Will the HTC One M8 get the Windows 10 upgrade?
RichardContratto

When I bought it a year ago, it was advertised by Verizon that it would. If I knew it wasn't going to get the upgrade I would have purchased the Android version, or an entirely different phone. Verizon customers don't like getting the run around, and blame shifting to Microsoft and the phone manufacturers. The upgrade advisor says "Your phone is not supported for the upgrade to Windows 10". Nothing about check back later. HTC advertised 2 year support, and Verizon advertised that it would be supported for the Windows 10 upgrade. Can I get more than a vague answer like wait and see? Can I get out of whats left of my two year contract, and upgrade my phone without a penalty?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Will the HTC One M8 get the Windows 10 upgrade?
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Microsoft made that decision. Verizon Wireless has nothing to do with it.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
RichardContratto

When I purchased my phone, it was advertised by Verizon on behalf of HTC that it would receive the Windows 10 upgrade. Regardless of what Microsoft is saying now, Verizon most certainly had something to do with how they promoted the phones. Do you represent Verizon Ann154?

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Do you see an employee badge or signature? This is a peer to peer customer forum and what few employees that are here are clearly defined.

Just because it is promoted that way doesn't mean that Microsoft and/or HTC can't change their minds. It is more likely Verizon Wireless got those promotional materials or information from Microsoft or HTC then thinking it up themselves. They are not the first company to change how long a device is actually supported.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
RichardContratto

When a company advertises something, It doesn't make any difference if another entity changes their mind. When any company advertises a product with certain selling features, and doesn't honor them, its called false advertising.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Then it listed an expectation not a guarantee. Expectations can change.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

RichardContratto wrote:

When I purchased my phone, it was advertised by Verizon on behalf of HTC that it would receive the Windows 10 upgrade. Regardless of what Microsoft is saying now, Verizon most certainly had something to do with how they promoted the phones. Do you represent Verizon Ann154?

That would be on MS no matter what you say.  If they are the ones saying it will, and it doesn't.  It is no different than when Sony removed features away from the PlayStation and was advertised having said features.  Everyone went straight to Sony and not BestBuy. 

Here's one thing to look at.  Show where the manufacturer says something and the retailers are the ones liable.  You will not find one court case that says that happens.  Even the FTC will tell you that's on the manufacturer.

0 Likes
EricInCleveland
Enthusiast - Level 1

I'm not getting involved in a shooting match here, this is just a data point for other M8 users.

In early March my just-out-of-Applecare iPhone 5 suddenly died, going into a boot loop with an odd screen flicker. The 'genius' at the Apple Store glanced at it and said it was a hardware error they'd seen often on the iPhone 5, there was nothing they could do about it, and that I'd have to get a new phone.  He also said the '5 had always had problems.  Well, although they tried talking me into it, I wasn't in a mood to shell out serious dollars for another iPhone, I don't particularly like Android (just personal preference), and so decided to try a Windows phone.  I hadn't used Windows mobile since my PDA days, so why not?

My first (and IMO best) smartphone years ago was an Android HTC, so in spite of the company's problems I went to a reputable refurb dealer on eBay, found a Windows 8.1 M8 for $150, got the IDs from the seller and called Verizon to verify it wasn't stolen.

They did verify it, and, just by way of conversation, the rep I spoke to told me it was definitely going to be upgradeable to Windows 10, and that I could even get it right away if I joined the Windows Insider program (he also said I'd be better off buying a brand-new M8, since I was upgrade-eligible on my contract, but fortunately I declined).

Since I was already a WI member, I went ahead and bought the used phone.  I never bothered with 8.1 and immediately got on the fast ring of WI and upgraded it to Windows 10.  The first build I got was buggy but for the most part it functioned acceptably.

As of today, I can only get the phone up to OS Build 10.0.10586.218 (I'm on the WI slow ring, now), but it's running extremely well-- faster than my iPhone 5 was with the latest iOS and so far no bugs (since the last update a week ago). I've got nearly the same apps (or equivalents) that I had on my iPhone, so I'm a happy camper, for the moment.  Even my contacts and calendars are syncing just fine with my Macs.  Unfortunately, this may be as far as I can go with it, but I'm hoping MS quietly keeps rolling out compatible updates, at least via the WI program.

But, as I said, Verizon did in fact tell me my M8 was "definitely" going get the Windows 10 upgrade (eventually three different reps said it, and that was in early- and mid-March).  Now, depending on which blog you read or which vendors' support line you talk to, it's the fault of MS, Verizon, and/or HTC.  As a longtime Verizon wireless customer (since before the Airtouch merger, actually), I've seen them do things like this before ('guaranteeing' various Android upgrades to sell certain flagship devices, then pulling back).  Whatever the reason, they shouldn't be doing this in 2015.  They've been around long enough to know better, and I feel Mr. Contratto has a valid complaint (if I'd actually bought a *new* M8 from them based on what they told me, I'd be angry as hell too, and at least demand some sort of account credit).

Of course, all this may be moot if MS really does kill off Windows phone, and it's not looking good.  HTC is on the ropes, financially, and probably isn't in any mood to support a Windows phone when even MS seems uncertain about doing so.  And it's most likely a very small installed base of M8s, anyway, so Verizon probably doesn't care.  Sadly, our situation is unlikely to improve much, if at all.

Ironically, so far I'm really liking Windows Phone 10-- better than iOS-- even if my HTC never gets an official upgrade.  But I am definitely glad I bought it used, and when it finally stops working I'll get another iPhone, since Myerson's recent comment that "Windows mobile platform simply [i]sn't Microsoft's focus now" hardly bodes well for the platform.

Too bad.

Anyway, good luck with your battle, Richard.