Verizon to get Nokia Lumia 719?
Mafdude
Enthusiast - Level 3

I've been following the Lumia 900 story since it was leaked a few days ago.(and getting gadget depressed)  Just today, as more information was discovered, some poster in the "know" stated that Verizon would be getting a "version" of the 710 dubbed 719.  This low-mid range device would have FFC and LTE support.  I have seen renders of this device and while small (3.7inch screen it looks like) it looks a helluva alot better than the 710 that Tmobile is getting.  and while it is by no means a high end windows phone device that us VZN subscribers want, I would be satisfied until Appolo comes out in the fall where VZN should get off their ass and come out with more devices.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Verizon to get Nokia Lumia 719?
primortal
Master - Level 1

Nice but I'm still disappointed in VZW not getting a high end WP device.  Looks like at&t still bests VZW every time when it comes to getting top end devices first.  Will have to wait till next week to see if the rumors pan out.

I can't wait for the Andriod bubble to pop and all they have left is the iPhone....

0 Likes
chinch
Contributor - Level 1

3.7" is too small for me but OK for mainstream $49-99 phone and still larger than every iPhone sold to date. This would be a welcome addition but bank on VZW lagging on WP7.5/WP8 Apollo devices for at least the duration of 2012.

More info on the Nokia LTE Ace/900 is coming out and it seems that at&t has exclusivity on that device for "hero status" and $100 million marketing campaign starting 2nd QR 2012. That is roughly similar to the original Moto "Droid" campaign Verizon ran in 2009 for the holidays.

http://betanews.com/2012/01/03/windows-phone-partners-bet-100m-on-nokia-ace/

The timetable and $$$ also allows one to connect the dots that iPhone 5 won't ship that quarter due to $$$ spent by at&t, giving LTE WP7 4.3" superphone a nice window.

Verizon customers wanting premier windows phones should begin to bleed contracts and consider alternate options.

0 Likes
primortal
Master - Level 1

An article on PocketNow is reporting that Nokia is preparing exclusive Windows Phones for each carrier.  Not sure if that means VZW is getting the Lumia 710/719 or something completely different.

http://pocketnow.com/windows-phone/nokia-preparing-exclusive-windows-phones-for-each-carrier?utm_sou...

0 Likes
sm4astan
Enthusiast - Level 3

Exclusive 7XX series?  Not interested. 

0 Likes
bc3tech
Contributor - Level 2

Since 7-series isn't LTE, and I don't see them keeping 7-series name and putting LTE in one, VZW won't take it. That is, if they stick to their stance of "all new phones must be LTE"

0 Likes
chinch
Contributor - Level 1

700 refers to size (smaller than 800 and 900) not radio in all reality. They can rename the device also that is moot. Form factor makes sense, Verizon won't upstage iPhone and Droid with 4.3" or 4.7" superphone

Nokia TM advertise it as "running on the TM 4G network". The 710 can't work on Verizon so it needs a new chip/radio.

http://press.nokia.com/2011/12/14/t-mobile-brings-nokia-lumia-710-to-the-u-s/

Remember Verizon passed on all WP7 devices made to date - including the Ace/900 - except when for the Trophy which it began to sell 8 months after it was launched overseas.

0 Likes
bc3tech
Contributor - Level 2

ha news to me, i really thought the 710 wasn't 4G. good to know.

totally agree w/ you on the point about them not getting a WP7 that'll upstage their Android offerings. Upstaging the iPhone in terms of specs isn't hard, though. Smiley Happy that screen is TINY!

0 Likes
chinch
Contributor - Level 1

It's ironic also that Sprint/Verizon (the US carriers with the worst phones due to CDMA and poor leadership) have no 4G windows phones where at&t has 3 (Focus Flash, Focus S, Titan) and Tm has 2 (radar/710). With 3 LTE coming to AT&T (Samsung didn't announce their yet). TM has no "LTE".

Yet both are proud of having a woeful 3G iPhone and Sprint just committed$ 20 BILLION on iPhone when it doesn't even know what network/frequency it will use in 2 years. ROTFLMAO

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-10-03/sprint-tumbles-after-report-of-20-billion-commitment-for-ip...

0 Likes
LE2Strat
Enthusiast - Level 3

The "4G" phones on TM and ATT are HSPA+ though, not LTE 4G.  The Lumia 900 will be the first LTE phone.  LTE is much faster then HSPA+.

And I doubt Verizon will get a 710/719 or whatever they call it.  1.  It's not a LTE phone, like Verizon wants all their smartphones to be.  2.  If Nokia were to somehow redesign it, and get an LTE radio in there, the price would go up, which would go against the budget price the 710 model was going for to start with.  Also, I don't see them getting a bigger battery in there, and 1300 mHa is not going to be big enough for an LTE phone.

The whole 719 thing was a rumor I believe, and Nokia has nothing to hide with the 710, it's already out on TM, so they would have said something by now I would think if it was coming to Verizon.  Nokia also said they wanted to have different devices on different carriers in the US.  Having the 710 on TM and Verizon makes no sense.

0 Likes