What are the best apps on Windows Phone 7?
zekester

I just picked up the HTC Trophy today from the Microsoft Store after someone stole my Droid (original) over the weekend. I think I must be half crazy, because I passed up on the Droid Charge with its awesome screen and 4G connectivity. And I really like Samsung phones.

But the deal at the MS Store was too good to pass up and I've been curious about the new Windows phones. I think I like it so far, but it's different. I suppose it will take some getting used to.

So now I'm ready to download some apps... I looked through the forum but didn't see too many posts with recommendations. What are some of your must-have apps for the Trophy?

Here is what I need:

• Weather
  • Sports scores
  • Movie showtimes
  • TV listings
  • Book reader
  • Tip Calculator
  • Mortgage Calculator
  • Games
  • Anything else that I can show off to my friends (I don't want my friends to make fun of me for my OS choice - they all have iPhones and Droids!)

Let me know what's working well for you.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: What are the best apps on Windows Phone 7?
chudster94
Enthusiast - Level 3

I haven't downloaded a ton of apps as of yet but I can give you some feedback based on what I've used so far:

• Weather

The HTC Hub has a built in weather app that's location aware. Seems to be decent.

• Sports scores

I use the ESPN app which is great. It also lets you store your favorite sports / teams and it aggregates news and schedules for your choices which I like!

• Movie showtimes

I've used the IMDB app so far which I like. I've been meaning to download Fandango and give that I try but I haven't gotten around to it yet. I also like the IMDB app because it's just a great reference for anything movie or TV related.

• Anything else that I can show off to my friends (I don't want my friends to make fun of me for my OS choice - they all have iPhones and Droids!)

I think just showing them the OS itself will most likely impress them. I know those that I've shown it to so far are impressed by how polished and responsive it is and the fact that it can already do virtually anything that iOS and Andriod can do today. And WP will surpass both IMHO after the release of Mango later this year in terms of functionality.

0 Likes
chinch
Contributor - Level 1
The Windows Phone overall look and feel with great performance will impress any phone user.
For apps just search marketplace...
The Weather Channel
ESPN, Score Mobile, Hockey Tracker, etc
Bing search (search button) shows movie showtimes (turn on location search) otherwise Fandango, Rotten Tomatoes.
TVShow (or TVShow Lite)
TipIt
Many others... USA Today is fantastic, Netflix, Slingbox, Resco Radio or  TuneInRadio, News360, etc

zekester wrote:

I just picked up the HTC Trophy today from the Microsoft Store after someone stole my Droid (original) over the weekend. I think I must be half crazy, because I passed up on the Droid Charge with its awesome screen and 4G connectivity. And I really like Samsung phones.

But the deal at the MS Store was too good to pass up and I've been curious about the new Windows phones. I think I like it so far, but it's different. I suppose it will take some getting used to.

So now I'm ready to download some apps... I looked through the forum but didn't see too many posts with recommendations. What are some of your must-have apps for the Trophy?

Here is what I need:

• Weather
  • Sports scores
  • Movie showtimes
  • TV listings
  • Book reader
  • Tip Calculator
  • Mortgage Calculator
  • Games

Let me know what's working well for you.

0 Likes
thejester77
Contributor - Level 1

Here's the appz that I love and use on a regular basis...  Have had phone from first day Verizon released and have enjoyed more than any phone I have ever owned, and can't wait for all the goodies that will be released with Mango...

Also, if the Job Ad that Microsoft placed is true, we could be looking at updates yearly just like Service Packs for Windows Desktop OS.

Here's the appz that I use:

Adobe Reader

AreaCodeLookUp

ArkWorks

Attentive Phone- A Must for extra ringing and phone feature (HTC App)

Bing Pictures Downloader- A Must if you want to change your desktop or screen saver/lock screen

CNN News

Compass

Converter

Facebook (Official Facebook App)

Flashlight

Fox New Feed

GasBuddy

Google Search

Jack of Tools- Really Cool Multple Purposes Phone Tools

Last.Fm (Microsoft's version of Pandora) Awesome internet radio.  Was affraid nothing would replace Pandora, this DOES!!!

Level

Lists (HTC App)

Lyrics

NEWS (MSNBC RSS Feeder)

Notes

Photo Crop

Photo Enhancer

Radio Hub

Relaxinator

Slacker

Stocks (HTC App)

Stopwatch

System Information (A Must)

Tip Like A Pro!

TuneIn Radio

USA Today

Weather

WeatherBug (Best Weather App and comes with Live Tile) Just update settings so that the Tile Updates Often

Where's My Car

WP Bench (Great WP7 Benchmark App)

I use them all!!!

TheJester77

0 Likes
chudster94
Enthusiast - Level 3

Last night I installed the trial of Sky Wallet. It lets you store passwords, bank account info, credit card and other account no's, etc. It has a desktop companion version that lets you edit info right from your PC (also using a WP7 Metro style interface) and you can even back up your data to your SkyDrive via your Windows Live account. Best of all, it fully encrypts all of your data to keep it protected using 256-bit encryption.

This is a great little app and I think I'm going to get the paid version in the next few days! Here's more info on the app:

http://www.appsfuze.com/applications/windowsphone.tools/sky-wallet,4898

0 Likes
zekester

Thanks for the tips you guys. I am finding several apps to fill my needs, but I am missing some of my really key apps from Android - particulary google voice, words with friends, and angry birds.

0 Likes
SurfMurph

Angry Brids is coming soon....Plants vs. Zombies is a great game while you're waiting.

0 Likes