This is my first day using the HTC Trophy and also my very first smart phone. Help!
newtosmartphones

How do I delete text messages and are there any free music apps that let you download music free to your phone like there are for the android phones?  

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: This is my first day using the HTC Trophy and also my very first smart phone. Help!
thejester77
Contributor - Level 1

Hi First Timer...

I saw your post and wanted to reply asap so that you can enjoy the features of this phone...  Here's a bunch of links to help put you in the right direction and well as some tips to help you on the way.  Don't listen to the name sayers, Windows Phone 7 is the bomb and you will start to enjoy all the magic once you get on your way.

First, setup a windows live account... and setup Zune PC for your desktop or Mac Computer... You will need this to install updates, add music, pictures and videos to your Zune Player on the Phone.

To delete text messages, hold down the text in question and wait for the options to open up or open the text and hit the (...) in the lower right hand corner.  Tricks:  Anytime you have a question, hit the (...) in the lower right hand corner and all your options will pop up.

Regarding Ringtones... Go to the marketplace, hit the (SEARCH ICON) on the bottom middle and search for (Free Ringtones) app by Astech Software... Really cool app with alots of real (PROPER) ringtones.  Has a built in search feature to find artists or sounds your looking for.  I'm really big into Trance/Electronic Music which is really hard to find and this app had alot of my Dj's in it.

Here's a bunch of links to help you along the way:

Microsoft Windows Phone 7

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsphone/en-us/default.aspx

Microsoft Windows Phone 7:  Help and How To

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsphone/en-us/howto/wp7/default.aspx

Microsoft Windows Phone 7:  My Phone

https://www.windowsphone.com/en-US/my

Note:  Once you have a windows live account you can trace your phone if ever lost, see all the apps you have installed and reinstall if you ever lose or replace phone, see all your achievements from XBox Live and XBox 360 games... and much, much more!!! Smiley Happy

WP7 Easy Backup... 3rd Party Windows Phone 7 backup tool

http://ultimate-networx.net/?p=382&lang=en

Note:  I have used this numerous times to backup my phone before manually installing Windows Phone 7 updates...  It only backup's your data, apps, contacts but not your Zune Media (music, videos or pictures).  If you ever restore your backup file, all you have to do is reopen Zune Player on your PC/Mac and Zune will resync (reload all your music, videos and pictures again).  Microsoft will have a backup feature in later updates... Smiley Happy

That's the important stuff for the mean time... If you need anymore help, tips or tricks... Reply to your post and I will check and reply...  Verizon should hire me to help out with support... I know more about this phone and OS then there level 2 does... Smiley Happy

TheJester77

Re: This is my first day using the HTC Trophy and also my very first smart phone. Help!
bc3tech
Contributor - Level 2

a-men to everything, brotha.

0 Likes
newtosmartphones

THANK U!!! I will certainly have lots of questions for you I'm sure! Verizon doesn't know anything about this phone! Here are 2 more for you if you have the time to help. Is there any way to transfer contacts to this phone from my old phone? I know back-up assistance isnt available for this phone. Also - how do I save ringtones to this phone that have been sent to me via text message?

0 Likes
ssylwester

thanks for your help

0 Likes
bc3tech
Contributor - Level 2

If you used Backup Assistant on your old phone here's how you do it:

1. Log in to your Backup Assistant account online
  2. Above the contact list, choose "select all" then hit "actions" and pick "export contacts"
  3. Choose "to outlook" and download the file
  4. Log in to your live.com account associated w/ your Windows Phone
  5. Go to "Hotmail | contacts" in the upper menu bar
  6. At the top of the screen click "Manage" then "Import"
  7. Select from Outlook
  8. Make sure "using CSV" option is selected
  9. Choose the CSV file you previously created from Backup Assistant
  10. Click Import Contacts
  11. Voila

You may need to do some massaging of the contacts that got imported, but that'll give you them all generally.

Good luck!

As far as saving ringtones sent to you by text message, there are 2 things you need to remember:

1. Ringtones can only be added by an app on the phone or thru Zune
  2. Ringtones are really just "music" that is 30s long (max) and categories by a genre of 'ringtone'

Since there would be no way to get the music file out of the text message to put in to Zune as a ringtone, you can't really do that. However, what you could do is instead of having your friend or whomever text you the ringtone, have them e-mail it to you. Then you can pull that e-mail up on your PC, put the ringtone in to Zune, classify it as a 'ringtone' and sync it to your phone, done!

Hope this all helps.

0 Likes
ntropy99
Enthusiast - Level 2

For Ringtones, try "easyRing".  You can Try before you Buy.  I ended up buying it because it was cheap and there were a lot of them.  You can also get the "I'm a WP7" app and the extras section will have wallpapers and ringtones - not a huge selection like easyRing - but fun.

This is a great phone.  HOWEVER - VERIZON - Push out the 7740 and 8107 updates NOW.  You are showing your backsides by being so slow about this.  We already know you don't care about Windows Phone, but look at the satisfaction ratings for the Trophy on your own phones page.  AND get us some of the new phones! 

And remember - Mangos taste better than Apples! 

calvin8714
Enthusiast - Level 3

"Since there would be no way to get the music file out of the text message to put in to Zune as a ringtone, you can't really do that. However, what you could do is instead of having your friend or whomever text you the ringtone, have them e-mail it to you. Then you can pull that e-mail up on your PC, put the ringtone in to Zune, classify it as a 'ringtone' and sync it to your phone, done!"

(I think) you can do the same by just sending it to yourself as an email as well once you get a ringtone via text. Long press on the text bubble with the ringtone, select 'forward' and then enter in your own email address. I know it works with pictures, don't see why it wouldn't work for ringtones. Unfortunately, I have nothing to test with.

0 Likes
bc3tech
Contributor - Level 2

ah that might actually work. great suggestion Smiley Happy

0 Likes
calvin8714
Enthusiast - Level 3

wouldn't you know, I just got a text message with audio... i wasn't able to forward it to an email address, i could only forward it to another cell phone number. trying to copy the message and send it in an email would only copy the text of the message, no audio. i'm not sure if it depends on the file type of the audio file, but i received an .amr... maybe a wav/mp3 file would be able to be copied?

0 Likes