Re: Windows Phone 7 How-To
hopmedic
Contributor - Level 3

hogs518 wrote:

I know I saw this somewhere but how much memory does the Trophy come with? And do you know if we will be able to replace the SD cards with a larger one? I read somewhere that we won't be able to but I didn't know if this was true.

Here are links to the specs.  16GB is what it will come with. 

http://bit.ly/VZWTrophy

http://bit.ly/mI1wvX

As far as changing it out, it depends on how you look at it.  There are ways of hacking the system and changing the card out, but it was never intended by Microsoft that the memory in the phone be expandable, though hardware manufacturers made it expandable seemingly so that they could market it as expandable.  Here's an article that goes into it a bit more:

http://bit.ly/iG3BT5

0 Likes
RobRot

OK... let me get this straight.  I will no longer be able to synch without being connected to the internet. I will have to manage ANOTHER account (with settings, etc.) to get my email.  I will have to download ANOTHER desktop software (Zune) to use my new phone...  How do I manage tasks?  One of the main reasons I have stuck with the Microsoft OS is NOT having to go through an additional software to synch.  (remember Pocketmirror?)

This is progress?  How?

If I had known this, I would have gone Android months ago...  

0 Likes
chudster94
Enthusiast - Level 3

RobRot wrote:

OK... let me get this straight.  I will no longer be able to synch without being connected to the internet. I will have to manage ANOTHER account (with settings, etc.) to get my email.  I will have to download ANOTHER desktop software (Zune) to use my new phone...  How do I manage tasks?  One of the main reasons I have stuck with the Microsoft OS is NOT having to go through an additional software to synch.  (remember Pocketmirror?)

This is progress?  How?

Well, for starters the no local syncing option has been know since the phone was in development, this isn't a surprise for anyone that's followed the news about WP7.

As far as Zune desktop, you need this to manage your apps and to transfer files like music and eBooks to the phone. As far as I know, it's not required for syncing data if you have an Exchange server or you are syncing with an email account like Hotmail, gmail or Yahoo.

And as far as not being able to sync without being connected to the internet, unless you find yourself without signal frequently, this really shouldn't be an issue. As long as you have service you'll be able to sync.

0 Likes
RobRot

So you're telling me I'm at fault here for not keeping up with the development?

The phone is nothing more than a tool to help me do my job.  It should not be the focus of my activity.  It should not add to my workload but reduce it.  I've run a Product Development group using Outlook so yes I know what I'm asking for.

It appears Microsoft has followed the bandwagon (and woefully behind it) by creating a "smartphone" geared toward those that want a toy and plan to spend all their time troublehooting the various interfaces/desktops/exchange servers/ etc.

Extremely disappointed.  Looks like I can pick up a heck of a deal on an LG Quantum and be way ahead of the game.

0 Likes
chudster94
Enthusiast - Level 3

I wasn't assigning "blame" to you or anyone, just saying that the news has been out there for some time. Also, there were actually many headaches with the local ActiveSync app which the reason why MS went away from it.

Here's an article that mentions how to set up syncing with local Outlook if you really need it. It seems pretty straightforward.

http://pocketnow.com/windows-phone/how-to-sync-windows-phone-7-with-outlook

0 Likes
hopmedic
Contributor - Level 3

chudster94 wrote:

RobRot wrote:

This is progress?  How?

Well, for starters the no local syncing option has been know since the phone was in development, this isn't a surprise for anyone that's followed the news about WP7.

As far as Zune desktop, you need this to manage your apps and to transfer files like music and eBooks to the phone. As far as I know, it's not required for syncing data if you have an Exchange server or you are syncing with an email account like Hotmail, gmail or Yahoo.

And as far as not being able to sync without being connected to the internet, unless you find yourself without signal frequently, this really shouldn't be an issue. As long as you have service you'll be able to sync.

I thought it would be a big hassle when I set it up, too.  As it turns out, once it's set up, there's no need to touch anything.  It syncs beautifully.  HOWEVER, there is currently no way to manage Outlook Tasks on the phone.  They do not sync, though there has bene talk that this is coming.  I do not recall if that is coming with Mango.

There is no need for Zune if you don't plan on syncing music or videos or pictures between the desktop and the phone.  EXCEPTION: Updates come through Zune.  If you're a developer, you would need Zune to sideload apps from the PC to the phone, but if you're not developing for Windows Phone, you don't even need to know that.  The only thing Zune is NECESSARY for is syncing media, and installing updates to the phone.

You can sync mail, calendar, contacts, all OTA or wireless if you're in range of a wifi router.  Caveat, currently, Windows Phone does not support WiFi hotspots that do not broadcast SSID, but this is coming with Mango.

