Re: When will Windows Phone 8.1 and Cyan Update be released? (Update)
MadDogFL62
Contributor - Level 2

I have found the Verizon stores a struggle to deal with in purchasing Windows Phones.  Thank goodness the Microsoft Stores carry the Verizon line of devices.  No big $$$ savings, but with my last purchase, I got the phone at the same price as a Verizon Store and got a free Nokia pillow charger thrown in with my purchase (ICON).  Plus, you can purchase an extended warranty with the phone at the Microsoft Store and it is half the price - and covers more than the Verizon insurance.  The deductible is also ~$25ish less.

mythos28th
Enthusiast - Level 3

When will my next Verizon bill be released? 

0 Likes
CHopper461
Enthusiast - Level 1

I just spoke to a Verizon rep at Customer Service and was told that the Nokia Lumia Cyan update will be released starting on August 12th.

I just hope that I was given accurate information. 

Jallenwest
Enthusiast - Level 2

Just spoke at length via chat to VZ.  She denies that there is any date as of yet.  Also tried to say it was up to Nokia and not VZ.  I didn't let that fly.  So, as it stand now VZ is still jerking us around

0 Likes
Not applicable

No Verizon is not jerking you around.

Customer service gave you the proper answer.

The carriers do not have to update your device. It is the device makers and the operating system makers.

As in your case Microsoft.

Good Luck

0 Likes
asphaltpilot
Enthusiast - Level 3

US carriers lobby big bucks to .gov so things don't get heavily regulated against their favor. We just have to vote with our wallets and switch.

JIce88
Enthusiast - Level 3

That's incorrect Elector, The firmware updates are tested by the carriers before released. It is up to Verizon when they release the Cyan firmware update.

0 Likes
Not applicable

Makes no difference if the carriers test the updates or not. They are not code testing. They are testing the Microsoft and device makers certification of the update.

If it works without incident to their networks it is pushed out.

However Apple devices have updates from Apple and this is something the device makers should do for their customers.

Verizon does not have to update your device, they don't even have to carry it on their networks. And the constant threats of if Verizon doesn't update my device I am going to file a complaint with this agency or that agency is not going anywhere.

The phone worked when purchased. If and when Verizon wants to push out any update is up to them.

Buying and using a device on any carrier does not mean the carrier must update the phone for life.

Good Luck

primortal
Master - Level 1

Granted FCC cannot force VZW to release updates in a timely manner.  But the number of complains against the carrier dose matter and if VZW sees these complains it might force them to change their policy about how they communicate to their customers on the update process/schedule.

To this day VZW doesn't say if and when they plan on updating devices that connect to their network.  The update just magically appears or the schedule leaks.  The same old school mentality goes for the other carriers as well.  It's like announcing a software update schedule is some type of corporate secret and they don't want to give the other carriers a leg up and beating them to the punch.  People don't leave carriers cause carrier A is going to release software updates ahead of carrier B.  Customer leave because of device exclusives.

A simple schedule based on calendar quarter will suffice and if that happens to change you update the page.  It's not rocket science.  It's being respectful to the people who pay you which in turn gives you great profits each quarter.

mythos28th
Enthusiast - Level 3

Verizon needs to update my phone if they want to keep my wife and I as subscribers.  I can get T-Mobile to pay my termination fee.  As a Windowsphone user, I have experience everything but outright contempt from the 3 Verizon Wireless stores I visited to find out more information on purchasing the phone that I wanted.  The technician had no idea about transferring data from an S3 to an Icon.  The Verizon response to this thread continues that condescending tone towards Windows users, like we are uneducated consumers.  The technology is great and integrates well with other PC devices.  The users will follow and once they do, so will the apps.  For now, I can deal with the number of lousy Windows apps, which I am sure are much less than the android/apple garbage apps out there.  August 12th seems reasonable.  By Labor Day would be nice.  The announcement was made in April, the commercials are being aired now.  The amount of money I pay to Verizon every month gives me the right to complain.

0 Likes