Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Have a phone you love? Get up to $500 when you bring your phone.
end of navigation menu
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Re: Windows 8.1 for Mobile Cortana
rcschnoor
Sr. Leader
Sr. Leader

primortal wrote:

The problem is that developers will not build apps for Windows Phone because it's not popular enough and Windows Phone cannot be popular without said apps

If Microsoft is dedicated to Windows Phone ecosystem and wants to dominate the market they have a powerhouse of developers and should work with companies that are lacking Windows Phone apps, develop the app for them and turn over the code to the company once the app gains in popularity.

Plus Microsoft needs to advertise, the Siri vs. Cortana ad is a start but they need much more advertising.

When android was first introduced, the app selection was but a tiny fraction of what was available for iPhones. Now there is little difference in offerings.

This is why I held off on purchasing an android phone when they were first introduced. After the offerings became more plentiful, I purchased my first android phone. The apps have got to be there if Microsoft wants to improve the popularity of Windows Phones.Smiley Happy

0 Likes
Re: Windows 8.1 for Mobile Cortana
primortal
Sr. Member

rcschnoor wrote:

When android was first introduced, the app selection was but a tiny fraction of what was available for iPhones. Now there is little difference in offerings.

This is why I held off on purchasing an android phone when they were first introduced. After the offerings became more plentiful, I purchased my first android phone. The apps have got to be there if Microsoft wants to improve the popularity of Windows Phones.

Agreed but like I said if the developers do not want to make apps for Windows Phone; the OS is doomed.

Heck, VZW doesn't even have the apps for Windows Phone that they have for Andriod and iOS.

Re: Windows 8.1 for Mobile Cortana
rcschnoor
Sr. Leader
Sr. Leader

primortal wrote:

Heck, VZW doesn't even have the apps for Windows Phone that they have for Andriod and iOS.

The same USED to be said for iPhones as android is its most popular OS. Recently, though, VZW has been catching up and offering more of its apps on iPhones.

This is ALSO a problem that the apps have to gain approval from Apple/Microsoft before they can be offered in the respective app stores.

A manufacturer DOES NOT have to give approval for an app to be offered in the Google Play Store.

Re: Windows 8.1 for Mobile Cortana
grafixguy
Novice

The "app gap" for most users is non-existent. I've used plenty of iOS and Android devices but Windows Phone is far superior, for my needs. Most of the apps in all of the app stores are junk anyway. The major apps are on Windows Phone and getting updates. It's way smoother, way faster and the battery life, at least on my Icon is amazing. While my iPhone toting friends are running around looking for power outlets, I'm looking for places to take great pictures.

I stand by my statement. The biggest problem with Windows Phone is the lack of promotion. I hope that once 8.1 is fully deployed that all of the carriers and MSFT will do a better job. I think it's essential for MSFT to make sure that the holdout apps are added even if it means paying the developers to create them.

0 Likes
Re: Windows 8.1 for Mobile Cortana
primortal
Sr. Member

rcschnoor wrote:

The same USED to be said for iPhones as android is its most popular OS. Recently, though, VZW has been catching up and offering more of its apps on iPhones.

This is ALSO a problem that the apps have to gain approval from Apple/Microsoft before they can be offered in the respective app stores.

A manufacturer DOES NOT have to give approval for an app to be offered in the Google Play Store.

The difference today is that Andriod/iOS has been around a lot longer than Windows Phone, so they have a huge advantage in the app realm.  The key is VZW been playing catchup on iPhone and ignoring Windows Phone.

Why is it a problem that apps need approval from Apple/Microsoft?  I'm glad that Apple/Microsoft approve the apps first before they get to the store.  This prevents the problems that Andriod has, mal/spyware; granted this goes mostly for apps that get installed outside of Google Play.  Still a black mark against the OS.

0 Likes
Re: Re: Windows 8.1 for Mobile Cortana
rcschnoor
Sr. Leader
Sr. Leader

primortal wrote:


The difference today is that Andriod/iOS has been around a lot longer than Windows Phone, so they have a huge advantage in the app realm.  And yet in the beginning, iOS had a huge advantage over android in the app realm. Not so anymore.


The key is VZW been playing catchup on iPhone and ignoring Windows Phone. What provider wouldn't devote more time on an OS which a FAR GREATER amount of its user base currently uses? It would be crazy for VZW to do anything else.

