Re: Will Verizon be carrying Windows 950 , 950XL ?
dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

Ok...I finally was able to get back to a VZW store.

The following is what I was told THIS TIME.....

Even if you have an active SIM card, stores cannot update VZW's database with the code. Supposedly, one can contact VZW Customer Service and they should be able to key the code. HOWEVER....much like the disclaimer that the functionality of unlocked phones that are not sold by VZW....which are brought over for activation....cannot be guaranteed to work flawlessly....the same holds true for tablets.

So...yes...an unlocked S3 can be brought onto VZW's network. The company will not guarantee if it will work flawlessly.

Side note...VZW has a disclaimer in the BYOD compatibility tool that says that Windows Mobile devices are not eligible for activation. I'm guessing that that would include the 950 and 950XL. That may change in the future, but right now, its no go.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

Activation is activating the sim card and not actually working on the network.

0 Likes
NolMac
Enthusiast - Level 2

I'm leaning towards very unlikely since it's been rumored to be universal GSM, but more and more phones are having all US major frequency models within the phone. It's actually sounding like Microsoft will sell it unlocked through the Microsoft store possibly only. I'd be surprised if not best buy too. Very similar to how Google is doing the two new Nexus phones. A lot of people are just used to buying their phone through their cell carrier. The real question is will Microsoft make a CDMA model or include CDMA, GSM, and WCDMA in all their phones. Since universal GSM is rumored along with nothing else. I don't like the odds, but since they're not likely selling it through cell companies I think there's hope. There'd be a lot of confusion for a lot of people that don't understand these things. Nor do I 100% fully understand it. This will likely be a deal breaker for me.

0 Likes
dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

I think that CDMA vs GSM will decline in significance as VoLTE progresses. Moving voice onto the data network will allow for more phones outside of the ones VZW sells in house to be brought online.

As of now, Windows Mobile devices are not permitted onto VZW's network (it clearly states that in the discussion about what is currently permitted under BYOD). It may get to the point where VZW throws open the door, allows everyone in...but...does so with the understanding that the performance of "outside" devices will not be guaranteed by VZW.

This is similar to what the Bell System did pre-divestiture. Today the RBOCs have largely gotten away from selling telephones and any phone purchased from Best Buy or even the cheapo models sold at CVS will work well with landlines.

0 Likes
Geebox
Contributor - Level 3

Yeah it can be confusing and complicated.

My friend who is a Verizon Sr Tech, past  Sales Rep just talked about this with me today. When I asked him the question could unlocked phones be activated on VZW LTE? He said yes and no. First the phone has to have VZW LTE bands 700 MHz 4G LTE spectrum and recently-acquired 1700/2100 MHz AWS. Second the Phone/Device's  MEID has to be in their system for Activation. Even the 700mhz block c. It is not guaranteed that even with the block c rule that all phones will be able to be activated. Current customers with an already activated SIM should be able to get and unlocked phone on there system provided it has VZW LTE bands, but if the phone/device's MEID is not in their system(phones that Verizon has tested and sales), it is not a guarantee that it will work. Even if it gets activated, it may not work correctly and VZW wont support it at all. He went on to say that there are some tricks that can be done to get it activated, but not all techs know how. Devices like the IPhone 6s plus with almost all the frequencies have the MEID in their system and can be activated with ease.

Regarding the upcoming Lumia 950(XL) based on the current leaked Frequency Bands

GSM  2G Bands: GSM 850, GSM 900, GSM 1800, GSM 1900

GSM 3G Bands:  HSDPA 850, HSDPA 900, HSDPA 1900, HSDPA 2100

GSM 4G Bands:  LTE 2100, LTE 800, LTE 1800, LTE 2600, LTE 900) , they do not have VZW frequency bands and will not able to activated on Verizon. He said even if the 950's were sold by Microsoft with the VZW Bands, unless the MEID of the phone is put in their systems the majority of the devices sold could not be activated on VZW. Only those with already activated SIMs might be able to get on or a few with the known activating tricks. Again not guaranteed to work. He stated at this time he doesn't know of any new flagship Windows Phones coming to Verizon.

