Visual Voicemail HTC 8X
marcmackey

My visual voicemail app keeps crashing on my HTC 8X. When it does work, it continuously says downloading messages, and I have to re-login more often than should be required. I also get prompts to set it up like I'm opening it for the first time, like it deleted my settings. Reviews on the Microsoft Store for this app indicate my problems are fairly common across the board for this app.

Is there an update coming for this app? Apparently Verizon can't code and doesn't QA their apps. They should really be ashamed of themselves for such a sub-par effort - it's not like these bugs can't be reproduced or are intermittent.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Visual Voicemail HTC 8X
primortal
Master - Level 1

Visual voicemail on my Lumia 822 works like a champ except I cannot archive my voicemails.  It seems the programmers forgot that option.  I don't see how the version on HTC is any different than the Lumia is.  The only think I can see is the OS is at a different revision than the Lumia

0 Likes
marcmackey

I don't know what the difference is, but they must not have tested on the 8X. I've uninstalled, reinstalled several times, and have the same behavior. I just did it again today, and for whatever reason the first time I launch it it crashes, then if I relaunch within a few minutes it opens, I set it up, enter my passcode, and it re-downloads all my voicemails. It's really an embarrassment to have such a key feature behave like that.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thanks for contacting us, marcmackey.
There are a couple of things that we can do in order to resolve this crashing error with your visual voicemail.
I can just imagine how frustrating it would be.
Our support team recommends that we first unsubscribe you from Visual Voice Mail to reset it.
After unsubscribing the customer from VVM (Visual Voice Mail), unpin the VVM tile from home screen
2. Power down the device
3. Reboot the device and add the tile again for Voicemail to home screen
4. Subscribe to VVM from phone again

If the issue is still seen, it could be that there is no active SIM in device or device is out of service. Please ensure the device shows it is in service by tapping on the top of the screen.

As usual, a hard reset also seems to correct the concern http://vz.to/UiYXdP.

Please keep me posted.

Tamara H.
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
primortal
Master - Level 1

Tamara when will there be an update that will allow us to save voice mails to our phone?  This is one of the features I'm paying $3 a month for and its missing in Windows Phone.

0 Likes
marcmackey

Interesting that you mention the SIM could be the problem, at the Verizon store when i purchased the phone the rep had issues getting the SIM to work. Also, one of the many error messages the voicemail app throws is that it occasionally complains that there is no SIM card. Otherwise the phone works great though, good calling, call quality, no dropped calls, etc.

I removed the SIM, cleaned it a bit, and reinserted. I also followed your instructions above. So far it seems OK, but honestly I don't have high hopes that it will last. I'll check back in a few days and report if it works or not.

0 Likes
Maui-Tech-Guru
Enthusiast - Level 2

I had the same issue, and when the volume up/down stopped working I had Verizon replace my phone, and the SIM card as well. Now after 4 week the new replacement phone & SIM card does the exact same thing; asks me to subscribe, can't download messages, crashes voice mail app, and can't download messages... really poor performance .. not sure what's next .. perhaps back to Youmail instead.

0 Likes
twistdshade
Enthusiast - Level 3

Save yourself $3 per month and use google voice.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Maui-Tech-Guru, I'm sorry to hear that you're still having this issue after replacing the phone. Have you ever attempted a hard/factory reset for this issue? One of my co-workers had a similar issue with the Visual Voicemail and a hard reset resolved the issue. http://vz.to/YLeXTu

Let me know if you're still having this issue afterwards.

MarquiaF_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
Maui-Tech-Guru
Enthusiast - Level 2

I haven't factory reset device. I've found that if I power off the phone, remove SIM card and clean with electric contact spray (watch out not to spray too much inside device as it might flow to areas such as screen and hence ruin screen!) then insert SIM card and boot phone again; then it will be good for a week or two. I also find that perhaps temperature and humidity might be part of this; my car cradle sits in front of the A/C vent so I might be freezing the phone too much. I've never before had an issue like this with any other device, and since both phone + SIM was already replaced I didn't want to factory reset device. So there is likely nothing wrong with the voicemail app; if the SIM can't be read properly then device isn't allowed to communicate with voicemail service as it can't identify subscription; fixing SIM contact fixes voicemail issue too. .. I'll try to not A/C cool phone so much and see what happens. So that's my 2-cents for now..

0 Likes