Why is it a problem that apps need approval from Microsoft?  Because it takes MORE time for apps to be offered, meaning MORE time for app store parity to be achieved?

I'm glad that Apple/Microsoft approve the apps first before they get to the store.  This prevents the problems that Andriod has, mal/spyware; granted this goes mostly for apps that get installed outside of Google Play.  Still a black mark against the OS.

Apple already had a huge offering of apps BEFORE the first iPhone was even introduced. This is not the case for Microsoft. That may be a stumbling block for them.

0 Likes
Re: Re: Windows 8.1 for Mobile Cortana
rcschnoor
Sr. Leader
Sr. Leader

grafixguy wrote:

The "app gap" for most users is non-existent. I've used plenty of iOS and Android devices but Windows Phone is far superior, for my needs. Most of the apps in all of the app stores are junk anyway. The major apps are on Windows Phone and getting updates. It's way smoother, way faster and the battery life, at least on my Icon is amazing. While my iPhone toting friends are running around looking for power outlets, I'm looking for places to take great pictures.

I stand by my statement. The biggest problem with Windows Phone is the lack of promotion. I hope that once 8.1 is fully deployed that all of the carriers and MSFT will do a better job. I think it's essential for MSFT to make sure that the holdout apps are added even if it means paying the developers to create them.

It seems we simply have a difference of opinion. I see a large "app gap" for myself and many other users.

I don't necessarily agree that Windows Phone biggest problem is the lack of promotion. I see more Windows Phones placed in TV/Movies than iPhones and android devices. I see almost as many Windows Phone ads on TV as iPhone/android ads, too. I am well aware of the Windows Phone offerings, as I have had PLENTY of promotion about the platform. Additional promotion isn't going to make the apps I use appear on the Windows Phone app store, though.

0 Likes
Re: Re: Windows 8.1 for Mobile Cortana
grafixguy
Novice

rcschnoor wrote:

It seems we simply have a difference of opinion. I see a large "app gap" for myself and many other users.

It's going to depend on your needs. I don't think most users need 15 apps that all do the same thing. All I know is that everyone I show my Icon to is pretty impressed with it.

Give it time.

0 Likes
Re: Re: Re: Windows 8.1 for Mobile Cortana
primortal
Sr. Member

rcschnoor wrote:

What provider wouldn't devote more time on an OS which a FAR GREATER amount of its user base currently uses? It would be crazy for VZW to do anything else.

VZW wanted Windows Phone to be the "third ecosystem" (http://www.theverge.com/2012/4/19/2960427/verizon-windows-phone-third-ecosystem). If that's the case devote some time to programing for it.

rcschnoor wrote:


Because it takes MORE time for apps to be offered, meaning MORE time for app store parity to be achieved?

Developers have no problem doing this for Apple so there shouldn't be any complaints for doing it for the Windows Phone Store.  With the introduction of Universal Apps I expect the application gap will close quickly.

rcschnoor wrote:

Apple already had a huge offering of apps BEFORE the first iPhone was even introduced. This is not the case for Microsoft. That may be a stumbling block for them.

That's because Apple knew what they are doing.  They had to have a good selection of apps otherwise the phone would be useless...  Microsoft doesn't get that hence where they are today.

0 Likes
Re: Re: Windows 8.1 for Mobile Cortana
rcschnoor
Sr. Leader
Sr. Leader

grafixguy wrote:


It's going to depend on your needs. I don't think most users need 15 apps that all do the same thing. All I know is that everyone I show my Icon to is pretty impressed with it.

I don't have 15 apps which do the same thing, but I do have multiple apps which do different things. Yes, there are some apps available, but I don't plan to get bitten again with promises of apps arriving and never materializing. That happened in my last foray into the Windows Phone arena. Trick me once... This time I will wait until they arrive. I also have the same policy with other operating systems/phones. I don't purchase a phone with a "promise" of an update or "future capabilities". I wait until the update is available and the phones are ALREADY capable.

grafixguy wrote:

Give it time.

I have NEVER disagreed with this. Some, it seems, are not willing to do so and instead complain about how the providers are sabotaging the OS. I simply say "give me the apps I want" and more people will make the jump. As you have said, that will take time.Smiley Happy

0 Likes