tower transmissions.

0 Likes