Why is Verizon planning to block the Microsoft Lumia 950XL?
djcameron
Enthusiast - Level 1

It's being reported that Verizon is planning to actively block the upcoming Microsoft Lumia 950XL from its network.  Why can't you play nice like AT&T?

That's okay, since I can't get the phone that I want, and cell networks are all the same here in the SF Bay Area, I will be forced to move out 4 lines to AT&T.

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
Re: Why is Verizon planning to block the Microsoft Lumia 950XL?
jmachats
Enthusiast - Level 3

They are blocking it because they do not sell it and can't control the apps installed. It doesn't matter its supposed to be an open network which should work with any (compatible) phone - it's verizon's way or the highway

Move your lines. Move them immediately. Verizon will only care when it starts to hurt them financially

Customer1234567
Contributor - Level 1

I wish the FCC got involved here. This is B.S. that Verizon is BLOCKING phones from being on their network. It's been proven that Verizon told Microsoft that they would not activate this phone on their network. SO Microsoft had to disable the bands to avoid disappointed customers or possible lawsuits.

Verizon reportedly blocking new Microsoft Lumia 950 and 950 XL phones from their network | Windows C...

Everyone who wants a 950 or 950XL should file a complaint with the FCC. Verizon's policies are that of 10 years ago, in the GLOBAL market you buy a phone, then you pick your carrier. We should be able to buy a phone and pick our carrier PERIOD.

Verizon, get your crap together here allow Microsoft to enable the bands for your network and allow US the choice to use the PHONES OF OUT CHOICE. Verizon just wants to line their pockets more forcing you to use their phones.

I've been with Verizon for almost 15 years now and have seen this crap OVER AND OVER. Why should we wait 6-8 months for you to Verizonize a phone (Adware, and Verizon crap that most people don't use) and allow it on your network?

I hope the FCC is looking at this and does a MAJOR fine to Verizon to end this 10+ year old policy. It's just dumb today, Verizon move with the times...

Tidbits
Legend

FCC isn't going to do anything.

Microsoft ADMITTED they didn't talk to anyone but AT&T. Microsoft also didn't put all the things needed to work on Verizon on their own with Band 13. So there is no block C clause.

Weth
Legend

What someone will need to do is get a 950 or 950 XL and put a Verizon SIM in the phone that is already activated and working on another Verizon phone.   Report what happens then. 

Tidbits
Legend

That isn't going to work. Microsoft hasn't put any of the required CDMA (WCDMA is NOT CDMA), or the Block C bands. Microsoft didn't even test it with the FCC. So Verizon has nothing to block it with.

0 Likes
Darrin2you
Enthusiast - Level 1

We have a family plan with Verizon, but will be switching carriers if the report is true.

0 Likes
Weth
Legend

So it's not Verizon at all. What's the point of this whole post? 

Tidbits
Legend

That podcast shows the old way Verizon used to activate. It's completely click bait for Windows phone fans. If the person who did actually researched he'd find out Verizon no longer authenticates using CDMA anymore and the reason they no longer offer 3G devices. The 950/XL doesn't have band 13 to give it Block C protection let alone all of the required Verizon bands, and technology support (FCC documents shows no testing  and no licensing).

A lot of windows phone fans are just gobbling it up.

0 Likes
jmachats
Enthusiast - Level 3

Do you work for Verizon?