When will Windows Phone 8.1 and Cyan Update be released? (Update)
T_Williams
Enthusiast - Level 2

T-Mobile and AT&T are making progress, but not a word from Verizon Wireless.  What's Up?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
122 Replies
IcemanAM
Enthusiast - Level 2

While I agree to an extent that an FCC complaint likely isn't apropriate in this case, I can't agree that Verizon doesn't have some degree of responsibility, at least for me personally.

When I purchased my phone, many of the features of WP 8.1 were already announced, and as such, were used as selling points by a Verizon sales person when choosing my phone. The promises of Cortana (specically, though at the time it was still just the code-name) and other features, such as security improvements, were actively discussed, and were a major consideration of mine when deciding to go with the 928.

Now, to be fair, I'll never know if corporate Verizon gave the sales rep that information, or if it was something generated by that local store, or if it was just something the rep found on thier own while surfing the web. All I know is I was basically fed "You should buy this, look what's coming down the pipe", so to speak.

Regardless, I don't think its unreasonable to assume that corporate Verizon likely bears significant responsibility for the training of its sales people (if not directly, then through publication of training materials), and ensuring that proper communication is extended from the top, down to its sales employees regarding the products it sells, and what, if any, of that communication is passed on to customers. If they truely think that future updates and improved functionalities are potentially something they will not persure, for whatever reason, then I think they have a duty to inform the customers verbally at the time of purchase, rather than actively use those features as sales leverage. It simply is not right to promote features they may not ever implement, ultimately at thier discretion.

Now, if I had the foresight to get these promises in writing, or had recorded the conversation, and if Verizon came out and said they will not push the update, I might have had a legitimate case of consumer fraud for which a civil action could've been started. But, as I have neither of these, my only real recourse might be to file a complaint with the Better Business Bureau.

Additionally one might question if part of the reason Verizon is comparatively slow in its updates might be because Verizon sells additional security which might compete with security improvements included in said updates. I don't know this to be true, of course, but it does raise an eyebrow.

In the meantime, I have elected to run the preview for developers, and I'm loving it, having had no problems as of yet. While I might be shooting myself in the foot over this, by now the upper level techs at Verizon must know that there are a number of software applications and YouTube instructions out there on how to reset one's phone back to Nokia Black should Cyan cause problems, giving the appearance that no warrentee was ever violated, and that the store based "techs" couldn't find their own asses with both hands, let alone uncover such a deception.

0 Likes
Not applicable

Never believe sales people. They make their livelihood on generating sales. Not that deception is not one of the tools they use to make a sale.

Let's look at another point. You go into Best Buy the store salesperson says all these updates are coming and good things from Microsoft and the device maker. Now six months or more go by and no updates.

Do you then go after Best Buy? They are a retailer just like Verizon Wireless and the other carriers.

So on the retail side of Verizon that same sales pitch was made. So why would anyone think the carriers are obligated to push out any updates?

My personal take is the carriers cannot be held responsible for the updates. In fact when I buy my phones I am not looking for updates. I am looking at the functionality of the device at time of purchase. I do not expect nor in many cases want an update.

However on Apple devices the phones get updates on a regular basis from the device maker. This is what should happen with all device makers. Will it happen eventually? One can only hope.

As has been pointed out complaints to the FCC are pointless and baseless. They do not compel any carriers to update the devices.

Now let's look at your BBB complaint. What basis of complaint can be made? Verizon lied as a retailer to effect a sale? Well if that is the case then Walmarts and Best Buy and Radio Shack etc. Are just as guilty.

In this case what can the Better Business Bureau do? They cannot make Verizon or any carrier update your device.

And I have told many forum posters to use the BBB over the years to get money back, get phone charges removed and even get charges removed for returned devices. A phone update? I really don't think so.

If you device works now, be thankful. Then if you happen to receive an update in the future its a bonus.

Constantly posting on the forum about "where is our update" is absolutely useless.

But I liked your post.

Good Luck

primortal
Master - Level 1

Look you're enforcing your logic on a company that uses no logic, just motivate by profit.  VZW is responsible for devices on their network and the devices software. End. Of. Story.  You might not like it, tough; deal with it.  They have a responsibility to communicate to their customers what their plans are if and when they are rolling out the updates to said devices.

In regards to the iPhone, the same complaints came when 4.3 was released; Come on Verizon, where is the 4.3 update?  So VZW did even hold up a release to iOS, gee.

JIce88
Enthusiast - Level 3

I really wish I had gone with the 1520 on AT&T. They seemed quite eager to get the updates to there customers. So far the 1520, the 925 and the 520, all got the update.

