Re: Who wants a premier offer for WP10?ie Lumia 950,950xl
NolMac
Enthusiast - Level 2

The XL is on Microsoft store so you can buy it unlocked and it will work on t mobile. Oddly the 950 wasn't which is probably because it will be.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

Exclusive deal with AT&T probably. If they do sell it at the store it'll be locked until the deal is over or it might be perms locked to them. We don't know exactly yet and everything is rumored. The only certainty is there is an exclusive deal.

0 Likes
NolMac
Enthusiast - Level 2

Microsoft has released all the information. Now the question is will the radio frequencies work with Verizon? My understanding there is only one band that works with Verizon.

0 Likes
NolMac
Enthusiast - Level 2

You can buy it directly through Microsoft unlocked and will work on either att and t mobile well.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

None will without band 13

0 Likes
darcy4c
Enthusiast - Level 1

You're definitely not alone -- just cracked the screen on my Windows Phone 8, but I'm hoping to limp along until Lumia 950 is available.  If Verizon doesn't carry, off to AT&T (yuck) we go

Geminiman
Enthusiast - Level 2

Verizon doesn't need to sell or support the 950 and 950xl. They just need to stop making MS lock out their bands and CDMA in both phones. The chipset supports Verizon's LTE bands and CDMA but are intentionally disabled in firmware.

Verizon has clearly told MS to do this or no deal with the carrier, because Verizon MUST allow any device on to LTE Band 13 per the agreement for nationwide on that band. (This is why the SIM in Verizon phones is unlocked)  The only way to prevent people like us from bringing our own 950 and 950xl to Verizon and use it, was to get MS to disable it in firmware so it simply wouldn't work because the 808 and 810 chipset have native support and the antennas in both phones will handle Verizon bands without issue.

This is pure politics with Verizon, nothing more. MS needs to stand up and provide unlocked all carrier phones like both Google and Apple are doing ASAP and force Verizon to be the bad guy.

Re: Re: Who wants a premier offer for WP10?ie Lumia 950,950xl
Geminiman
Enthusiast - Level 2

Neither phone right now will work on Verizon. Both Verizon's LTE bands and CDMA are firmware locked out. What that means is that while the 808 and 810 chipset support Band 13 (and the others) and CDMA (As evidenced by the Google 5x and 6P and their doc sheet) MS, probably bowing to pressure from Verizon has locked out that support in the firmware. A simple firmware update would unlock Verizon on both phones if they chose to do so.

Worse, if MS turned this on, Verizon couldn't say no because of their agreement for buying Band 13 in the first place (this is why the SIM is unlocked on Verizon). Hence the phone would work just fine, and Verizon would have to allow it on it's network, but they've done a deal with MS to artificially lock out Verizon capability.

MS is probably hoping that Verizon will carry both phones in their stores, but honestly that's just a stupid position to take. MS should have release them completely open, and then offered financing deals for both phones and Surface tablet/book for both consumers and business.

But they missed the opportunity to completely own the business market by bundling phones/tablets with Office 365 subscriptions and now we're screwed with AT&T unless Verizon agrees to sell both phones. (We might get one of them if we're lucky.)

0 Likes
Lazermn03
Enthusiast - Level 1

I agree totally. If Verizon doesn't get the phone I'll probably buy directly from MS and move over to ATT or Cricket. I love Verizon and have been with them since they bought out Alltel back in the day, but our 4 lines will probably be moving if they don't offer Win10 phones.

Re: Re: Who wants a premier offer for WP10?ie Lumia 950,950xl
ChuckWes
Enthusiast - Level 2

Too bad looks like we're getting passed over again. But is it Microsoft or Verizon we should be mad at? After reading all the things I have on the web this morning, I'm not too sure. If it is true that Microsoft is doing exclusives with AT&T on these phones, it was their decision, no matter how poor. Why would they go with only one carrier? Seems like another bad business plan to me. I'd want my product in as many hands as possible.

0 Likes