Unable to change APN settings in Lumia 928
nakes
Enthusiast - Level 2

I don't get why this functionality is being blocked by Verizon. It´s not present by default on the firmware, and it doesn't work to change the settings from the access point app from Nokia. I've bought the phone on the Microsoft Store and it's being advertised as "fully unlocked", which is not true since it's mandatory to be sticked to Verizon services to access features as data and MMS.

I guess I already know the answer, but is it any way to work this out?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Unable to change APN settings in Lumia 928
idonknow

I just chat with Verizon representative, and asking about the unlocking Nokia Lumia 928. they told me that I have to ask the other country carrier to unlock the phone for me if i want to use it in other country. They told me that VZW do not support unlocking phone.

VZW: It can be unlocked but we do not support that.

Me: then who support it?

VZW: You would have to have the other carrier out of the country do that for you.

0 Likes
nakes
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks for the reply. Smiley Happy

I think the phone is unlocked indeed. It recognized the SIM card from a different carrier, and phone and SMS works as expected. It even shows as connected to 3G or EDGE as well. However, it seems the APNs still are pointing to Verizon servers which makes every data request to fail.

I've googled about it and some people mention that changing the APN is being locked by Verizon on the firmware. So I think it's not related with the other carrier out of the country, instead it's related with Verizon mods on WP8.

0 Likes
moose9703

Ok this is pretty much whats happening and its pissing me off. I dont know for sure but from everyone I have talked to and researched this is whats going on.  The phone is "unlocked" reason why i have it in quotations is becuase even though its "unlocked" verizon has pretty much prevented the owner of the phone (i bought this phone for full price, i should be able to do what i want with it! even if i felt like buying it just to throw it over a bridge!) to change the apn.. This is the same story line that happened with the note2 at the beginning of the year.  People bought it thinking they can go overseas and pop in a sim and be on their way.  Pissed off a bunch of people. Once people realized they couldnt they complained to verizon until they sent out an update (6 months later).  All I have to say is verizon, acknowlege you messed up and fix it asap!  l

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I understand your desire to unlock your phone for international usage .Allow me to shed a little light on this situation, nakes. We do offer the option to unlock devices; however, you must meet a few requirements:

1. Must be a current customer. Verizon only unlocks devices for current customers.
2. The device being unlocked must be active on a Verizon line of service.
3. The line of service must be active for at least 60 days.
4. The line of service must be in good standing for the past 60 days.

Note: Good standing is defined as:
  • Balance must be current.
  • No service suspensions or hotlines in the past 60 days.

I hope this explanation provides you with the information that you're looking for. Have a great evening.

ChaunceyM_VZW

Follow us on twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
carljanderson
Enthusiast - Level 2

I thought all of the 4G phones with 3G SIM unlocked? Is that wrong?

0 Likes
nakes
Enthusiast - Level 2

You should know this result in a violation of the (CFR) 47 CFR 27.16 (e).

0 Likes
hvqboy
Enthusiast - Level 1

This is really a pain.  I have been a paying VZN customer for a zillion years. What ChaunceyM_VZW states above is disingenous. It means that the phone is "global ready" maybe, under certain conditions, etc.  Even those who meet those conditions get nailed though:

I bought the phone SPECIFICALLY to take with me on my trip to Spain.

I was assured that the phone was fully unblocked.

Not true, as Nakes points out above: "it seems the APNs still are pointing to Verizon servers which makes every data request to fail."

This is so wrong in so many ways. Verizon BLATANTLY lies when it sells this phone as "global ready" device.

That is simply NOT TRUE.

The phone is fantastic but I cannot use it to send receive cellular data over my foreign carrier's 3G network in Spain.

Thanks a lot, fraudulent and/or incompetent Verizon!

0 Likes
nakes
Enthusiast - Level 2

Good news everyone, new Access Point app update works on Lumia 928!. I can confirm I'm able to setup APNs and have data access.

hvqboy
Enthusiast - Level 1

Nakes this sounds sooo exciting!  Thanks.

However I am not sure how to get to the Access Point app at all.  😞 

Would you be so kind to help me get there?

🙂

Thanks again!

Harry

0 Likes