Trophy data connection lost after international travel on GSM
TrophyUser
Enthusiast - Level 2

There is a discussion going on at Windows Phone Central regarding the loss of data or 3G connectivity on the Trophy after returning from international travel where the Trophy is used with a SIM card on a GSM network. http://forums.wpcentral.com/trophy/182373.htm

It seems that this is a different flavor of the issue people have had using the HTC Connection app. In any event, the only remedy is to factory reset the phone when you get back from overseas, or, using Zune, revert to a backup, which means pre-Mango, then update to Mango again.

If anyone else is having this issue please make noise to Verizon and HTC so they get on it and solve it. Yes, the Trophy works overseas, but you should not have to factory reset your phone every time you get back.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Trophy data connection lost after international travel on GSM
alvinchen

Wow. how timely!  I JUST got back from a trip to the Caribbean, and this happened to me.  My 3G is not working, I have:

1) Pulled the SIM Card out and reseated

2) Dialed *228 and reactivated the phone

3) Dialed *228 and updated roaming

4) Switched from Global Mode to CDMA

5) Switched to Airplane mode, switched off

6) called Verizon Wireless Tech Support

Of course, their first answer was, "Ok, let's do a factory reset of your phone".  Seriously?  That's the FIRST thing to do?  Give me a break. 

"Hi, my roof is leaking, and I need my roof fixed."  "Ok, let's bulldoze the entire house, and start from scratch."

0 Likes
musu123

Ditto. Just spent 10 days inTurkey & Germany. Trophy data & voice worked flawlessly overseas on GSM. Returned to US, no 3G data. Spent 2 hrs. with tech support and six different technical types, each supposedly having “deeper access” into Verizon’s systems, all to no avail. Each tech seemed to be working off the same flow chart because we went through the same series of useless questions with no resolution to the issue.  

Ultimate solution – hard factory reset. This either needs to be a Trophy or Mango issue as wife’s iPhone 4S had no issues either abroad or upon return.

How can you advertise the Trophy as a “global” phone when you need to do a hard reset every time you come back to the States? Undocumented “feature”??? Come on Verizon, either fix it or give us phones that work!  

0 Likes
illegaloperatio
Enthusiast - Level 3

I suggest you run the HTC Connection Setup app (available from the Marketplace).

0 Likes
pylb

Same here, came back from Europe and no data connection.

FYI I did a trip to Europe before the Mango update and did not have that problem.

I did run the Connection Setup app but to no avail

0 Likes
musu123

illegaloperatio, with all due respect, have you used the HTC Connection Setup app to resolve the 3G International data connection issue? I have spent a considerable amount of time researching this issue and aside from a hard reset (totally unacceptable) no one that I have seen has been able to utilize that app (at least on a Trophy) to correct anything.

0 Likes
TrophyUser
Enthusiast - Level 2

This issue seems to be resolved with the HTC radio update Verizon just pushed out. Install the update, then install or re-install the HTC Connection Settings app. On return to the US, set your phone to CDMA and then go to the HTC Connection Settings app to confirm "United States" and "Verizon".

WP_Owner00
Enthusiast - Level 1

I did not travel internationally, but had lost data connection to my phone for the past week.  I followed all the steps by alvinchen and then also used the HTC "Connection Setup" app.  I have 7.10.7720.68 installed.

The result was the return of that sweet, little 3G icon in the top level.  Woohoo!

0 Likes
KWierso

I had this issue, too, after traveling to the UK.

Ironically, I wasn't able to use my phone over there for some reason. But when I came back, I had no data.

Verizon support told me to restart my phone to see if that would fix it. I restarted it, and it was remotely reset to factory.

0 Likes
xverison

This is still an issue. Upon returning from Euro trip, I had to do a factory reset to get data connection and punctually dropped Verizon.

0 Likes