Windows 8.1 for Mobile Cortana
placenet2000

Don't understand it.  Just saw Cortana advertised for a nokia lumia

and yet now update from Verizon.  Can anyone tell us how long we have to wait for the testinf

to be done. I know that Microsoft released it a while back to Verizon and somehow we aren't

getting the release.  Please let us know

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Windows 8.1 for Mobile Cortana
Paul_Willy
Enthusiast - Level 1

Nokia global support shows WP 8.1 testing on the 928.  For anyone supporting hundreds or thousands of Windows machines, the only smart choice is to properly test prior to deployment.  I do, and can't fault VZW for wanting to determine what effect the new OS will have on their network as well as their customers phones.

I do NOT want an update that causes issues with the phone functionality.  It is a fine phone and in the end it must remain a phone, not bricked or flakey.

You can see what phones are testing and what phones will never see the update.

Availability in North America - Nokia

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Paul_Willy
Enthusiast - Level 1

Nokia global support shows WP 8.1 testing on the 928.  For anyone supporting hundreds or thousands of Windows machines, the only smart choice is to properly test prior to deployment.  I do, and can't fault VZW for wanting to determine what effect the new OS will have on their network as well as their customers phones.

I do NOT want an update that causes issues with the phone functionality.  It is a fine phone and in the end it must remain a phone, not bricked or flakey.

You can see what phones are testing and what phones will never see the update.

Availability in North America - Nokia

0 Likes
placenet2000

Thanks Paul for the update. Having put 40 years or so into Software development

I understand what you are saying. I just believe that an open ended time frame for delivery

never works very well. Knowing what the estimated time table would help.

Having the hardware without the software is not as useful.

Hopefully it will be soon for delivery.

Dom

0 Likes
jharris326
Contributor - Level 1

Not to knock you since I agree VZW needs to test  but....AT&T has already released it to ALL of their Windows Phones and VWZ is still showing as testing.  VZW is still pushing the sales of Apple and Android phones and trying to kill the Windows Phone which from what I have seen on both of the competitors is better.  I mean how many different versions of Android are out there and how many of them have unpatched bugs.  Apple's phone has WiFi connection issues I don't see with other devices.  How many Apple phones have been bricked due to an update directly from Apple?  Why are they taking their time to release the updates to Windows phones?  Maybe to push us to buy an over priced copy of Apple's last year model?

0 Likes
grafixguy
Contributor - Level 2

I agree the updates could be speedier, but to accuse VZW of trying to kill WP is a bit silly. Why would they make exclusive deals for flagship phones if they want to kill it?

Now, if you want to accuse them of not knowing how to promote it, I'm right there with you.

0 Likes
MikeAdams
Enthusiast - Level 3

Not knowing how to PROMOTE it?  They not only don't feature it in the stores, but every time I have been there -- they always direct people to either apple or android.  I don't know, maybe they make more on the other phones -- but I have seen several times where they avoid selling Windows Phones.

As far as updates, if they don't have (or want to commit) the recourses to test in a timely manner maybe they should open testing up to some users.  I really don't care what their problem is, they need to correct it or tell us that they won't and let us out of our contracts.  We have had a phone with VZW since they took MobileNet, but the way I feel that their tech is -- that is not looking like something that I'll be able to say once our contract is up.

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

MikeAdams wrote:

Not knowing how to PROMOTE it?  They not only don't feature it in the stores, but every time I have been there -- they always direct people to either apple or android.  I don't know, maybe they make more on the other phones -- but I have seen several times where they avoid selling Windows Phones.

Personally, I think they MAY steer people to Apple/Android phones simply because the Windows Phones may not have the same functionality as the other phones currently have.

They MAY see how people use their phone/what apps they rely upon and seeing no equivalent option on a Windows phone don't want to feel the wrath of people making the switch, coming back furious when they no longer can utilize an app which they had come to rely upon with Apple/Android devices.

This is certainly why I have been hesitant in giving a Windows phone a try again. I have wanted to try the new Windows Phones for quite some time, but I have been unwilling to make the jump simply because too many of the apps I routinely use are not available on the Windows Phone platform. I was plagued by that problem with my last foray into Windows Phones. I plan to wait until the app offerings are more similar in the future, if they ever are.

When apps for Windows Phones become more plentiful, I think you may see a higher rate of adoption. Until that time, though, I think they will continue to stay in 3rd place for smartphone OS popularity.Smiley Happy

primortal
Master - Level 1

The problem is that developers will not build apps for Windows Phone because it's not popular enough and Windows Phone cannot be popular without said apps Smiley Sad

If Microsoft is dedicated to Windows Phone ecosystem and wants to dominate the market they have a powerhouse of developers and should work with companies that are lacking Windows Phone apps, develop the app for them and turn over the code to the company once the app gains in popularity.

Plus Microsoft needs to advertise, the Siri vs. Cortana ad is a start but they need much more advertising.

0 Likes
Not applicable
0 Likes
MikeAdams
Enthusiast - Level 3

From what I have seen, you give them WAY too much credit.  They don't even look at the existing phones that the customer uses, just try to sell them the others.  You have to be prepared to really stand up to them if you want to walk out with WP.

As far as the apps, I will concede that the number of apps are far lower than the others.  However, I would argue that there is almost no functionality that can be found in any one over the others.  And, WP has the edge in some to boot.  If you are really hesitant only because of available apps, I would advise you to actually look not necessarily for actual app names but what they actually do.  Maybe go to a MS store and try some out...  I doubt that most people, if they look that way, wouldn't really see a vast difference.

But, as long as the sales staff push the other hardware, it is an uphill battle.

0 Likes