What I have garnered from the whole WP 8.1 update fiasco.
vzwenduser
Contributor - Level 2

It would be nice if we had the freedom to install operating systems on our phone as we wished.

For example: I can install a Windows Operating System or a Linux operating system on my desktop/laptop computer because for all intents and purposes the program uses the same architecture. I shouldn't be trapped into one ecosystem. If I wanted to go back to Windows Phone 7, for some odd reason, I should not be hindered from doing so. You know there is always that possibility someone would want to load up a Windows 95 on their new desktop, maybe for nostalgia, who knows. I know drivers would have to be written for new operating systems, but that hasn't stopped computer manufactures from doing so thus far, although there was that hiccup with 64 bit drivers.

Smartphones have gotten to a point that they are not their old Symbian Operating Systems. I can't remember ever carrying if my Symbian system was updated. Just as you can install Windows XP on a computer running Windows 95, people expect the same or similar ability from our smartphones. Even if our phones had a virtual machine to boot OSs due to hardware conflicts, such a system would be in a better direction than the current system. There is way to much red tape in the mix currently. I don't have all the answers, but the industry ought to be coming up with better ideas and solutions.

Let Verizon just provide the service like cable companies provide a television signal or an internet service, or like a utility provides power or water.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: What I have garnered from the whole WP 8.1 update fiasco.
Not applicable

Its called Apple Smiley Happy

[Quote]

Let Verizon just provide the service like cable companies provide a television signal or an internet service, or like a utility provides power or water.

[/Quote]

Totally agree. But then Verizon would be under regulatory authority not just in the states but Federal Government as well.

0 Likes
vzwenduser
Contributor - Level 2

I am ok with them being under regulatory authority.

Apple is not doing what I would like done. I want the ability to use Apple, Windows Phone, Android, Firefox OS, Ubuntu, and any other OS on my phone. Well not a desktop OS but you get the idea. We should get the ability to choose the OS we like just as I can do on a Windows computer. If I don't like what Microsoft is putting out I can try my had at the various Linux distros. Apple has been using intel chips in their computers for a while now so it can all be done. The hardware should have standards that all phones go by. That way people can choose their phone and their OS. This would also mean that Apple and Microsoft would have to allow people to ability to put other operating systems on their hardware since they are both in the hardware manufacturing business. I rather software and hardware manufactures be separate though.

Obviously we would still have the big three operating systems. Android, iOS, and Windows.

0 Likes
vzwenduser
Contributor - Level 2

I know you can root phones but this kind of development is slow for obvious reasons. There is not enough man power with the knowledge of how to do such things and people have to eat so they have to get paid. So taking from the structure that Microsoft has set in the desktop environment, where we buy the operating system for our Mobile phones, is a better solution. We get the service packs as a part of the maintenance of the operating system.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

vzwenduser wrote:

I know you can root phones but this kind of development is slow for obvious reasons. There is not enough man power with the knowledge of how to do such things and people have to eat so they have to get paid. So taking from the structure that Microsoft has set in the desktop environment, where we buy the operating system for our Mobile phones, is a better solution. We get the service packs as a part of the maintenance of the operating system.

Apple tried that model.  It was met with great resistance.  I don't see it ever going that way.

Apple tried with their iPod to see if people would pay for updates.  They charged $10 if you wanted to update your iPod.  That was the last time they tried as well...  Their user base has spoken.

0 Likes
vzwenduser
Contributor - Level 2

Tidbits, the ecosystem for iOS is different than what I am proposing. I am not familiar with any resistance in updating Windows 95 to Windows 2000, then to Windows XP, and then to Windows 7. Notice I skipped the OS iterations from Microsoft that had obvious issues. All the while we get Service Packs, updates, and security updates for free from Microsoft as they come available through Windows update. Although you can do more with an iPod than listen to music I think people might see a fast cutting edge smart phone as useful as a computer and worth paying for new operating systems. You can hook your phone up to a bigger screen through miracast as well as tethered without rooting and use it as your personal computer. You can also print from your phone. So smart phones I believe have the great possibility to take on new meaning if only developers and manufactures would allow it by putting efforts towards it.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

Again Apple tried the pay to play model. Regardless of what phones can do now or before. People are turned off paying for updates. Since that attempt Apple moved completely away from that, and updated all their devices for free even the iPods after the fact their attempt failed. I believe I got credit for paying for the update since no one was paying for the update.

Personally I don't mind the pay to play system, but we are the minority. If people aren't paying for updates majority of the public will end up expecting updates for free. It's starting to happen on the OS level for PCs. Apple is starting to offer their major updates for free. Last one was free and this one coming up is free. How much longer until people expect to get them free from MS? MS sees it coming.

0 Likes