To those waiting for the 8.1 update
speedpilotf16
Enthusiast - Level 3

To those who've been talking about the 8.1 update. Instead of complaining non stop about it, why don't we spend our time helping Verizon find the problems so they can solve them and get it released sooner then later. Anyone who downloaded the developer preview, please list below the problems you had with it. Grant it, that some of the problems may have already been fixed in the last couple of updates Microsoft released. But this is a start and would be a better use of our time then nagging the FCC.

Labels (1)
Re: To those waiting for the 8.1 update
primortal
Master - Level 1

What are these so call problems VZW is having with 8.1 you speak of?

My Icon was running 8.1 and now 8.1 Update 1 and have not had a single problem on VZW network

grafixguy
Contributor - Level 2

8.1.1 DP works flawlessly on my Icon.

0 Likes
Th3GingerHitman
Enthusiast - Level 2

Since I don't have DP, I am stuck waiting for Verizon to get around to caring about it's customers. Why should we help a company who doesn't even acknowledge us?

0 Likes
mythos28th
Enthusiast - Level 3

I am pretty tech savvy guy, but I don't have time to register as a developer and "volunteer" my services for a cell phone carrier that I pay every month.  Also, I already paid the manufacture upfront for the phone!  Also, downloading the update as a developer voids the warranty.  I will continue to complain because the update is overdue.  It looks like iPhone 6 will be released before this ever does!

0 Likes
grafixguy
Contributor - Level 2

Joining the developer program takes all of two minutes. Then you add the app to your phone and hit phone updates in your settings. You'll be on Windows Phone 8.1.1 before you know it.

And the only thing that voids a warranty is the unauthorized alteration of the phone. This is coming straight from Microsoft to all who have joined the program. Cell phone carriers would be hard pressed to call this unauthorized.

0 Likes
Not applicable

Although I like your reply. I want to point out that when android devices were r o o t e d to get updates that actually worked and that had the ability to remove all bloatware from the carrier, there was and still is no law that says your warranty is voided.

However, the phone companies will not update your devices until the r o o t e d has been returned to factory settings. And the carriers have all stuck to this qualifier.

Alteration to your device does not necessarily mean cosmetic alteration but any alteration to the OS is still an alteration and that is the grounds Verizon and others will not warrant or provide updates to such altered devices.

No matter what Microsoft say's. It is totally carrier dependent what they want or allow on their networks.

Smiley Happy

0 Likes
mythos28th
Enthusiast - Level 3

Joining the development team costs $19.99.  Are you going to pay it for me?

0 Likes
primortal
Master - Level 1

It's only $19.99 if you build apps with your own code.  Go with Option 2 in Step 1 and it's free, Windows Phone Preview for Developers – Windows app development

0 Likes
MikeAdams
Enthusiast - Level 3

Problems with 8.1?  None, zero, zip, nada.  Everything works as advertised

0 Likes