W7-Trophy GPS Navigation Apps
Neil_B

Does anyone use a GPS Navigation app that they really like?

I'd like to find something like Navigon or TomTom, but don't really see anything out there.

I hear some saying that we have to wait for the Mango upgrade...  I hope not.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: W7-Trophy GPS Navigation Apps
DroidudeAZ
Contributor - Level 2

Does the Trophy have any kind of built in software like Google Maps and Nav? If not, is the Verizon Navigator the only option now? Will the Mango update include built in maps and navigation from Microsoft? Any input would help.

0 Likes
Neil_B

It came with a "Maps" app that is like Google maps.  It can use gps to locate where you are and displays Google Earth type images or street maps.  You can enter start and end points and it will give you a text list of driving directions (like Mapquest).  I don't see Verizon Navigator as an option on the W7-Trophy.

I'm really looking for an app that will replace my car gps unit.  An app that will show 3D views of the streets, arrows pointing out what lane to be in, and audio promps ("turn left in 500 feet", etc).  If anyone knows of an available app for the W7-Trophy with Verizon please let me know.  (It seems to be available for other W7 phones from Navigon for instance.)

0 Likes
chinch
Contributor - Level 1

Don't wait for Mango as turn-by-turn was not yet shown or available.

There are at least two very good voice-prompted turn by turn offerings at a great price and free trial up to 12 miles.

good wrap up here:

http://www.wpcentral.com/voice-navigation-round-up-gps-voice-vs-turn-turn-navigation

0 Likes
DroidudeAZ
Contributor - Level 2

Thanks for the tip and the link. At least there is something available that seems to do a good job with Nav. Do you own a WP7 Trophy? if so, do you like it?

0 Likes
chinch
Contributor - Level 1
A co-worker has the Trophy. It's good, solid device. Nice form factor, 16gb storage, super fast & responsive like any Windows Phone. I personally switched to at&t last Nov and use a Samsung Focus Windows Phone. Now running Mango Smiley Happy Needed a real device for development and the Focus is great (at&t has more phone choices and similar coverage here).
As Mango comes to RTM - assuming turn-by-turn is not included with Bing Maps (MS & WP hanset OEMS now have Ovi maps from Noika also) these apps will only get better and better (they're great now). TomTom devices alone used to charge 99/year for map upgrades alone.

DroidudeAZ wrote:

Thanks for the tip and the link. At least there is something available that seems to do a good job with Nav. Do you own a WP7 Trophy? if so, do you like it?

0 Likes
chudster94
Enthusiast - Level 3

Actually turn-by-turn will be included with Mango although admittedly it's a bit of a kludgey implementation.

It's demo'ed here towards the end of the review:

http://pocketnow.com/windows-phone/the-ultimate-windows-phone-7-mango-preview

As far as someone who own's a Trophy, I do and I love mine. I think the Windows Phone OS makes the Trophy one of the best smartphones available and it's only going to get better after the Mango release.

0 Likes
chinch
Contributor - Level 1
TbT is not actually confirmed.
The review is correct in what is currently shipping in Mango Previews. It's basically improved map tracking that read the directions. It is not turn-by-turn directions, only "tap and read the route" directions at this time though.

chudster94 wrote:

Actually turn-by-turn will be included with Mango although admittedly it's a bit of a kludgey implementation.

It's demo'ed here towards the end of the review:

http://pocketnow.com/windows-phone/the-ultimate-windows-phone-7-mango-preview

As far as someone who own's a Trophy, I do and I love mine. I think the Windows Phone OS makes the Trophy one of the best smartphones available and it's only going to get better after the Mango release.

0 Likes
Neil_B

Thanks much for the link to review, the Turn-By-Turn app looks like the best and the YouTube video of Turn-By-Turn that is attached to the review was very helpful.

I'm going to give Turn-By-Turn a try and will try to update this post once I do, but I'm hoping that someone (like Navigon) will put out a full blown car gps app like they had for Windows Mobile 6.x (see link below)

http://www.navigon.com/portal/us/produkte/navigationssoftware/mobile-navigator-windows-phone-us.html

Maybe there is a good reason that no one like Navigon or Tom Tom have touched the W-7 mobile app market yet.

0 Likes
M-Kohlman
Enthusiast - Level 3

Just a quick FYI:

Turn-by-Turn has been updated since that review was posted.  I've had the latest version for a few days now.  Works quite well and I would tend to agree with others that it is the current best bet.

- Michael

0 Likes