What is Verizon's problem with Windows Phone?
joeford
Enthusiast - Level 1

Why does Verizon make using a Windows Phone so difficult for folks who like the platform?  For the past 20 years I have had only phones with a Microsoft OS.  Remember the MS Pocket PC?  Windows 10 makes that concept a reality.  I've been on the Verizon most of that time and there used to be support for and promotion of MS phones.  What happened?  Don't tell me there is no interest in the Windows Phone platform.  What is to be expected when Verizon sales people actively point customers to other devices.  And that behavior started years ago when Windows had an actual share of the market. 

The Windows Phone platform is far more interesting than the alternatives.  Apps? I have every App I need and you'll hear the same from every WP user.  WP interface is by far more advanced than Android or iOS.  Windows 10 will make this the platform of choice for business.

DONE WITH VERIZON.  -  If there will be no more support for Windows Phone from Verizon, my 4 line, $300 per month account will be moving to ATT.  Verizon does not seem to get the idea that the type of phone that I use is more important than the network it is running on.

I look forward to some answers.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: What is Verizon's problem with Windows Phone?
dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

The 950 & 950XL won't work on VZW's network. Supposedly the phones have the capability to work, but, Microsoft is only allowing use on at&t's and T-Mobile's networks.

Elsewhere, Microsoft has admitted that it is keeping distribution small in the short term with the intent of expanding in the long term.

The feeling is that the next phones from Microsoft  (which are expected to be models wholly designed by Microsoft as opposed to the 950s which were on the drawing board before Microsoft's purchase of Nokia's handset division ) will be able to be used on VZW's network...even if VZW doesn't sell them directly.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I don't want you to even consider a move from our wireless family Joe. I also love Windows Phones, and I truly understand your desire for more Windows Phones options. Is there a specific function that look for in a phone or operating system? While we do not have any information about future phones coming to our network, you can find all windows phones available for our network at this link http://www.verizonwireless.com/devices/windows/
AntonioC_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
joeford
Enthusiast - Level 1

Antonio,  the specific function I am looking for is Verizon support of my preferred phone ecosystem, which by the way has been around longer than the ones Verizon promotes.  There is no one function or feature, it is the Windows Phone as a whole that I like.  You ask that as if there is some little thing that will switch me to an iPhone or Android.  That is just not happening, nor with any of the other posters on this forum, so you should stop asking.  The question is in Verizon's court - "When does Windows Phone get full support?".   I am well aware of the Windows phones VZW has and that the list is limited.  If I can not get the phone I want from Verizon, what choice do I have but to look elsewhere?  I have been happy with the Verizon network but the phone hardware/software is more important to me than the transmission method.

Jmthomas1987
Enthusiast - Level 2

I would be willing to bet joeford a large portion of the problem stems from two areas.

1) A fair number of the sales people have not either used a Windows phone in a business environment , or even held one for that matter.  Many are younger, in their early 20's to 30's and all they know is Apple since that is what is drilled into them in schools. Android is a play toy, something to game on.  Neither Apple nor Android is really designed to be used for work, both are designed for "media consumption" and that is what these kids know.

2) Try explaining what a business person needs in a phone to someone who has never worked in an actual business environment and their eyes just glaze over and they start making their pre-planned sales pitches since they don't know how to answer the questions.  I actually had to physically pick up a Samsung Note 5 from the display case, and show the salesgirl the name printed on the back because she kept saying it was a S6 and that it didn't have a glass back, which the Note 5 DOES have. 

That shows me a serious lack of training/knowledge about what they are selling and how can you expect decent service when they know the barest minimum to do their jobs?  That is the reason why I never buy a phone from a VZ store, I order it on-line and activate it over the phone or computer.

So, how do they fix the lack of product knowledge? Start actually training sales people to know what they are selling and paying them accordingly.  Any warm body can activate a phone, having someone who knows how and why that sim card is needed or how to reset network settings on can make or break a sale or a plan upgrade.

As far as Windows phones go, don't expect VZ to change.  They and their sales people are making too much in commissions from Apple and Samsung to start selling any other phone OS on an equal footing.  That is why I firmly believe every time I have asked about a Windows or BlackBerry phone at a VZ store, they do everything they can to steer me toward a Samsung or Apple phone, even after specifically telling them I wanted neither brand..

0 Likes
jmachats
Enthusiast - Level 3

For the best reporting on what is going on with Verizon and windows phones watch this - skip to the 1 hour, 1 minute mark if you don't want to listen to it all. Verizon is essentially blocking lumia phones from working on their network - they refuse to authenticate them

Windows Weekly 435: Windows Says Whaaat?! - YouTube

0 Likes
jmachats
Enthusiast - Level 3

In no way, shape, or form does that address the issue

0 Likes
rakazak

I agree if Verizon does not carry the 950's I will be moving to AT&T. Please listen Verizon

0 Likes
dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

The 950 & 950XL won't work on VZW's network. Supposedly the phones have the capability to work, but, Microsoft is only allowing use on at&t's and T-Mobile's networks.

Elsewhere, Microsoft has admitted that it is keeping distribution small in the short term with the intent of expanding in the long term.

The feeling is that the next phones from Microsoft  (which are expected to be models wholly designed by Microsoft as opposed to the 950s which were on the drawing board before Microsoft's purchase of Nokia's handset division ) will be able to be used on VZW's network...even if VZW doesn't sell them directly.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

^^this, and what I am honestly hoping for so I don't have to buy carrier branded phones.

0 Likes
jmachats
Enthusiast - Level 3

False. The unlocked phones have the capability to work on Verizon network but Verizon refuses to authenticate them.

Discussion starts at 1 hour, 1 minute mark or about a minute or two earlier

Windows Weekly 435: Windows Says Whaaat?! - YouTube

0 Likes