Re: Who wants a premier offer for WP10?ie Lumia 950,950xl
dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

I thought Apple had a lock on diehards. People camping out in front of Apple stores, lines snaking around blocks...wristbands...just to buy an iPhone on the first day it becomes available.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

That's for the iPhone. They don't do that for the iPads and other Apple products.  I feel sales will be better for the 950 and 950 XL than the surfaces. With the surfaces I expect people to buy a new one every 2-3 years for most of the customers. Phones a little different story.

0 Likes
dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

I think the first few iterations of the iPad drew large crowds. Now that the replacement cycle is 3+ years, crowds have thinned. That plus the iPad hasn't offered any earth shaking year over year improvements for a while. Curious to see what happens on the first day for the iPad Pro.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

Diehards will buy it and that's about it. Sales will be good but flat. Some people ready to upgrade will probably get it, and new adopters.

0 Likes
robert5050
Enthusiast - Level 3

dexman wrote:

Slight topic detour...I just checked out Microsoft's Community Forums. The Surface Book and Surface Pro 4 are having issues out of the gate...especially the Surface Book.

Not good news. Hopefully this doesn't portend problems for the 950's...even though they are not available to us VZW customers.

You've got to be kidding me?  You can go to any website such as Apple's own user forms and find tons of users with tons of issues with Apple products.  It doesn't mean the product is bad.  I was using a Surface Book all day today with out any issues, it's an awesome machine.

And, then you try to attach some other problems to a totally different product?  I think you went way off topic on this one.

0 Likes
dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

I mentioned in my post that it was a side topic.

While Apple products do have bugs, the company's reputation is able to weather such problems. Sales of iPhones continue to be brisk despite a constant stream of buggy iOS releases. iOS 9 has been particularly bad with Apple pumping out patches and updates at breakneck speed. Few people seem to remember how bad iOS 8.0.1 was. It had a lifespan measured in hours. Yet Apple continues to grow and rake in money.

Microsoft isn't in that position. Outside of the commercial world it has a comparitively small presence...noting the number of iOS and Android phones and tablets out there.

The media tends to be more crirical of Microsoft than Apple. The company is known as a software company and due to past poor showings with older Windows OS releases and the early attempt at a tablet device running XP, new releases need to be well vetted before hitting the market.

Microsoft will get the freezing and color shifting problems currently being experienced by Book and Pro 4 users ironed out. But negative press hurts Microsoft more than it does Apple.

0 Likes
NolMac
Enthusiast - Level 2

I do wish Microsoft would get a bigger market share in the mobile industry. Not Apple big with what they tried to do with the X1. That would affect developers to start putting apps on Windows 10. Surface pro tablet market share does affect the 950s. They run the same OS and have the same App Store. As someone with a surface pro 3. My 3 does everything I need. Replaceable battery is what I want in the surface pro. One of my big knocks on Apple and now starting again with Android devices.

0 Likes
dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

It's a catch-22 situation. Fewer apps...despite having a large list of native programs...means fewer devices sold. Fewer devices sold means fewer people will develop apps.

Quickly back to the side note...it looks like a bad run of Surface Books got out. People reporting freezing and display issues while other people say that their Books are fine. Microsoft is starting to replace defective units.

0 Likes
primortal
Master - Level 1

Quality issues are a given for such a quick manufacturing process....  It's not just a Microsoft specific issue.

0 Likes
ShadowRider
Enthusiast - Level 3

When people compare the number of apps available on each platform it would be nice to weed out the chaff.  How many different apps for telling time.  Games are essentially unnecessary to me on my phone.  Then you get down to productivity and there's not the disparity.  Chase banking is available on Android and iOS, but not on Windows anymore.  That's the type of disparity that's significant, not the number of games, flashlights, etc.