Unexplained periodic data activity
GT77
Enthusiast - Level 1

Our new Nokia Lumia 928 is using large amounts of data, on its own, at regular 6 hour intervals.  The average data usage is 40 to 120 MB.  I found a reference in the  iPhone 5 discussion board that shows the exact issue I am having:

"Since I purchased the iPhone 5 about 4 months ago, my usage has increased approximately 1.5 GB.  Each month since I've purchased I've had to call and increase my data.  I've spoken to Verizon approximately 5 times with no clear answer and no resolution.

The first month I thought possibly since I had a new phone, it was my problem, however, by the third month I called to see what was going on.  I was told that I needed to be sure to shut down my apps after using them (although I had never done this before), I began to do this, and I also began to start tracking the data usage on my phone.

When I started looking at my data usage I noticed that I would have data recorded at exactly the 6 hour mark.  So for example, the last three days I have had usage only at the following times.  1:41am, 7:41am, 1:41pm, 7:41pm.  This pattern will continue for a few days then it will switch to different times, albeit still 6 hour increments.  AND the usage at most of the times is at times that I'm at home on Wifi.  When I added up all the usage while I was at home, I found the additional 1.5 GB of usage each month."

There is no correlation between what we are doing and the time that the data is being transmitted.  Sometimes it is while we are asleep, sometimes at work, etc.

Help, please!  I've had to up our data plan to keep from going over this month, but shouldn't be in this position!

Thanks.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Unexplained periodic data activity
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

Did you ever get this figured out?  I haven't seen this increase on my Lumia - we use wifi at home all the time and I haven't seen any data spikes since we activated the Lumia several months ago.

Check your settings for wifi - set to auto connect when wifi is in range, and notify when new networks are discovered.  I also have it checked to Keep wifi on when the screen times out.

Cellular settings - don't roam, LTE/CDMA for mode selection, and I do have it set to use cellular data for limited wifi.

I use the data sense appand that will tell you which app is using the data, and also use wifi whenever possible to conserve your cellular data. If it didn't come pre-installed, go to apps and install it.

0 Likes
cjderby
Enthusiast - Level 1

Our family is having the same 6 hour interval problem.  On all 4 phones on the account.  Three are iPhone 5's, one is an Android.  We all are on wi-fi constantly at home.  Yet data charges continue to rack up.  No help from Verizon.  Hoping somebody out there has found the fix!

Thanks.

brentvideo
Enthusiast - Level 1

a week ago a Verizon Rep told me that she would do a Data Inquiry and that the mysterious 6 hour interval data charges would stop after about 5 days.

it has been 6 days, and they have not stopped.

she also said i could have a new SIM card put in at the Verizon Store.  I'm not sure that will work either.

has that worked for anyone else?

These Data Charges appear to be Apple 'services' that cannot be turned off.

0 Likes
manu4t

I had an ungodly amount of data (30GB) being used without explanation - it turned out it was the gmail account I had synced to the phone.  The data sense app should tell you which app or apps are using your data - a common problem I found was with gmail.  I deleted the gmail account after going to the Verizon store and also spending 30 min ofhte phone with Nokia, which was a waste of time (their techs are horrible, BTW).

If your problem is gmail, take it off your phone - settings, then email accounts, hold the google mail down and delete it.

As an aside, I also had to remove Google Chrome from my desktop for a similar issue.  I am really anti-Google at this point.

0 Likes