0 Likes
jimho
Enthusiast - Level 2

RobRot wrote:

So you're telling me I'm at fault here for not keeping up with the development?

The phone is nothing more than a tool to help me do my job.  It should not be the focus of my activity.  It should not add to my workload but reduce it.  I've run a Product Development group using Outlook so yes I know what I'm asking for.

It appears Microsoft has followed the bandwagon (and woefully behind it) by creating a "smartphone" geared toward those that want a toy and plan to spend all their time troublehooting the various interfaces/desktops/exchange servers/ etc.

Extremely disappointed.  Looks like I can pick up a heck of a deal on an LG Quantum and be way ahead of the game.

As compared to your current VZ 8600 ? That doesn't even qualify as a smart phone. Great for downloading music ... in 2006.

Seriously you just show up today and list your current device as Verizon 8600.....you claim you've used outlook to communicate with your team and help mangage calendars and tasks. That;s nice but it doesn't mean much here. Have you ever synced that to a phone?

Either you're trolling or you really don't understand what you are asking. I'm going to assume the latter because if you do know what you are asking you'd have to be trolling.... and if you are trolling we'll find out soon enough.

Not sure what you are referring to by syncing, and not sure what you mean by connected to the internet.

First off, you are always connected to the internet with your phone (unless there is no signal)-

That's why you get a data plan with this phone.. your phone will connect to your mail server and download your email automatically either on a schedule or if you are running exchange, via push. You don't need any extra accounts for that if it's POP3, Exchange or hotmail/live. you can email pictures, update facebook etc without syncing to your desktop.

IF you want to sync to media, instead of using active sync (aka mobile sync) as you did on earlier versions of windows mobile devices, you use Zune- it's a much better interface, made for managing all kinds of media- not just files. It also is the mechanism that allows you to connect and manage applications you might want to download (and buy) from the marketplace, and creates an identity for you for other services- net - its part of the experience. If you had ever used it, you would understand that it's alot more than a media player - there's a sophisticated web service behind it. You do not need to connect to your PC to sync to Zune, to sync your email, or to do most activities- but you will want to if you are moving larger files off your device, if you want to archive photos etc . Last but not least, if you have a live or hotmail account you don't even need to create a new account- you just link you live ID to your hotmail address.... I'm not sure (someone correct me)  but I think you can use any email account to create a Live ID that can then be used with Zune.... it's no big deal... in fact it's more complicated if you have multiple hotmail accounts and aren't sure which one to use with Zune.

Furthermore, your last comment about getting an LG Quantum, and being ahead of the game makes no sense at all... It's still Windows Phone 7 and you'll still need Zune to synch as you will with any other WP7 device.  If you want a slide out keyboard and want to go to AT&T - it's one of your options.

Last but not least, you are indeed at fault if you don't take the time to understand it or pass judgement on the usability of Zune because you can find negative posts on the internet.

Why don't you try it for a couple of weeks before you start complaining about features and functionality you've never actually used and clearly don't understand? If you can't deal with another account/password, you should consider sticking with a featurephone- or just a plain cell phone... then you won't have to learn anything new..

0 Likes
hopmedic
Contributor - Level 3

Kudoed

0 Likes
4Mscathy

So I tried to order my phone online.  Since I am not eligible for an upgrade until 7 2012, I would have to pay the full price of the phone $429.99.  I cannot purchase the phone for 149.99.  Anyone have advise so I can purchase the phone for the online price?

:smileymad:

Help

Cathy

0 Likes
hopmedic
Contributor - Level 3

Go to ATT, get a phone, port your number out.  Then, within 3 days, call Verizon, ask for the win-back team.  They can:

1. make you eligible for 2 year pricing

2. waive early termination fee

3. waive activation fee

I've had ATT for almost 2 weeks, and this is the deal I'm getting.  I have to call them back between 11am and 8pm EST, because she couldn't complete the transaction yesterday because the phone wasn't in her inventory.  Not sure if that is hours of the win-back team, or the person I spoke with.  I didn't want to complete the transaction until I could know I was getting the phone.  They will reactivate on your old phone, use the old phone until the new phone comes.  If you want it overnight, she told me after she sets it up, I could do it online (which I intend to do while she is on the phone), because she cannot do overnight.  Also, I will find out if my local store has it in stock, as there are pictures online of the phone in a store, and if so, I will see if I can get it there today instead.  Last night when I called the store, they told me, "we cannot tell you what our inventory is until the phone launches."  I said, "So you're telling me that you can't tell me if I'd be wasting the trip out there if I come first thing in the morning?"  She said, "You can call back in the morning."  What part of the good customer service manual is that in???

Anyway, the above deal is what they've offered me to come back, and I would otherwise have to wait until January for the end of my contract.

0 Likes