Why is it no longer possible to log in to Facebook from my basic phone?
will_in_kc
Enthusiast - Level 3

I can no longer log in to m.facebook.com from my LG Octane phone. The Log In Button isn't recognized on the page...

see https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lrG99eizFiE

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Why is it no longer possible to log in to Facebook from my basic phone?
will_in_kc
Enthusiast - Level 3

So I'm happy to say that Verizon made it possible to download the mobile Opera Mini browser to the LG Octane. After using it for a couple months now I'm liking it much more than the old browser. In fact, if you haven't downloaded it yet, I'd definitely recommend it, especially since they are discontinuing the old browser on Aug 31, 2013.

View solution in original post

Re: Why is it no longer possible to log in to Facebook from my basic phone?
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Oh No! Try just hitting the enter key instead of the log in screen. This should help out.

0 Likes
Susie8899

I am having the exact same trouble as the you tube video shows.  I have tried using the send key and all kinds of keys,  Help

0 Likes
will_in_kc
Enthusiast - Level 3

Pressing Enter has no effect.

The button came back for me again about 3 weeks ago, but yesterday when I had been logged out automatically, it now no longer even shows a sign-in button.

0 Likes
auntietess

I too am having issues with logging into Facebook. The "OK" button is solid blue and no way to log in. Has anyone heard anythig recent regarding when this will get fixed? I tried to use Social Beat but it is so limited and I am not able to post anything. I'm so frustrated to be paying for service that I can't 100% use.

0 Likes
Not applicable

Perhaps you should be asking Facebook this question.

0 Likes
will_in_kc
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thanks for the suggestion Brian68. I've posted a thread on their forums as well:

https://www.facebook.com/help/community/question/?id=10151392667053924&added

To be honest though, I think the chance this will get noticed over there in the sea of noise is slim, and if noticed I'm guessing they will blame Verizon. It seems to me like facebook would just say that the browser on Verizon basic phones must not be standard compliant and isn't rendering the page correctly. In my case the browser is "Novarra Vision v8.1.2.722", probably not high on their list of compatibility checking.

I guess there is the chance that facebook is doing this intentionally to shut out users of mobile browsers they don't like.

If it isn't ever going to be fixed I wish Verizon would just stop taunting me with the FB button on the phone's default home page. 🙂

361_0790.JPG

Sad little orphaned facebook icon ^

0 Likes
Not applicable

Honestly you're going to be in a situation where Facebook updates on it's mobile site and it doesn't want to make sure it's compatible with older mobile browsers that few may use and Verizon doesn't update it's browser to be compatible with Facebook's updated mobile page because it would use resources for a browser very few people use. Or perhaps it can't even update the browser to be compatible with Facebook's updated mobile page. I think the onus is on Facebook because Verizon can not be expect the keep up with EVERY mobile site that decides to make changes. The number of browsers Facebook has to deal with is much smaller than the number of websites Verizon would have to deal with.

0 Likes
will_in_kc
Enthusiast - Level 3

> "Verizon can not be expect the keep up with EVERY mobile site that decides to make changes."

Facebook isn't just ANY mobile site though. I'd be willing to bet it is the #1 mobile site. Plus it is on the homepage of the phone that is wired by Verizon.

I don't care if my phone works with any other web page, just facebook. I have a $10 a month 75 MB data plan, and all I want to use it for is mobile email, navigator, and facebook. I don't want to spend $360 more dollars a year for a smartphone.

0 Likes
will_in_kc
Enthusiast - Level 3

To be honest though, the reason I still am holding out for Verizon to fix this rather than Facebook is because I have much more faith that Verizon will actually do something about it, even if that means contacting Facebook for basic phone users. I have about 0% confidence that Facebook will do anything if coming from me and not Verizon, even if I were to find a way to contact someone there directly. Their help pages are walled fortresses.

0 Likes