The Lumia 930 is the international variant of the Icon, and that comes with Cyan firmware and windows 8.1 The only thing Verizon needs to test is how it works with their network, I have no information on any changes to firmware regarding the cellular connectivity. So what is it that Verizon is actually testing?

I have no reason to believe that there are any benefits to us that will come about from this 'testing.' I call shenanigans.

I really wish a Verizon Exec would take the time to explain to us what they are actually testing, and what benefits they feel they can give us that Nokia/Microsoft cannot.

0 Likes
CHopper461
Enthusiast - Level 1

Everyone just relax and take a deep breath.  The 8.1/Cyan update will be released starting tomorrow for all Nokia phones currently running WP8.0.  Verizon said it would so it will.  Right?

0 Likes
winnamon84

When did Verizon say this????

0 Likes
winnamon84

MadDogFL62 just received my call from Verizon about my FCC complaint, and they are still giving the same old canned answers.  Check Microsoft, Verizon to stay up to date.  So hopefully with more complaints they will be updating their devices soon.   Let me know your thoughts

0 Likes
MadDogFL62
Contributor - Level 2

So here is the catch.  Verizon cannot close your FCC case without you responding to their questions and letting them know you got your update or that your complaint is satisfied.  I am not sure what language you used with your complaint, but strange for them to call prior to the release.  The last 3 that I filed - I did not get a call from Verizon until the update came out.  They called after that and I confirmed my download.  But there's more...

As you can read from the blah, blah, blah above in the prior 10 pages of posts, the self-justifying blowhards have worn out their keyboards confirming the obvious.  There is not much that we can "force" Verizon to do.  It says so in our "customer contract" along with a list of lawsuit limitations - because VZW knows that is coming too.  This "no contract - no service" strong-arm tactic works the same way with your cable company, power company, bank, and other such semi-monopoly organizations that you are essentially "forced" to work with.  Sign the 1-sided contract or no service.

As I have mentioned in the past,  there is also, ironically, a government watchdog out there for a majority of those semi-monopolies.  With Verizon, the FCC looks over their shoulder.  "Check with Microsoft" was a very poor answer from your Verizon Rep because Microsoft tells us to call the FCC to complain about Verizon and the update.

So filing the complaint with the FCC does a few things.  It piles up a common list of complaints regarding Verizon with the FCC.  It does not matter if our complaint is a part of our contract or not.  It does not matter of our complaint pertains to some kind of FCC regulation.  The FCC collects our complaints and keeps stats.

NEXT, your complaint prompts Verizon to contact the  YOU to close out the FCC complaint.  This is where we need to act.

When Verizon calls to confirm that your FCC complaint has been satisfied, DO NOT CONFIRM ANYTHING.  Tell them that you are still having issue and request from them contact names, phone numbers and/or email addresses within Verizon where you can complaint directly to management.  Demand escalation points and be sure to get the name and phone number of the Damage Control Rep from VZW who calls you.

Verizon needs to be held accountable for some kind of change.  Either let Microsoft push the update out direct.  Verizon push the update out based on a documented schedule.  Verizon push the update out the day it is released.  Verizon work with Microsoft to pre-release test the update.  Or, some other reasonable resolution that is customer focused.  The Verizon points at Microsoft who points at the FCC go nowhere circle of "who cares" has got to end.  And since Verizon has 100% control of my phone while I am on their network - regardless of what their contract states - I plan to hold them 100% responsible for clearing this problem up.  And as I approach the end of Round 4 of my FCC complaints, I am going to make sure that THIS TIME I walk out with some VZW names and numbers.  It's time for some accountability.

www.fcc.gov/complaints  Got your 8.1 Cyan update yet?

0 Likes
Not applicable

Verizon is under no obligation to update your device. That obligation is Microsoft and the device maker.

You keep telling people to file FCC complaints which by your own postings show you do not know what you are writing about.

Verizon is a business like Walmart and Best Buy etc.

I noticed T-Mobile forums are complaining about not getting Windows updates, and more on folks waiting for seven months on ETF's reimbursed. So complaints abound on all carriers.

Again as I posted to you in the past, post positive proof that any complaint you submitted to the FCC actually made Verizon wireless jump and give an update. Proof, or stop the constant lying about Microsoft and Verizon.

Have a nice Tuesday

Message was edited as required by the Verizon Wireless Terms of Service.

Message was edited by: Admin Moderator

0 Likes
mythos28th
Enthusiast - Level 3

Shenanigans indeed!  It's simple, Verizon Wireless got my bill to me on time this month!  Why can't the technical support be as timely.  The customer is always right.  When can we expect the the Windows 8.1 update?

