Re: Windows 8.1 for Mobile Cortana
Not applicable

My statement is my sole opinion based on my usage of my devices.

I have the apps that came on the device (Mail, Photos, Settings, etc.) I placed maybe 3 apps on my iphone of which the drug store, supermarket and my car app. There may be a few more but not many.

On our androids there are a few more since my wife likes Netflix and iheartradio and YouTube and its loaded

I cannot figure out what she needs them all for. And I placed two paid printing apps on the device since the androids have terrible printing apps native to them.

And to tell you the truth on our iPads there is probably nothing but what apple installed on them when we bought them. Same for my Nexus.

I am just to old now to be bothered with all the junk I use to like years ago

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

I have seen at least the Windows 8 tablets on a couple of shows on the CW network. I am not as sure about the phones, but I have seen them.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
primortal
Master - Level 1

rcschnoor wrote:

Simply a difference of opinion. I can live without a Windows Phone. I can live without an android phone. I can live without an iPhone. I can live without a BB. NO phone platform is in and of itself a "can't live without" platform. When the manufacturers of the OS start believing that is when they are doomed to fail. Look at BB, the most popular OS at one time, now a distant 4th place. I will leave that to the fanboys who argue "my phone is the best, why would you want anything different?" I have found most platforms to be quite capable. It doesn't matter to me that Windows Phones lack apps. Simply that until they DO have more of the apps I regularly use, I would not consider them a viable solution for MY needs. That is all. You seem to be putting the cart before the horse. It is the job of Microsoft to create a demand for their product. Until they do, their product will not be a big seller. That is going to require more apps available for their platform. Why bother? I assume because Microsoft would like their product to succeed.

Really I'm not putting the cart before the horse..  Microsoft does have a demand for their product; AT&T carries a wide range of devices and VZW has a few with Sprint and T-Mobile  If there wasn't a demand no carrier would carry the device.

The problem is there isn't enough of a demand and that boils down to poor advertisement and Microsoft has always been horrible about advertising Windows Phone.  They've done a better job advertising the Surface then the Windows Phone.  Displaying the backs of a Windows Phone or text messaging screen in a tv or movie isn't in-product advertisement because no actor says "Hey is that a Windows Phone".  Those of us tech savvy people knows the device by it's back or text message screen; others do not have a clue and don't bother to inquire because backs of phones or text message screens does not invoke "I have to have it, what is it?" mentality.

So were back to my original statement; Microsoft needs to work with the company's that have the most popular apps and get them in the Windows Phone Store.  Also as I said with Universal apps it makes it a lot easier to develop one app and have to deployed to multiple devices; PC, Tablet, XBox One and the Windows Phone.  So I expect to see a surge is Windows Phone apps in the coming months.

0 Likes
Not applicable

Lets stray a little off course here.

I have seen countless movies where "Marlboro" cigarettes are being smoked. The trade brand logos and word signify the Marlboro Name. It is unmistakeable. (Philip Morris and Kraft Foods)

But the movies charge for that branding. If Microsoft is not promoting the phone in regular media as the surface tablet why would they pay for the viability in any movie or TV show?

And when I see a little Apple logo on a laptop or even on a phone I know its an apple product.

Just as I have seen IBM on devices on TV and movies. (James bond comes to mind in Golden Eye)

I have seen branding even in beers used on TV shows and movies.

It basically comes down to what the company is willing to pay for that branding.

0 Likes
primortal
Master - Level 1

Yes, and they are all branded items with logos that everyone comes to know...  Windows Phone doesn't have a half eaten fruit or a robot on the back's of their phones.  Only those who know what Nokia/Microsoft OY Lumia devices looks like will spot them.

Lets take NCIS: LA for example.  Microsoft does provide devices used in the show.  They clearly flaunt the Surface tablet Start Screen and such but they don't do the same for Windows Phone; at least that I know of.  I haven't caught up with last season yet. 

Another example is I've seen Windows Phone devices; primarily the backs of phone and text or camera screens in Castle but not a mention that it's a Window Phone.  Same for Burn Notice; backs of the phone.  I've lost count of the other shows that only show the backs and nothing else.  Scandal; call screen and wait for it, back of the phone; Windows Phone taking the spotlight in TV show "Scandal" | Windows Phone Central.

Same for Hawaii 5-0; loves flaunting Surface; just the backs, call and text screens for the phones.  Psych; backs, call and text screens. Here are some more shows; Windows Phone Central Forums.

