Why have I given up on Windows Phone
pa2k4p
Contributor - Level 1
0 Likes
36 Replies
pa2k4p
Contributor - Level 1

1. I supposed that there is only so much money (both VZW and from MSFT) to support a 3rd ecosystem so priorities aren't all that high for Verizon.

2. I supposed that since there isn't any priority to support said 3rd ecosystem, then there isn't a priority for 3rd parties to build apps.

3. I suppose that using the term "first smartphone" can really hang up people who can't accept it for a loose term for a phone that was first to mass marketed to a young, non business demographic, and did away with physical keyboards and styluses rather than phones marketed as business productivity tools.

3. I suppose I'm all set giving a crap about any of this. My builds and test scripts are all green as of now so my browsing to waste time on the interwebs has expired.

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

pa2k4p wrote:

3. I suppose I'm all set giving a crap about any of this.

That is certainly good to hear.

0 Likes
Alexvrb
Contributor - Level 1

rcschnoor wrote:

On the contrary, it is NOTHING like the introduction of the iPhone. Apple had an EXTENSIVE library of apps available for the iPhone BEFORE it was released. Apps which provided MORE capability than the competition, not LESS which is what the Windows Phone App Store provides. MORE of a library than the competition had, not LESS.

To be fair Apple was facing a lot less competition in basically every regard. Most of the hardware on the market was mediocre or wasn't very forward-looking in design. Software and hardware alike were not generally what I would call touch-centric designs so the experience felt somewhat lacking - in particular resistive touch was not so great IMO. There wasn't a steep list of "must-have" apps on these other devices that would completely preclude purchase of a new OS. Nor was there a far steeper list of niche apps for seemingly every company or service on the planet.

Most cell phone users were using dumbphones and feature phones anyway - so there was nothing (apps, music, etc) must-have tying them to their old platform. Many new users were entering the market and were often drawn towards these new-gen iPhone and later Android devices as their friends and family used them. On top of all that, Apple was riding on the coattails of their success with the iPod line. This gave them music, apps, a lot of diehard users and developers, and gave people (especially kids) a familiar smartphone platform to transition to from an iPod. The market was ripe for Apple to strike.

By contrast entering the market with a fresh OS in more recent years is much more difficult. You have to face harsh market conditions and ridiculously stiff competition. Basically the complete opposite of the situation Apple faced. With that being said I would say that MS is making steady strides in the right direction with WP 8.x and soon WP10. Universal apps in particular will be great as long as enough decent developers embrace them (and hopefully most games written as Universal apps will take advantage of the purchase-once play-everywhere capabilities). Time will tell if their current and future efforts are sufficient to get them some real traction... but many factors are out of their control (to varying degrees). Such as the situation with Verizon.

0 Likes
corkwatchr
Contributor - Level 1

There are many apps that now require WP 8.1 to run. Primortal mentioned a few in another post.

In effect, by Verizon not releasing the Cyan/WP8.1 update, they are further limiting the marketplace apps we can use on our Windows phones.

Because of this, they can take a little responsibility for causing an even smaller marketplace for WP users.

Verizon screwed me when they never released Mango (WP7.5) for my HTC Trophies and now they are screwing me by not releasing Cyan/8.1 to my Lumia 822, 928, and 929 Icon.

We're done, Verizon. When the contract is up, I will go to AT&T.

rcschnoor
Legend

corkwatchr wrote:

There are many apps that now require WP 8.1 to run.

We are talking about 2 different things. It appears you are talking about apps available in the Windows Phone App Store BUT require WP 8.1 to run. I am talking about apps available on iOS/android and ARE NOT available in the Windows Phne App Store, regardless of which WP OS version you are using. These are apps not available EVEN if your device has WP 8.1 which I use on a daily basis. That is what is keeping me from giving WP another shot. Verizon could release WP 8.1 today and those apps would STILL not be available.

corkwatchr
Contributor - Level 1

I will admit, rcschnoor, because I have never owned an iPhone or Droid, I do not know what I am missing in the Marketplace store. Instead, if there is not an app available for my WP, I end up using the phone's web browser to view a web site that offers me that same information. I suspect this is commonplace for WP users.

I do place blame on the software developers for not creating WP apps. I enjoy using the apps available. For example, there is the the Wells Fargo app. I appreciate that WF stepped up to the plate and created it for WPs.

As phone screens have become larger ("phablets") and more web sites are using HTML5/CSS3, I have usually found the web browser (WP8 w/IE10) to be adequate to get information. As well, with the larger screens and higher resolutions, mobile versions of the most popular sites are less needed.

