Re: Why is Verizon blocking the Cyan/Denim firmware update for the Lumia Icon?
Snn5
Legend

I remember how they treated us Galaxy Nexus owners.  "Next big thing from Google and Verizon, a CDMA Nexus!!!"  Then dropped it like a bad habit.

0 Likes
james1114
Enthusiast - Level 2

You paid $500 for a phone that has had numerous critical updates, two hardware updates as well as a major overhaul of its operating system released by its manufacturer in good faith. These updates are being stalled by your carrier because they don't care about you as a user and want to dissuade people from using Windows Phone because it cant get market share. That's fine. Then, Verizon should stop selling them. They can work that out with Microsoft. However, we bought this device in good faith as 'Windows Phone 8.1 ready' and Verizon is sitting on updates for reasons they wont divulge. That doesn't bother you?

0 Likes
james1114
Enthusiast - Level 2

Exactly!

Tidbits
Legend

I called the Galaxy Nexus before it was even sold it would be treated differently. I actually got flamed for it from diehard Google fanboys.

0 Likes
Snn5
Legend

I wasn't as in-depth with Android and the pitfalls we have all been discussing as of late on the forums.  At the time, I had heard that Nexus was all that and a bag of Doritos. Got it day one in December 2011.  Plus, it was the only 4G phone in my area at the time that 4G was ...planned...for which arrived 3 weeks ahead of schedule.  Anyway, I loved the phone but had it only 6 months and the updates were stalled.  Then we finally got some update and by late May 2012 or June I was already onto the Razr MAXX having given up on any support for the GNex.  It did get another small update or 2, nothing big, and then became my mother's first smartphone.  Yeah...if Verizon has to share very much with Google or MS, they aren't keen on supporting it for long.  They get you in with the hype, then that's it.

0 Likes
Snn5
Legend

Bottom line is that from all I have heard, Androids have about 18 months of life and if an update doesn't come within that period sometimes it won't.  I know you have a WP, and that I have had a few phones that got 3-4 updates, and some that only got 1 be they major OS updates

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

When the Galaxy Nexus came out I warned people that even if Google said it would be treated like any other Nexus it was a lie from the start. CDMA requires more testing and have a different licensing deal with Qualcomm. That didnt include the old LTE agreements which Qualcomm changed recently with Samsung(they both own pieces of the tech). That alone makes it different. That process alone can take 2-6 months on it's own right especially back them without the RIL/HAL not being readily available. Google has since changed that. I believe I explained the whole process back them and true to form Google ended up giving up on both the Sprint and Verizon versions. Sprint devices even after the Galaxy Nexus still lagged behind in updates unless the RIL/HAL wasn't touched.