Windows Phone 7.5 Tango availability?
aphrophyre
Enthusiast - Level 1

Hi, i'm starting this thread as a request to Verizon Wireless to provide its user's of the HTC Trophy with the reticent information regarding upgradeability to Windows Phone 7.5 Tango.

Hopefully this topic will get enough responses and trigger Verizon Wireless to pay more attention to its Windows Phone toting community and provide us with more update news and information when available.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Windows Phone 7.5 Tango availability?
Hoppman
Enthusiast - Level 2

I am all for it.  Come on Verizon and MicroSoft, throw us verizon WP7 users a bone with a Tango update.

0 Likes
jsh17001
Contributor - Level 1

Come on VZW. Keep the WP 7.X updates coming. The Tango update is important to fiix a security issue. We also expect that the WP7.8 update will be available to the Trophy this fall..........

0 Likes
aphrophyre
Enthusiast - Level 1

I totally didn't expect the 7.8 version to exist. I wouldn't mind if they skipped Tango and released 7.8 instead. What I really want to know is how can the Lumia devices get so many and so frequent fixes w/o any such meddling from the carrier AT&T that these other carriers even need to hold back updates?

0 Likes
psiu_glen
Enthusiast - Level 2

My phone is running Tango already, you can find information on the .cab process elsewhere on the web.

However, this is definitely not done through Verizon, has the potential to wreck your phone, etc etc. I had a spare phone to test the process on so I was fairly confident in it but you still need to be aware that you could be stuck with a brick and need to buy yourself a new phone if it all goes horribly wrong.

Also, well, it doesn't bring much to the table. A couple SMS option, the add voice note option is missing however, no export contacts to SIM option (even though there is a SIM in the phone), no location icon in the notification bar, and of course still no internet sharing or visual voicemail as those would need to be exposed by VZW in the first place (the system update more or less keeps the same settings as before).

Anyone here actually like the removal of the "gutter" in WP8 (and 7.8 apparently?). I like the negative space indication, but I also like typography and design

PS check WPCentral...

0 Likes
Hoppman
Enthusiast - Level 2

I am looking at that as well.  I already have the cab file downloaded for both updates.  Did you install the first update, OS file and Language files and then the second one seperately?  I am thinking of updating before I go out of the country and I don't want to brick if I eff up.

Message was edited by: Hoppman

0 Likes
psiu_glen
Enthusiast - Level 2

Yeah, I just ran everything at once. Had a total of 8 cabs, 2 system and 2 language ones for each update but they all ran automatically. I actually just dragged the 7740 and 8107 cabs out of the folder from when I did those early upgrades and swapped these in. It really is a fairly insignificant upgrade so far as I can tell, so if you don't desperately need mms messages with multiple pics you could probably wait for the official one.

FYI, the English (us) language pack is 0409 and Spanish is 0c0a.

0 Likes
Hoppman
Enthusiast - Level 2

I finally did it last night, ran the two updates seperately but it all worked fine.  My phone was new enough that it came with 8107, the way that Verizon drags their feet on updates is just amazing.  I got my phone for free through the Microsoft store so I figured if I mucked it I would just add a new line and get another phone. 

If people are looking for the Trophy check out the Microsoft store:  http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msstore/cat/categoryID.44067100

0 Likes
leon_gm

So, someone already get the Tango update trough Zune?

I waiting Interner Sharing option for a long time, and now just waiting when Verizon launch this update.

0 Likes
aphrophyre
Enthusiast - Level 1

It's not OFFICIALLY available yet. I did the force update once before and may do it again. Tango brings nice tweaks, but I don't know if its worth unofficially updating to.

0 Likes