Note that WP8.1 with IE11 offers even greater HTML5/CSS3 support. This is another way Verizon is at fault of limiting my web browsing experience and browsing security, albeit small.

HTML5test - How well does your browser support HTML5?

rcschnoor
Legend

corkwatchr wrote:

I will admit, rcschnoor, because I have never owned an iPhone or Droid, I do not know what I am missing in the Marketplace store. Instead, if there is not an app available for my WP, I end up using the phone's web browser to view a web site that offers me that same information. I suspect this is commonplace for WP users.

This is ok for a website which will provide the same information or functionality, but not all websites will give the same information or functionality as that available in an app.

Some apps provide functionality not available on the website.Smiley Happy

0 Likes
Alexvrb
Contributor - Level 1

Hilariously enough in some cases I actually prefer using the website even though I have the app. For example Amazon's website is far superior to the app, IMO. Perhaps that's just because I'm very familiar with their site. I feel the same about Newegg's app. Oh, and I'm talking about full desktop sites. I don't bother with the mobile versions, and indeed I've set the browser preferences to default to desktop versions. In Newegg's case I often follow the links from their emails to the site anyway, to check out sales.

There's the occasional situation where the app is faster/easier. I have them installed and I use them sometimes. Also for those who LIKE mobile versions of websites, the latest update to IE included with 8.1 has better support not only for web standards, but they've added wrappers to handle certain proprietary Safari / Chrome code.

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

I agree that browser shopping sights are much better than app shopping sights because they give more product information. Most apps which simply provide a user interface for an exercise/task, I find an app easier to use. Of course that is simply my preference, mainly because the buttons used to actually perform the task are larger because all of the additional info included in the website is not included in the app.

0 Likes
Alexvrb
Contributor - Level 1

Well I pinch zoom and pan a lot, and yeah the dedicated apps don't need you to do that. But overall it's well worth it to instantly have access to a wealth of information not available otherwise. In addition there have been cases where I've searched for an item in the app, and failed to find what I was looking for (the filters on Newegg's app are horrible for example), or it took longer than expected to find something. Meanwhile 10 seconds with the website (desktop version) and bam there it is. So annoying.

On the other hand there are numerous apps that are much better than using the website. I really only have this gripe with shopping apps. Social media, banking, wikipedia (Rudy Huyn's third party app is great), maps, music, etc are all better in app form. They still occasionally lack advanced functionality, but it's not something I need regularly.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

What is still surprising to me is that the SyFy Now application is only available for iOS and Windows phone but not Android devices. http://www.syfy.com/nowapp

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

Alexvrb
Contributor - Level 1

Someone suggested to me it might have to do with Android (not sure what versions) not having full support for whatever copyright protection mechanism they use. Anyway I don't know if that's actually the case but it was an interesting theory if nothing else.

0 Likes
MrGecko
Contributor - Level 1

Apple passed on Verizon for the iPhone release because Apple wanted greater control over their own device including updates & VZW bloatware. If Apple decided to go with Big Red for exclusivity back then I'm sure iPhone would not be as popular as it is today. We see it with Windows Phones today. I would like to see a breakdown of WP users by carrier to see who has the larger market share. I'd bet on AT&T.

I have to give props to Apple for going with AT&T and controlling their own destiny.

0 Likes
primortal
Master - Level 1

I know it will be a year too late but I'm hoping Windows 10 will change the app problems being the apps will be universal across all Microsoft platforms.  Personally I'm not an app junkie and the apps I have installed are what I need and if not, I'm comfortable going to websites to get what I need done.

For me it's just VZW doesn't take Windows Phone seriously even though they lied through their teeth saying they wanted Windows Phone to be their third ecosystem.  You can't say that and the piss all over the platform.

I really do hope when Microsoft releases Window 10 to the phones via the Preview for Developers program that in will include the firmware as rumors alluded to.

vzwenduser
Contributor - Level 2

Something just seems fishy about the whole situation. To me it doesn't matter anymore who's fault it is, we won't ever know the true story because people are not allowed to discuss such internal issues to the public. What concerns me is the fact that it is not out yet. Yes, I know that sounds trivial, and everybody probably is concerned about that same thing, but let me explain: I have more confidence in the ability of professional developers and engineers to fix any bugs in a shorter period of time. Due to that reasoning something seems fishy...

pa2k4p
Contributor - Level 1
0 Likes