Surface yeah no problem showing the Start Screen and such

Microsoft wants the Windows Phone to succeed but they need to stop treating it as the evil red-headed step child.

rcschnoor
Legend

primortal wrote:

Lets take NCIS: LA for example.  Microsoft does provide devices used in the show.  They clearly flaunt the Surface tablet Start Screen and such but they don't do the same for Windows Phone; at least that I know of.  I haven't caught up with last season yet.

Another example is I've seen Windows Phone devices; primarily the backs of phone and text or camera screens in Castle but not a mention that it's a Window Phone.  Same for Burn Notice; backs of the phone.  I've lost count of the other shows that only show the backs and nothing else.  Scandal; call screen and wait for it, back of the phone; Windows Phone taking the spotlight in TV show "Scandal" | Windows Phone Central.

Same for Hawaii 5-0; loves flaunting Surface; just the backs, call and text screens for the phones.  Psych; backs, call and text screens. Here are some more shows; Windows Phone Central Forums.

I disagree. I couldn't tell a Windows Phone from the back of the phone. The ONLY way I know that I have seen a Windows Phone in Movies and/or TV shows is because I have seen the screen WITH the live tiles visible. Otherwise, I would not have known it was a Windows Phone. The shows I have seen them in go out of the way to show the screen with the live tiles to illustrate that it is a Windows Phone.

0 Likes
primortal
Master - Level 1

rcschnoor wrote:

I disagree. I couldn't tell a Windows Phone from the back of the phone. The ONLY way I know that I have seen a Windows Phone in Movies and/or TV shows is because I have seen the screen WITH the live tiles visible. Otherwise, I would not have known it was a Windows Phone. The shows I have seen them in go out of the way to show the screen with the live tiles to illustrate that it is a Windows Phone.

Of you disagree; I guess you didn't understand what I said "Only those who know what Nokia/Microsoft OY Lumia devices looks like will spot them."

The shows that display the start screen, did they say it was a Windows Phone at any point?  Any Andriod device can look like a Windows Phone.  There are plenty of launchers to mimic the Start Screen.

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

You're right. When I see a phone screen such as the following in a TV show and/or movie, I can't imagine what would make me think it is a Windows Phone unless I was told so.

Untitled-1.jpg

Additionally, I DID understand what you said. You said "BACKS OF PHONES". Possibly that is a launcher to mimic the live tile screen on the back of a phone??? I need to get one of those.

primortal
Master - Level 1

Nice image crop, looks like the screenshot from this article; http://www.theverge.com/2012/10/29/3570494/windows-phone-8-review

You haven't answered if they mention the phone as a Windows Phone in the TV show and such  

rcschnoor wrote:

Additionally, I DID understand what you said. You said "BACKS OF PHONES". Possibly that is a launcher to mimic the live tile screen on the back of a phone??? I need to get one of those.

Yes I did say backs of phones which doesn't equate to product advertisement.

Yes, the Windows Start screen is a start but with out commercials from Microsoft demoing the Start Screen and its features it useless.  There are more commercials about Surface and it's features than there are ones for Windows Phone.  If people cannot tie the two together; commercial and appearing in shows it useless.  Even  fan made commercial does a better job than Microsoft; Windows Phone 8.1 Trailer (Fan Made) on Vimeo

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

primortal wrote:

Nice image crop, looks like the screenshot from this article; http://www.theverge.com/2012/10/29/3570494/windows-phone-8-review

You haven't answered if they mention the phone as a Windows Phone in the TV show and such

rcschnoor wrote:

Yes I did say backs of phones which doesn't equate to product advertisement.

Yes, the Windows Start screen is a start but with out commercials from Microsoft demoing the Start Screen and its features it useless.  There are more commercials about Surface and it's features than there are ones for Windows Phone.  If people cannot tie the two together; commercial and appearing in shows it useless.  Even  fan made commercial does a better job than Microsoft; Windows Phone 8.1 Trailer (Fan Made) on Vimeo

You're right I haven't since I don't remember but I doubt the dialogue includes "hand me your Windows phone", nor does dialogue normally contain "hand me your iPhone" or "hand me your android". I normally hear "can I borrow your cell" or "your phone is ringing" etc...., but I DO remember that I have been seeing Windows phones a lot more that anything else in shows/movies. Enough to make me think it was the dominant phone in use.

It also seems I have more faith in the common sense of people than you do. With the THOUSANDS of ads I have seen in print/TV/Movies about Windows Live Tiles on Windows 8, I don't think people need to be TOLD it is Windows they are looking at.

0 Likes