Why is my htc m8 overheating and draining my battery?
SirModem
Enthusiast - Level 2

My htc m8 overheats and drains the battery constantly. Never getting another htc.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Why is my htc m8 overheating and draining my battery?
SirModem
Enthusiast - Level 2

An update for those who may be having a similar problem. As I suspected the culprit was the Messaging app. Unsubscribing from Verizon Integrated Messaging seems to have solved the problem.

View solution in original post

MiiHere
Champion - Level 3

Can you look under settings>battery and list the top 5 things and the % they are using?

It might be under settings>power

0 Likes
SirModem
Enthusiast - Level 2

8.1% Messaging

4% Phone

2.8% JW Library

2.1% Hotmail SirModem

2% Google

Sent from my Windows Phone

0 Likes
MiiHere
Champion - Level 3

What % is left on your battery? Do you close all your apps from running in the background? I don't know about on the HTC but on the galaxy you use the left back button from the home screen and close all background apps.

0 Likes
B33
Legend

Whats your Display setting @  if it's Wide open setting on the highest level cut it back.. to lower level but one you can still see the Screen and if the screen is set to Auto Adjust uncheck it..

Since you Have a M8 Like I have check in settings and then the Developer Options see the phone is Running in High Performance Mode)  If it shows it's checked uncheck it see if that helps with the Heating and Draining of the Battery..  Performance Mode is a Setting in this section that helps the phone achieve Task a little faster but it can warm up the Battery and Drain the Battery at a Faster rate than when the option is not selected..

0 Likes
SirModem
Enthusiast - Level 2

I do close all the apps. Doesn't make a difference. Once the problem starts it doesn't stop until the phone is dead. Sometimes, turning the phone off and then back on helps.

I am not doing anything intensive. No games or videos. Mostly texting and calls, just light use. I know when the issue is present because the phone will get hot and stay that way until the battery is dead. It will also then have problems recharging, rebooting often, since whatever process is hung is still running.

0 Likes
SirModem
Enthusiast - Level 2

It's not a display setting issue. The phone used to work properly. I started noticing the issue after the update that changed the behavior of app updates to automatic rather than prompting user. Could just be coincidental.

I do not see a developer option. This is a standard windows m8 device.

0 Likes
B33
Legend

Try Powering it off and Charging it see what that does..

0 Likes
SirModem
Enthusiast - Level 2

Sometimes powering it off helps. I have to do so multiple times throughout the day of I want the battery to at least last until I get home. It's very annoying.

B33
Legend

Yea I've been there with Past Devices.. You might want to run by one of your Local Verizon's see what they say it may be it needs to be sent in for replacement Has been updated Lately..

0 Likes