Trophy Update to WP7.8
jsh17001
Contributor - Level 1

http://wmpoweruser.com/windows-phone-7-8-update-now-on-zune-regardless-of-carrier-and-model/

Has anyone tried this yet? Just wondering if it works on the Trophy. Can't try it until I get home from work tonight.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Trophy Update to WP7.8
jsh17001
Contributor - Level 1

Doesn't work. So either wait for VZN, (come on release the update) or go through the manual load of the CAB files.

0 Likes
jsmith1085
Enthusiast - Level 1

Of course, it works on every Trophy in the world that ISN'T on Verizon. STOP MEDDLING VERIZON.

0 Likes
ckincincy

In the past I was able to use the Zune trick.  Turn phone to airplane mode, go to the software and check for updates. 

Hit the "check now" button and wait a second or two and disconnect the phone from the PC. 

Its a timing issue so it may take a few tries.  The key is to put it into airplane mode, most walk throughs do not mention this need.

0 Likes
jsh17001
Contributor - Level 1

Sent an e-mail to VZW Customer service asking about the update. Here is what I got back:

Hello Scott,     

That is a great question. Being up date with the newest software available is always a good move. I did an internal check along with a check on all the available blogs but neither turned up any information regarding if/when an update to 7.8 would be pushed out by Microsoft/HTC.    

My personal suggestion would be to check on either Microsoft or HTC's website as they are usually the first know. In the interim you can always manually check for an update by connecting your HTC Trophy to your PC/Mac and using the installed Zune Software to check for updates and if available download the new software to your device.     

Should you need further assistance with your account do not hesitate to let us know.     

Sincerely,    

Lorenzo    

Verizon Wireless    

Customer Service    

If you have received this e-mail in error or are not the intended recipient, please notify us immediately by replying to this e-mail and deleting it and all copies and backups thereof. If you are the intended recipient and are a Verizon Wireless customer, this response is subject to the terms of your Customer Agreement.

Clueless customer service people......

0 Likes
pm_mazur

So according to the VZW Customer service, they know as much as you do, after all there just customer service. My guess is, since Verizon is using CDMA band (unlike all other Windows Phones) we have to wait longer in order to make the CDMA version to run properly.

Oh and the Zune airplane mode thing. It's unfortunately not going to work. I tried that out couple nights ago using my SIM unlocked Trophy while using a European SIM card and changed my regional settings, still nothing. So I'm pretty sure that the CDMA band is the lagging issue here. Aside from that I'm sure that Verizon has to go through their own "quality check" once they get their hands on the new release of the OS version and that'll probably take another 2 weeks.

But I'm confident that we're gonna get an update since we got the Mango update.

I just hope that I'll get the update before I upgrade to the Verizon's variant of their Nokia Lumia 920 phone aka "Laser." Yeah, I'm already assuming that it's the 920... What else could it be?

0 Likes
pa2k4p
Contributor - Level 1

>Post deleted to comply with VZW ToS concerning comments, links, suggestions concerning hacking or unofficial non Verizon Wireless update files<

Message was edited by: Verizon Moderator

0 Likes
pa2k4p
Contributor - Level 1

Don't forget, MSFT supports all phones with their code. Its up to the phone providers to release to customers. With that in mind, there officially IS a code base available publicly for the HTC Trophy. That is a promise kept by MSFT. As for other parties, its their ball. They can take it home if they wish.

0 Likes
pa2k4p
Contributor - Level 1

Man, I can't wait 'till my contract expires this summer.

jsmith1085
Enthusiast - Level 1

Mine just came up at the end of this month. Honestly I'm going to move if we don't see Nokia bring their top-tier phone to Verizon. My guess is the 41mp flagship will go to AT&T and Verizon will get a reskinned 920 that's almost a year late to the show.

I'll be on my way out too, screw this noise.

0 Likes