When will we see an actual good Windows phone on Verizon?
Shadizar

The Trophy is (barely) adequate, but it's just about the least impressive handset for Windows Phone...

Wishlist, in order of importance (to me)

Large memory (~32+) (I know this isn't available, but hey, this is a wishlist...)

Large, bright screen like the 'droids in the store. (I don't want a droid, though, because I want the Windows Phone OS)

4G

Perks:

Front-facing camera

VZ navigator support

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: When will we see an actual good Windows phone on Verizon?
janko10

I'm afraid it's going to be quite a while :smileysad:

0 Likes
chinch
Contributor - Level 1

the good news is the next WP7 device will have these features (maybe not 32gb ram) but the bad news is no new devices for CDMA/Verizon has been announced yet. Verizon has manufacturer preferences but a Samsung 4.3" model like the at&t device announce would be ideal and my best guess (and i repeate pure speculation).

VZW navigator is moot with Garmin and other apps under $35 and no monthly fee

Verizon would hold this info closer to the vest with holiday launch more likely, given iPhone5 availability in early October and Mango update pushing out late Sept earl Oct to existing WP7 devices.

0 Likes
bstobbe

OK, listen close guys up in the ivory tower... this is your stereotypical mainstream bread and butter customer talking here.  I'm 32 which means I've basically been a Verizon customer since cell phones started yet am still young enough to be an active electronics enthusiast.  I'm also a software developer who has been using Micorosft software since Windows 3.1.  I'm the video game generation that crossed over from Nintendo upbringings to the powerhouse that is the Micorosoft XBOX360.  I happily pay $50 a year for an Microsoft XBOX Live membership and spend countless more dollars on Microsoft points every year.  Did I mention I even am happy with my 80GB Microsoft Zune?  It plays music just as good as an iThing... imagine that?  I'm getting to a point here... bare with me.  I'm fully aware Verizon is hands down the best cell phone company to be with when it comes to service, and well, everything really.  Its just not even close... nice work guys.  BUT... you guys got to get with the program and give Microsoft phones the same opportunity as Apple, Android, etc.  There is a HUGE number of people like me that would like to check out the new Mango OS on the best available hardware out there.  You're like a used car dealership that only sells Ford Fiesta's right now and I'm looking for the Mustang.  Get it together already.. and stop fixing the competition just because of some bad blood.  Your customers are only going to put up with this for so long.  It won't be long before every phone company has "good enough" service and people are going to start jumping ship.

0 Likes
Delosky
Enthusiast - Level 3

Yeah, what bstobbe said.

I too am in my 30's and part of the same generation you are.  I couldn't agree more.  Furthermore, I've been a Windows Mobile "smartphone" user since before they were called Smartphones and before Steve Jobs had even dreamed up the iPhone.  I was skeptical about WP7, since Microsoft had fallen so far behind Apple and Google, but I have to be honest, from what I've seen on the HTC Trophy, and now with the Mango update, it really is a phenominal OS that just needs some more devices to leverage all that it can offer.

Verizon, please, please, please offer other WP7 Mango phones in the near future (especially sometime around November 11th, when my existing contract for my old WinMo 6.5 Omnia 2 expires)!

0 Likes
jsh1701
Enthusiast - Level 3

I agree with all the prior posts. I have been with Verizon since before it was Verizon in my area (over 15 years). I have had a Pocket PC since the first incarnation of the HP iPac. I have stayed with it ever since. I really like Windows Moble/Windows Phone. I love how easy it connects to my Windows apps on my desktop computer.  I am ready for an upgrade and am just waiting for a phone better that the Trophy. I am not sure how long I will be patient before looking for a different carrier. I really like Verizon, it is the best service around. But I will switch if I must to get a phone I want running Windows Phone 7.5.

I would really like something like the HTC Titan, or Samsung Omnia W.

I don't care for iStuff, and Android is only OK.

I believe that Windows Phone will increase market share in the next 6 to 12 months.

0 Likes
hopmedic
Contributor - Level 3

Well, I'm a bit older than the prior couple of posters.  I have been using Microsoft software since Applesoft Basic (yes, Microsoft provided the OS for the Apple ][+ ).  Wrote my first program in 1980 on an Apple ][+.  I came from the generation of the well-known Atari 2600, but we had the lesser-known Magnavox Odyssey prior to that.  I dropped LOTS of quarters into Space Invaders, Pac Man, Galaxian, Spy Hunter, just to name a few.  I used a Palm Pilot, and last year at a Microsoft developer event, I got a T-Shirt because I was the first to name the device they pictured (an iPaq).  I, too, used Windows based phones well before Jobs thought of the iThingy, and was excited 18 months ago when I saw first-hand a prototype of the Windows Phone.

My point is that this phone crosses generational lines.  It doesn't matter if you are young or old.  This is a great phone.  Verizon has the network, but they could stand to learn a thing or two from Sprint about customer service, and from ATT about phone selection.  Give us a quality high-end Windows Phone.  We will only wait so long.

0 Likes
sm4astan
Enthusiast - Level 3

Maybe this is what we've been waiting for....

LG LS831 is a Windows Phone 7.5 handset for US CDMA carriers

LG Fantasy with Windows Phone tips up at FCC

My wife and I just gave our daughter a Trophy for her birthday (she's turning 15) and she LOVES the phone. A day after she got it from us she was able to update it to Mango, and keeps showing off the new little things she's finding.  I played around with it a bit and it's snappy and is what I've been waiting for, but I want a phone with a bit larger screen (for my larger hands).

I really hope this is coming to Verizon.

I'm hoping the reason they jacked the price of the Trophy up to $150 (from a prior low of $50 - before 2 year upgrade discount) is so that when they come out and release a higher end Mango phone, they can justiify a price bump to something higher.

It would be easier for them to justify Tropy at $150, and New Mango Phone at $299(?), as opposed to Trophy at $50 and Mango Phone at $299. 

Keep your fingers crossed.

0 Likes
hopmedic
Contributor - Level 3

This is good news that someone besides HTC is going to be building a CDMA Windows Phone.  It would be nice if we knew more about it, like is it better than what we have or not, but even without that, it is encouraging that SOMEONE cares about CDMA.  Myself, I will hold out to see what Nokia brings to the game, and use my Trophy until then, but this is definitely encouraging news.

Now if we saw a Samsung CDMA device.....   :smileywink:

0 Likes
Xmind
Enthusiast - Level 3

I too am looking for a high end WP7 device.   I really only have 2 requirements: 4+ inch screen and LTE.  I can't believe Verizon still only has 1 WP7 device and very disappointed that nearly every Verizon store I go into has the Trophey off in the corner and a couple times it was the only phone in the store that didn't have internet access for some reason?!?!?  I'm really crossing my fingers some high end WP7 device will be announced before the end of the month, but I'm not holding my breathe. 

0 Likes