Re: Verizon Wireless and Surface Phone Revisited
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

If it is such a "ridiculous process" why is Apple, Motorola, Samsung, Google and other manufacturers getting their devices certified by the FCC for the CDMA radios used by Verizon Wireless and a few other carriers?

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
primortal
Master - Level 1

Ann154 I think you're missing the key point

jmthomas87 wrote:

From what I have seen and read about, it sounds like with the ridiculous process OEMs have to go through to get "certified" on CDMA, it is not a money making venture really unless you sell several hundred thousand units.

Apple knows they can sell million of devices so the cost is worth it.  Plus I bet the carriers are confident that the devices would work so don't scrutinize them as much as an unknown devices.

Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

I noticed you didn't address the other manufacturers that have universal devices that work on Verizon Wireless and likely sold a lot less than Apple devices.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
primortal
Master - Level 1

Like Android?  Same thing, they probably sell more units (because of advertising) than Windows Mobile.

You have to ask yourself why would Microsoft and HP not configure their devices to work on VZW where the devices can be sold unlocked.  It's either there's a cost issue or VZW has [removed] off Microsoft that much that they don't care anymore about getting their devices to VZW customers.

0 Likes
dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

Now I am seeing reports that Microsoft will be halting production of Lumia phones come this December.

If this is true, then, Verizon Wireless will have no Windows Mobile phones come 1/1/17...unless...another OEM steps up to the plate.

0 Likes
TIMNEW93
Enthusiast - Level 3

Any thoughts on what to do next if you are a Windows phone user?  I re-upped last year with the 735 (which I like, by the way), but it is looking more and more like there won't be anything comparable anytime soon.  One thing you don't hear about a lot is that Lumia phones were very nice phones for the money, aside from doing a great job of linking up with Microsoft's Office suite and other products.  Looking through Verizon's phone line-up now it's mostly high end handsets.  I feel like no matter what I do, I will be taking a quite a step downward unless I fork over big bucks (enough to buy a pretty decent desktop), not to mention having to switch to Android or Apple.  Any thoughts?  Anybody tried switching to AT&T for a 950?

0 Likes
dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

User Tidbits has a 950.

Based on what HP has done with the x3...making a GSM only variant...and the limited approach that Microsoft took with the Lumias...am now of the impression that there will be no new Windows Mobile phones for VZW customers until VZW has its next generation network up and running around 2019.

HP and Microsoft don't seem to want to spend the money for CDMA certification and licensing at this point and when the Surface Phone does make an appearance, it too could very well likely be GSM only.

0 Likes
mama23dogs
Legend

I'm with AT&T we have quite a few 950 and self purchased 950 XL on the network.  Still have a bunch of other low budget windows phones as well 640 and 650 as well as unlocked GSM only.   There are also plenty of windows available for those who go unlocked (GSM only)

As pointed out earlier, getting past the FCC with CDMA is a hurdle some get tired of trying to get over.

If any of you heard of the Nextbit Robin, it was a start up that was supposed to have a CDMA version.  They held up the GSM version a few months.  Eventually they gave up on the FCC and scrapped the CDMA and refunded downpayments. 

Without more support Windows may have a lot in common with the dodo bird And blackberry.

0 Likes