Why does 8X always switch to "Roaming service"?
cody503
Enthusiast - Level 3

Hello, I've had my HTC 8X for about a month now, since it came out, and I've noticed something kind of strange. For some reason, under the Cellular menu in the settings, it sometimes says my active network is "Roaming service" instead of Verizon Wireless. It happens pretty often, completely randomly. When I'm it's connected to the Roaming service, my data speeds seem to be slower, and I can't receive picture messages. Nothing else seems to be affected though. I can still send/receive calls and texts, and I still have access to a 3G data network. But why doesn't it stay on Verizon? It wouldn't really bother me much, but when I'm connected to Verizon it seems to be much faster.

I know it's not my coverage, because I haven't had this problem on my previous HTC Trophy, and when I'm connected to Verizon, I have more bars than on Roaming service. Also, I don't live in an LTE covered area, so when on Verizon and Roaming, I'm always on 3G.

And if I'm correct, Verizon and Sprint have a roaming agreement, so when I'm roaming, it's free and on Sprint's network.... just want to make sure I'm not being charged for this at all...

So anyways, how can I fix this? I'd prefer to not have to do a factory reset.... Thanks for any replies!

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Why does 8X always switch to "Roaming service"?
_yankees_
Contributor - Level 3

Make sure in Cellular setting, the option for "data roaming options" it says "don't roam" and "mode selection" it says "global mode"

View solution in original post

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hello cody503,

Thank you for sharing your wireless question with the community. We understand how important it is to have consistent and reliable wireless service! After all, that’s why you chose us as your wireless provider! I would like the opportunity to clarify this for you! As we all know, Verizon Wireless have the largest coverage in the country but there are some areas that our customers roam off another carrier at. When roaming, you may see the verbiage that you spoke of in your post. Since your Verizon Wireless phone is designed to pick up our network over others, you will experience a HUGE difference in network performance. I would like to confirm that the area that you were in is indeed an extended area. May I ask what city, state, and zip code were you in when you got the “roaming service” notice? Can I assume that you device doesn’t have any liquid or physical damage? Once you provide me with this information then I can check the area and get back to you. I’m looking forward to your next reply.

Thank you…

ArnettH_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
loskinski

ArnettH_VZW and Cody - I am having the exact same problem with my phone as well.  My wife has the exact same phone.  She will be in the car next to me and be on Veriozon Network with LTE.  However, my phone has switched to roaming and stuck on 3g. 

One of the things that I have noticed is that if i power cycle s my phone I can be back on 4g.  This also works if i enable and then disable airplane mode.  It seems like the Network is dropping our phones from accessing their networks.

I have already visited the store for some help, and all they did was swap out the sim card.  This has not helped at all.

0 Likes
cody503
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thank you for the reply!

I use my phone in Dallas, Oregon 97338. We don't have LTE coverage yet, but I know for a fact that we have EVDO (3G) on Verizon. My previous device, the HTC Trophy, did not have this problem.

Also, I know my device has no physical or water damage. I recently had to have my phone replaced under warranty for a different reason (phone wasn't starting up), but my new device still has the same roaming problem.

0 Likes
_yankees_
Contributor - Level 3

Make sure in Cellular setting, the option for "data roaming options" it says "don't roam" and "mode selection" it says "global mode"

0 Likes
cody503
Enthusiast - Level 3

This seems to have fixed the problem! I already had it set on "don't roam", but I set the mode selection to "LTE and CDMA" because I figured I wouldn't be needing Global mode... but setting it to Global mode seems to have corrected the problem. Thanks!! Smiley Happy

0 Likes