Why does Softcard only work with the new HTC M8 with Windows and not any other Windows Phone that also has NFC?
admrjosh
Enthusiast - Level 1

Why does Softcard only work with the new HTC M8 with Windows and not any other Windows Phone that also has NFC?

Labels (1)
Re: Why does Softcard only work with the new HTC M8 with Windows and not any other Windows Phone that also has NFC?
CombatRock72
Enthusiast - Level 2

Unfortunately you will not be able to use this application until VZW releases CYAN to all Lumia phones. The HTC M8 for Windows has CYAN so anyone with that phone will be able to use Softcard.

Re: Why does Softcard only work with the new HTC M8 with Windows and not any other Windows Phone that also has NFC?
primortal
Master - Level 1

FYI, Cyan is Lumia device specific frimware version and doesn't pertain to HTC devices.

HTC M8 does have 8.1 and HTC's updated firmware to work with Softcard.

Those of us with Lumia devices are SOL until VZW is done messing with the update and releases it.

Not applicable

Softcard now available for Verizon, enables NFC purchases with your Windows Phone | Windows Central

I think you meant "Those of us with Lumia devices are SOL until Microsoft is done messing with the update and releases it".

MrGecko
Contributor - Level 1

HTC Firmware allows Softcard to work on their device. Lumia devices, such as the Icon, require the Lumia Cyan firmware update that Verizon has dragged their feet on. Yes, WP trolls, the update is now back in Microsoft's hands for development due to Big Red's need to have their bloatware work flawlessly.

The 830 on AT&T is looking much nicer these days.

grafixguy
Contributor - Level 2

The 830 is a really nice device and Microsoft is pushing it hard. They were on display all over the Microsoft Store...I'd say 10-15 of them. The camera is way faster than the Icon's which I imagine is due to Verizon's negligence in not getting updates out to it's customers in a reasonable amount of time.

Not applicable

Careful with the troll allegations.

It was said from intelligent posters here that Verizon for what ever reason did not have it.

Even if they had it (Verizon) no law or regulation requires them to even give any update.

When Joe at Microsoft posted his tweet he never said anything about Verizon apps. For any delay.

He said due to Verizon's Quality standards, Big difference.

Re: Re: Why does Softcard only work with the new HTC M8 with Windows and not any other Windows Phone that also has NFC?
MrGecko
Contributor - Level 1

Funny how you answer to "troll". (What's your handle on AT&T forums?)

Yep! Verizon living up to it's contractual obligations by not releasing updates. Caveat emptor!

I think there are some reasonable expectations here to keep customer's happy. When one carrier offers upgrades there is an expectation the same will happen across all the carriers. We have seen that except Big Red.

Verizon could have said the update is in MS court months ago and stilled the voice of the disgruntled, or at least redirected it, but instead chose to be silent. Not for market share but for partial blame I think.

We will have to agree to disagree since you only see Terms & Conditions and I, see customer satisfaction.

Re: Re: Why does Softcard only work with the new HTC M8 with Windows and not any other Windows Phone that also has NFC?
Not applicable

My Handle is ELECTOR on all forums. And I belong to many of them.

I don't think because a carrier stayed silent on who had what at what time really mattered. Think now, does it really matter? we have no idea if the carrier had a gag agreement and after getting a pounding (wrongfully) about the update that Verizon contacted Microsoft and told them to straighten out these complaints.

Notice how carefully Joe's tweet was made. Information? Diversion? Truthfulness? not one iota of anything other than to cast dispersions on the carrier for not approving the update under quality concerns.

I have no objection to disagreeing with anyone. But it is my right to disagree and to say why.

JwolfT
Enthusiast - Level 1

It's not Cyan it's 8.1 that is the stopping point. Now, if Verizon gave a damn about their customers they would unlock the app for people on the DP 8.1 devices. They should just release it. If a phone doesn't have 8.1 the app won't work. Why block it for everyone? And of course, they never give their customers updates and information.