Re: Re: Windows 8.1 for Mobile Cortana
primortal
Master - Level 1

rcschnoor wrote:

I don't necessarily agree that Windows Phone biggest problem is the lack of promotion. I see more Windows Phones placed in TV/Movies than iPhones and android devices. I see almost as many Windows Phone ads on TV as iPhone/android ads, too. I am well aware of the Windows Phone offerings, as I have had PLENTY of promotion about the platform. Additional promotion isn't going to make the apps I use appear on the Windows Phone app store, though.

The iPhone device is more recognizable device in someone hand in a TV/Movie that an Windows Phone device.  So it's hard from a consumer level to know what phone is the actors hand if it's not an iPhone.

What have the developers of the apps you are missing on the Windows Phone said when asking if they are developing for Windows Phone?

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

primortal wrote:

VZW wanted Windows Phone to be the "third ecosystem" (http://www.theverge.com/2012/4/19/2960427/verizon-windows-phone-third-ecosystem). If that's the case devote some time to programing for it.

Who's to say they aren't, but being a fraction of the user base it is also a fraction of the manpower most likely.

primortal wrote:

Developers have no problem doing this for Apple so there shouldn't be any complaints for doing it for the Windows Phone Store.  With the introduction of Universal Apps I expect the application gap will close quickly.

Except there is a large user base on the iPhone, not a luxury Windows Phone has. Is a developer going to spend more time on a platform with a 100,000,000 unit user base or on a platform with a 1,000,000 unit user base. I know which one I would spend more time on. As a result, it takes more time for the Windows apps.

primortal wrote:

That's because Apple knew what they are doing.  They had to have a good selection of apps otherwise the phone would be useless...  Microsoft doesn't get that hence where they are today.

Nothing I haven't been saying all along. Get the app selection up, the users will follow, possibly even myself.

0 Likes
primortal
Master - Level 1

rcschnoor wrote:

Nothing I haven't been saying all along. Get the app selection up, the users will follow, possibly even myself.

Then start pestering the companies that are lacking apps on Windows Phone.  Show you support instead of flapping your typing about the lack of apps

The apps I'm missing the companies get Tweets/Facebook posts and emails monthly expressing my interest.

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

primortal wrote:

The iPhone device is more recognizable device in someone hand in a TV/Movie that an Windows Phone device.  So it's hard from a consumer level to know what phone is the actors hand if it's not an iPhone.

Form factor, possibly, but when a Windows Phone is in a TV/Movie the screen is specifically showcased displaying the Windows "tiles" which CANNNOT be mistaken for any other device. 'These are prominently displayed in MANY TV shows/Movies.

primortal wrote:

What have the developers of the apps you are missing on the Windows Phone said when asking if they are developing for Windows Phone?

I have never done so. It is not a concern of mine that I am so tied to a specific platform to REQUEST an app. I will simply choose the platform which has the apps I use in a form factor I prefer.

I didn't do so for android when they were lacking apps available on iPhones. I am not going to start doing so now.

0 Likes
primortal
Master - Level 1

rcschnoor wrote:

Form factor, possibly, but when a Windows Phone is in a TV/Movie the screen is specifically showcased displaying the Windows "tiles" which CANNNOT be mistaken for any other device. 'These are prominently displayed in MANY TV shows/Movies.

Please name a few TV/Movie specifically showing live titles.

rcschnoor wrote:

I have never done so. It is not a concern of mine that I am so tied to a specific platform to REQUEST an app. I will simply choose the platform which has the apps I use in a form factor I prefer.

I didn't do so for android when they were lacking apps available on iPhones. I am not going to start doing so now.

People like you are part of the problem.  Without a demand then why bother.  So stop whining that Windows Phone is lacking apps as it seems it's beneath you or bothersome asking companies to develop apps for Windows Phone.

0 Likes
Re: Windows 8.1 for Mobile Cortana
grafixguy
Contributor - Level 2

About the only people that recognize Windows Phones are the ones that already own them. Noticed them being used on Dallas on TNT.

Surface tablets are getting more and more air time, too.

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

I don't own a Windows Phone, but I certainly recognize them when I see them on TV and/or in Movies.

0 Likes
Not applicable

You know it really does not matter. I have never seen any windows phones in movies. I have seen iPhones and Blackberry devices. A few androids on series TV.

In many cases the device featured pays the shows or the producers for that brand showing.

I have never seen any of my co-workers over the years use any Windows phones.

They mostly carry iPhones and android devices. And the staff are or were issued Blackberry devices but have since been issued apple iPhones.

However I have seen many Apple Computers as of late showing up on TV series, almost all of them. I have also seen Microsoft Windows machines in movies and TV shows but never any Windows phones.

I will assume that the Microsoft Windows devices are not what people want at present time. Who knows if they ever will be popular.  In the link I provided it even shows a decline. So let that be your guide.

Apps I feel are a secondary issue. I don't clutter my devices with this app or that app. I am thinking most people don't really need all those apps on their phones.

But that is my personal observations.

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

primortal wrote:

Please name a few TV/Movie specifically showing live titles.

Off the top of my head "24" and the old "Burn Notice" TV series. I believe "Person of Interest" has them, too. There are others which I can't recall right now.

primortal wrote:

People like you are part of the problem.  Without a demand then why bother.  So stop whining that Windows Phone is lacking apps as it seems it's beneath you or bothersome asking companies to develop apps for Windows Phone.

Simply a difference of opinion. I can live without a Windows Phone. I can live without an android phone. I can live without an iPhone. I can live without a BB. NO phone platform is in and of itself a "can't live without" platform. When the manufacturers of the OS start believing that is when they are doomed to fail. Look at BB, the most popular OS at one time, now a distant 4th place. I will leave that to the fanboys who argue "my phone is the best, why would you want anything different?" I have found most platforms to be quite capable. It doesn't matter to me that Windows Phones lack apps. Simply that until they DO have more of the apps I regularly use, I would not consider them a viable solution for MY needs. That is all. You seem to be putting the cart before the horse. It is the job of Microsoft to create a demand for their product. Until they do, their product will not be a big seller. That is going to require more apps available for their platform. Why bother? I assume because Microsoft would like their product to succeed.

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

Elector wrote:

Apps I feel are a secondary issue. I don't clutter my devices with this app or that app. I am thinking most people don't really need all those apps on their phones.

This I certainly disagree with. A smartphone without apps is simply a basic phone. Why pay the extra money for a smartphone? To check email? That requires an app. Texting? That requires an app. Navigation? That requires an app. Listening to music? That requires an app. Surfing the web? That requires an app. You can't do ANYTHING on a smartphone without the use of an app. You even use an app to make a call.

Without apps, a smartphone is useless. Apps are what makes smartphones popular with the masses. Until you have the selection of apps people want, a smartphone platform will be unsuccessful.

While the following is not aimed at you, Elector, developers of apps don't need to be "told" or "pestered" to develop apps for the Windows Platform. If they are popular on other platforms, it is VERY likely they will be popular on the Windows platform. App developers KNOW if their app is in demand by the number of downloads in the various app stores. They don't need to be reminded by me.

0 Likes