Re: Windows 10 upgrade
primortal
Master - Level 1

topher36 wrote:

Yes, Microsoft made the decision not to update the 928 and Icon.  However, this was done because Verizon needs to update the firmware for these phones, and approve the W10M update.  Microsoft cannot just push the updates out, and without the firmware updates, issues will continue to linger.  After phones are officially updated to W10M, hopefully carriers will no longer be roadblocks for getting updates.  Hopefully the 735 will get any firmware updates that it needs for the W10M update and Verizon allows the update.  The 735 is not limited to Verizon, so it is possible that Verizon will not do what they need to do to allow the update.

There's no confirmation that the 928 or Icon need firmware updates.  Microsoft stated that some device may need an updated firmware but declined to provide said devices.  My Icon runs fine with the last release to the insiders (which is the same build Microsoft is rolling out).

Plus the official list of devices that Microsoft said will be getting Windows 10 Mobile is it.  There will be no 'second' wave of devices getting get it.  Here is why the Lumia 1020 (and likely other phones) are not getting Windows 10 Mobile | Windows Cen...

So us Icon users are SOL with a official (non-Insider) release and are left out when it comes to the next wave of releases, Redstone. The devices that are officially getting Windows 10 Mobile update will be inline for Redstone.

friscob
Enthusiast - Level 1

I got a firmware update for my Lumia 735 a little less than a month ago, 2/25/16 I think. So hopefully that was the firmware update getting us ready for the W10 upgrade. I also contacted Verizon through their facebook page, but got no new info and was directed to the page that shows current software updates for all the phones, so no help at all. I know the Lumia 735 is on the list to receive the upgrade, and the upgrade advisor told me my phone was eligible, but that the update was not available yet. I think everyone just wants to know if it will be pushed to Verizon customers soon. But the previous poster who talked to a Verizon rep made me a little optimistic that we'll get it soon. 

primortal
Master - Level 1

Nope that firmware update was to Activate Advanced Calling directly on the device along with possible bug fixes and performance improvements but not to prep for Windows 10 Mobile.

Advanced Calling is Verizon's brand of HD Voice calling, so now your calls will sound better and you'll have the ability to turn the feature on and off. To do so, go to Settings -> Cellular + SIM -> SIM Settings -> Advanced Calling.

Granted the 735 is slated as per Microsoft to get Windows 10 Mobile just have to wait till Verizon pushes the button to release it.  The UpgradeAdvisor said my Icon was eligible as well and it not getting it per Microsoft.

0 Likes
sean161
Enthusiast - Level 3

topher36 Well, that's the sort of thing I'd want to get confirmation of before jumping to any conclusions, because the fact is, I did purchase this phone because of the way it was advertised. The Microsoft Store still promises Windows 10 for the Lumia 735.

But, if it's coming, great, no worries.

Capture3.PNG

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

topher36 wrote:

Yes, Microsoft made the decision not to update the 928 and Icon.  However, this was done because Verizon needs to update the firmware for these phones, and approve the W10M update.  Microsoft cannot just push the updates out, and without the firmware updates, issues will continue to linger.  After phones are officially updated to W10M, hopefully carriers will no longer be roadblocks for getting updates.  Hopefully the 735 will get any firmware updates that it needs for the W10M update and Verizon allows the update.  The 735 is not limited to Verizon, so it is possible that Verizon will not do what they need to do to allow the update.

Even a phone does need a firmware update, Verizon Wireless isn't the one writing that update. Microsoft or the Device Manufacturer is. Verizon's only role in software updates is to test the device to ensure the update installs fully and doesn't break the phone's connection to the Verizon Wireless network in the process.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
primortal
Master - Level 1
0 Likes
bgoodbody
Contributor - Level 1

I have a 735 purchased from Verizon and got the update, but upgrade Advisor does not deliver the update

0 Likes
eks1910
Enthusiast - Level 3

bgoodbody - So you received the Windows 10 update via the normal "phone update" under settings?

0 Likes
groadyho
Enthusiast - Level 3

a friend on att got it today- i'm still checking but to no avail.

0 Likes
sean161
Enthusiast - Level 3

I dug up this Twitter response. Verizon Wireless CS on Twitter: "@rodtrent Real people here. We are working on that update for selec...

No date, but it'll happen for some devices eventually. And, the head of Microsoft's Insider Program tweeted they're exploring the possibility of adding the Icon to eligible devices. Closest I can find to any sort of acknowledgement. Hang in there, guys.

0 Likes