Re: Where for art thou Samsung Odyssey?
kbachler
Enthusiast - Level 3

I don't know.  Some rumors have it very mid-range, some of them have it higher range.  Hard to know right now, and that's part of the issue.  What we were all looking for was the first "good" Windows phone, at VZW, thanks to the lack of microsd on the 8X.  If they would just announce a tentative date and specs, we would all know whether it was worth the wait, or whether to go with the 8X.

And we've all come to be at a cusp time in our contracts, so that we need to make a decision now.  Why they can't release some information now to help their customers make a decision is beyond me.

Among the rumors I have found online was that the phone would ship from Samsung the last week of December.  If that's the case, they should be able to announce release date and specs.

There are, however, also rumors of bugs that are holding up the phone.

0 Likes
lostxtsol
Enthusiast - Level 3

I honestly dont like the HTC for the money, I'll probably opt for the Nokia if nothing was coming out, but i'm waiting..

0 Likes
Tearunner
Enthusiast - Level 2

Went by the Verizon store today.  They haven't received a single word on this phone yet.  Sorry, MS, at this point this is another club footed rollout.  I really wanted to give it a go but I can't run without a memory option.  Might look at you again in two years but I have little faith you'll get your act together.  It also means I have little faith in support after I bought it.

Guess my next phone is a Note 2.

We waited and gave you a chance but you don't even have enough respect for your customers to provide an update.  Nothing but silence.

0 Likes
Eric_D
Enthusiast - Level 2

I called Samsung Sales department to poke around. You can reach them at 1-855-SAMUSA1 (855-726-8721).

They confirmed that the SCH-i930 Ativ Odyssey is pegged to be a Verizon phone, but had no information about its release date. The Consumer Electronics Show in Vegas starts January 8th and Samsung always makes a bunch of announcements there. We'll see if that is where they finally make this announcement.

0 Likes
Tearunner
Enthusiast - Level 2

I was afraid of that.  It really is the thick junker with the giant Verizon logo on the front and smaller screen by that model code.  I was hoping it would just be a renamed ATIV S.  Note 2 it is then.

0 Likes
kbachler
Enthusiast - Level 3

Here is a review by Engadget for the Canadian version, released in December.  It's an S III with a price of $100 on Bell Canada ($75 with a 3 year contract) - Canadian dollars.

Assuming its the same phone, its what I would choose over the 8x.

http://www.engadget.com/2012/12/19/samsung-ativ-s-review/

0 Likes
jsh17001
Contributor - Level 1

I don't think for this particular device that the release is a MS issue. It is a Samsung issue. The rumor is that Samsung was producing Android phones as a priority over WP8.The Ativ S was announced first, but has been the last to come out. I believe that is also the hold up on the Odyssey version. I would like this phone also. It was originally rumored that this phone would hit VZW in December. So I place the blame first with Samsung and second with VZW for not pushing Samsung to get it out sooner.

0 Likes
Tearunner
Enthusiast - Level 2

I would choose the Odyssey over the 8x as well for the SD expansion alone.  I'm just not going to go back to carrying an ipod around.  Pulled the trigger on a Note 2 this morning and played with it all day.  I'm convinced it's the better long term purchase.  Quad Core, 2 Gigs of RAM.  Also more versatile and the battery on it is an absolute beast.  It's going to be my recommendation to my father as well, he's been waiting to see what I got.  Had they released the Odyssey on time we would have gotten two of them and I probably never would have looked at anything else.  Was looking forward to an all MS environment between computer, phone, xbox, but que sera sera. I held this purchase off as long as I could.

0 Likes
Eric_D
Enthusiast - Level 2

The bloggers are starting to report on Verizon and Samsung's broken promise to release the Odyssey before year's end.

http://www.neowin.net/news/2013-arrives-verizons-samsung-ativ-odyssey-doesnt

0 Likes
rdevall
Enthusiast - Level 2

Well,

I had given them the benefit of the doubt but obviously was let down by all three in this case.  VZW, MSFT, and Samsung.  Oddly enought I believe of the three that MSFT has the most to lose.  They should have been on top of the two to see what happened, especially in light of the fact that the ATIV was "THE" (technically) first WP8 announced.  Anyway, I guess its anyones guess now, and i imagine, like one of you above, may have just given up and gone over to the note II (nice specs by the way..as well as good integration).

I do believe that while a lot of this is on Samsung's end (I have to believe that the whole legal novel that the tech market is right now has something to do with it.) But I also have to agree with the fact that VZW just doesnt seem to want to marker or even like the WP8 or MSFT system.  I think they are so fully behind android that they are less than excited, and dont really want to market the phones.....(just a thought)

That said, I LIKE the windows phone system, but i guess I will have to hold out on my Trophy until something decent comes along.  Because despite what some engineers and companies seem to thing, not all of us have or can afford 4G in all places or immense cloud storage (and I wont even go into the whole security of cloud storage at the moment).  I would really like to see a true high end windows phone with the sd card slot that works all the way up to sdxc.

0 Likes