Why doesn't the camera work after the update?
fiVe

My Lumia 822 upgraded to Denim, but now the camera button does not work.  There is no "Camera" or "Photos" listed in the Apps list.

I have re-booted it several times.

Has anyone else had this problem?

Thanks for your help.

Labels (1)
Tags (2)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Lumia 822 - denim - no camera
rockman20
Enthusiast - Level 2

@fiVE,

I had this problem when I updated my Lumia 822 as well. The camera did not work, I had two Game icons and one would not work, I had no ability to get into pictures, some of my built in apps like the alarms had no graphics on the button, things looked REALLY odd.

Take into account that this is a phone that was put out before 8.1 so making 8.1 work on it may take some tweaking and some patience.

I ended up resetting the phone back to factory defaults. (Go to Settings and then About. There is a button at the bottom to reset your phone) I was expecting this to bring me all the way back to Windows 8 again, but I was pleasantly surprised to see that it brings the phone back to a base Windows 8.1. When I started setting up my phone, I told it that I did not want it to restore any previous phone settings and I wanted to start from scratch.

I am still in the process of re-building my phone which does kind of suck, but knowing the phone was not necessarily designed for 8.1, I am okay with that. The only issue that I am currently experiencing at the moment is the Verizon Backup Manager does not want to connect. I get an error on that.But I will continue to work with that as I go. But I have the camera, I have the ability to see my photos, I can setup a background picture, my apps all have icons on them, everything looks like it should and outside of the backup assistant, it works like it should.

My guess is that there was some residual junk in an app or something that was not compatible with 8.1 and was causing my headaches. I would bet that you are in the same boat and with some patience and work, you will get your phone back.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
fiVe

I have also discovered the phone cannot receive a call and I cannot dial a number (only call those already in my contacts).

Verizon,  I really like this phone, but the Denim update has rendered it practically useless.  Can you help me, and if you can't, who can?  This is my primary phone and this is a big problem.

0 Likes
Not applicable

Please take this in the spirit it was intended. I have been beating myself to no end on telling Windows Phone Users to stop complaining about getting any updates.

I have also said be careful what you wish for regarding updates.

I have also stated once these updates start rolling out the complaints will start rolling in. (Thank you)

To answer your question contact Microsoft Phone Support since Verizon has nothing to do with your camera, your Bluetooth, your tiles or your sound or WiFi or the Windows operating system.

Microsoft messed it up only Microsoft can or should fix it.

Good Luck

0 Likes
Peter_T
Enthusiast - Level 3

Did you update your phone twice, as was required.

The first update updated your phone to an interim version of Windows Phone 8.0 that was necessary to finally update your Lumia 822 to Windows Phone 8.1, Update 1.

Need to do the second update too (if you haven't already done so), to get it upgraded to Windows Phone 8.1, Update 1.

rockman20
Enthusiast - Level 2

@fiVE,

I had this problem when I updated my Lumia 822 as well. The camera did not work, I had two Game icons and one would not work, I had no ability to get into pictures, some of my built in apps like the alarms had no graphics on the button, things looked REALLY odd.

Take into account that this is a phone that was put out before 8.1 so making 8.1 work on it may take some tweaking and some patience.

I ended up resetting the phone back to factory defaults. (Go to Settings and then About. There is a button at the bottom to reset your phone) I was expecting this to bring me all the way back to Windows 8 again, but I was pleasantly surprised to see that it brings the phone back to a base Windows 8.1. When I started setting up my phone, I told it that I did not want it to restore any previous phone settings and I wanted to start from scratch.

I am still in the process of re-building my phone which does kind of suck, but knowing the phone was not necessarily designed for 8.1, I am okay with that. The only issue that I am currently experiencing at the moment is the Verizon Backup Manager does not want to connect. I get an error on that.But I will continue to work with that as I go. But I have the camera, I have the ability to see my photos, I can setup a background picture, my apps all have icons on them, everything looks like it should and outside of the backup assistant, it works like it should.

My guess is that there was some residual junk in an app or something that was not compatible with 8.1 and was causing my headaches. I would bet that you are in the same boat and with some patience and work, you will get your phone back.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

This is a major problem, fiVe! Your phone is intended to receive calls along with many other things. Are you getting any calls at all?
What happens as you attempt to dial a number? Does the phone do anything at all now that the factory data reset has been done? I apologize for the confusion on my part.

TamaraH_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
Alexvrb
Contributor - Level 1

There you go with the inevitable self-back-patting. I was waiting for that. As I've said before major update rollouts on any OS have the potential to cause a few issues. Apple updates bust phones all the time. My dad has had issues with Android updates on several occasions.

Most users are happily using Denim. The update went flawless on my 822 and it's been a very nice early Christmas present (thank you to those at Verizon and MS that worked things out!).

0 Likes
fiVe

Rockman20,

Your info was MOST helpful.  I reset my phone with the same results as yours, however, the Verizon Backup Manager started working the next day.  At this point, things are back to normal, and I hope the same for you.  Thanks for your post!

Regards,

J V

0 Likes
rockman20
Enthusiast - Level 2

I am glad that it worked out for you fiVe!

I did manage to get Backup Assistant working that day. I should have posted that here. I ended up having to go into the store on the phone and then went to the Verizon area that is in the store and I found the backup assistant app. When I looked at it, THEN I saw that there was an update for it. Outside of this, there was no notification at all. It never showed up on my store's live tile showing me there was an update for it or anything. I had to search it out. Once updated, it connected and moved all of my contacts correctly.

I am glad that I could help.

0 Likes