Hope Microsoft has a surprise with the release of the 950, otherwise I'm going to ATT.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

Like I said before. If MS makes it work Verizon can't block it.... You guys are overly complicating things. There is no fundamental reason for Verizon to block it is MS makes it works. MS knows how. If MS wants to then can. The only thing it will not be able to do is activated the phone.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

Activation and using are two DIFFERENT things. You only need special tricks to activate a Sim(I posted multiple times earlier).  Since the 950 doesn't support the spectrum it will not work. That means MS didn't make it work, and didn't pay the licensing to use said spectrum to work on Verizon.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

The iphone 6 and such not all IMEI are in the system... if you buy an unlocked one from Apple it will say UNKNOWN device and you can't activate a Sim with it. Same with the Nexus 6...  They all work because the manufacturers make it work.

0 Likes
Geebox
Contributor - Level 3

Tidbits, that doesn't change the facts stated, common practice of VZW and what the VZW Tech knows to be true. The IPhone is a known device and has already been tested on VZW network even if the MEID/IMEI is not in their system yet. The point: only a handful of devices not on their system Might be able to be activated, there is only so many tricks and methods with the limited demos and such that can be used (handful). VZW could not activate a mass influx of New Phones(not in their system) on their network as well as a Mass influx of people trying to use unlocked New phones on its network. The VZW tech also stated that there are problems with those phones working correctly and they are stuck with the problem because VZW won't support. This should not be. You are trying to prove a point that unlocked LTE Phones with the right frequency can go on Verizon and because that the Block C Rules regulates that. That is not disputed. It also needs to be said that this is not always the case and is not always as easy as it should be. There shouldn't  be tricks to get the phone on their systems. VZW is not friendly to phones that they don't sell period. A law suit had to be filed on Verizon before the Nexus was allowed on their system. Verizon still blocked it for a while before allowing it on their system. The future still remains to be seen as to how smooth  VZW LTE Network works as it is still in the works to be main stream. Both the Carriers &  Manufacturers have to make it easy for customers to chose a phone and use it where they want. I want the Lumia 950XL on Verizon (not happening as of yet). It is on Microsoft first if they don't make it with the right frequencies for VZW. It is also on Verizon for not working with Microsoft to get them to make it with the right frequencies not to mention again VZW's practice of not supporting the Windows Phone even if they sell them.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

Whatever man... fact is out there.

Nexus 6 from Play Store and Motorola

All unlocked iPhones not purchased from Apple.

Moto X 2015 from Motorola

They ALL say unknown device, and DO NOT have the IMEI in the system and THEY WORK just can't activate the sims.  The reason why they work is because of Block C and these companies MADE them work.  There is no special tricks just put the sim in and it works.  There's MILLIONS of examples of this.

Just the fact you posted the support listing shows Microsoft DIDN'T put the spectrum to make it work so it's a MOOT point.  IF Microsoft did put the effort in then it would work.  That's on Microsoft and not Verizon.

That lawsuit about the Nexus 6 was about ACTIVATION and not about it working on Verizon.  It was thrown out of court to top it off because all a person had to do... it get their sim card activated another way like their previous device or using one of the demo phones in the store with a $3(you can find these from time to time for less than a dollar) sim adapter.

I own an unlocked Nexus 6(Motorola), iPhone 6, and soon the be 5X, and 6P. I been through it more than once with Verizon.  Chances are if Microsoft did make a 950 that supported the spectrum Verizon uses I would have bought one.  The fact rumors show it doesn't makes the choice for me.  At this point there is 0 reasons for a manufacturer to have multiple model numbers based on hardware.  The fact MS doesn't do this is a turn off.  Actually it's a turn off for me since Qualcomm introduced their universal radios that CAN support 1 phone for the entire world if you wanted to make it that way.

0 Likes