0 Likes
primortal
Master - Level 1

Again you are not going to convince anyone otherwise.  Just because you don't agree with MadDogFL62 tactics doesn't make it wrong.  Just because technically the FCC isn't the place to go; it's the only place to get awareness and a response from VZW.

I understand your logic but when it comes down to the wire VZW has final say if the release gets to the phones or not.  VZW put themselves in this place instead of letting the manufactures do the release so they have to deal with these complains.  As a paying customer complaining to VZW gets you nowhere and they feel they don't have to answers to us; you know the ones that gives them that wonder profit each quarter.  So the only other route is the FCC.

The FCC could easily respond back to the submitter that their complaint isn't valid and close it.  Yet they do see merit in it and contact VZW on the submitters behalf.

If Microsoft is truly the ones holding up the release (which I strongly believe) then VZW should say so and all these FCC complaints will go away.  Yet they remain quite...

Sometimes you have to do the wrong things to get the right things done.

Tidbits
Legend

Good luck...

I have not seen any factual evidence that the carriers are involved the way you think. Actually manufacturers have said themselves it doesn't work like the way you think...

The FCC follows protocol but I will tell you now this is wasted effort. FCC regulations MATTER. If nothing has passed regulation no update could ever happen PERIOD. So if Verizon isn't releasing an update and the manufacturer hasn't passed FCC testing then Verizon is automatically off the hook.

If you guys submitted something f with your complaint that shows the update passed the FCC and respective licensing consortium then you'd have a case or something that would stick.

Best of luck to you all. I have been through the system in both Europe and in the states. There's a lot less involved and red tape in Europe.

0 Likes
winnamon84

I have an HTC, so I don't think I will be getting the Cyan.  Maybe I am just wrong on that end.  Either way I do not have my 8.1 update yet.

0 Likes
JIce88
Enthusiast - Level 3

Cyan update is a firmware update for the Nokia/Microsoft device. I do not know if windows 8.1 update will require a firmware update for HTC. I would check Windows Phone Central Forums for more info on that.

0 Likes
hydrosmith

To those that are in charge of the software releases at Verizon; Verizon is on thin ice with me as it is. I get crappy data reception at work, the Windows Phone product choices are not so great, and the update rollouts have not been timely. I just do not think Verizon has any love for Windows Phone. The testing process is not all that rigorous. ( I do know a little about it guys)

One small thing in your defense is you have cdma and that makes you unique but who knows cdma like Verizon? You are the experts right?

You had the go-ahead from Microsoft as of June 24 of this year (when MS officially supported 8.1) to release so unless 8.1 is on my phone by August 24th, 2014 I will in this order, buy out my remaining 8 months of my contract, purchase a new phone and sign up for a low cost carrier. 2 months is more than enough time to test a phone. I can get more data, the same unlimited talk and text and decent service overall with a smaller company that values me as a customer.

What will you do Verizon?

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I know that I can't wait for new software to be released. While I don't have a date for you when the next new software will be available, but let's see if we can't do something for that phone, in the meantime! I definitely don't want  your current data experience with your phone to impact our standing as your provider! What exactly is going on with your device when it tries to access data? How long have you had this issue?

SandyS_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @Vzwsupport

0 Likes
Jallenwest
Enthusiast - Level 2

Just spoke at length via chat to VZ.  She denies that there is any date as of yet.  Also tried to say it was up to Nokia and not VZ.  I didn't let that fly.  So, as it stand now VZ is still jerking us around

0 Likes
Not applicable

No Verizon is not jerking you around.

Customer service gave you the proper answer.

The carriers do not have to update your device. It is the device makers and the operating system makers.

As in your case Microsoft.

Good Luck

0 Likes
JIce88
Enthusiast - Level 3

That's incorrect Elector, The firmware updates are tested by the carriers before released. It is up to Verizon when they release the Cyan firmware update.

0 Likes
Not applicable

Makes no difference if the carriers test the updates or not. They are not code testing. They are testing the Microsoft and device makers certification of the update.

If it works without incident to their networks it is pushed out.

However Apple devices have updates from Apple and this is something the device makers should do for their customers.

Verizon does not have to update your device, they don't even have to carry it on their networks. And the constant threats of if Verizon doesn't update my device I am going to file a complaint with this agency or that agency is not going anywhere.

The phone worked when purchased. If and when Verizon wants to push out any update is up to them.

Buying and using a device on any carrier does not mean the carrier must update the phone for life.

Good Luck