Re: Windows Upgrade for Samsung ATIV SE
SoftEngineer
Enthusiast - Level 2

I predict these upgrade failures will be the death knell for Windows Phone.  I bought mine expressly to author apps for Windows Phone.  This mess has convinced me to abandon that effort.  I predict other software engineers will follow my footsteps.  This will have a chilling effect on writing new apps.

0 Likes
TM01
Enthusiast - Level 2

My desire to switch carriers isn't based on the information I received from Samsung, but rather an expression of my frustration with Verizon Wireless.  I'm not upset with Samsung.  I just wanted to see if/how they were tracking the progress of the 8.1 update on the ATIV SE and share my information.  I was hoping to identify the delay (Microsoft, Samsung, or Verizon) with the update and figure out where it was in the process.  The phone itself is a great piece of hardware and I'm impressed with it.

I'm considering switching carriers because I think that I was intentionally mislead to purchase the phone, meaning: if they didn't have any idea when the update would roll out, they should have told me when I specifically asked before purchasing the phone (more than once in person and over the phone - mind you, it was the same Verizon storefront).  Regardless of whether it was a marketing ploy of an overzealous sales staff at the end of the day it's still Big Red.

You are spot on with the ATIV SE update.  At this point I'll be amazed if it gets here before Christmas.  Luckily, T-Mobile has the Lumia 635 with 8.1.  Mind you, it's not an amazing piece of hardware but would do for my purposes if that is the decision I make.  Granted, Verizon's coverage is better and I'm fully aware of some of T-Mobile's network issues but sometimes you just want to stick it to the man, know what I mean?

Nokia Lumia 635 | New Lumia 635 Smartphone w/ Windows 8.1 | T-Mobile

0 Likes
Not applicable

I totally agree with your reasons.

Being lied to is not a way to start with any carrier.

Hope it all works out for you.

0 Likes
kubotajoe
Enthusiast - Level 2

i have found in general verizon is great at deflecting you to links which are useless and annoying. the sales rep misrepresnted the phone's software instead of saying we don't know. for a company the size of verizon you would think they could persuade samsung or microsoft to issue updates with meaningful data

0 Likes
jnfweber

Verizon has not issued an official upgrade to Windows 8.1 for the Samsung ATIV SE because of bugs in the system which has caused the phone to lock at inappropriate times.  There are upgrades available to developers, and those using the upgrades have advised owners of the ATIV SE --- NOT TO UPGRADE- at the present time.  Nor has Verizon shipped any of this phone with Windows 8.1.  This link explains the problem. http://www.wpcentral.com/psa-dont-install-windows-phone-81-samsung-ativ-se

I doubt if Microsoft is much interested in fixing the problem for Samsung as they are more interested in selling their own brand, the Nokia Lumina Icon, which is probably a better phone which Verizon ships with Windows 8.1.  The reason I have been holding out for the AVIV SE is that it has a removable battery and removable mini SD card which will hold up to 64 gigabytes of storage.

0 Likes
SoftEngineer
Enthusiast - Level 2

I gave up and exchanged my ATIV SE for an Android within the 14 day return period.  My advice:  Buy your smart phone in the store and don't make the purchase if they can't show you a demo with the proper software/os in store.

0 Likes
skategeezer
Enthusiast - Level 1

This is a issue with the developer preview on the this phone NOT Windows 8.1 update for the Samsung ATIV SE. The Dev Preview is vanilla with no firmware specific files hence the announcement on WP Central about this phone. There are major issues with the Icon and the Dev Preview as well. Honestly, I miss the update however it does make this phone unusable. The features are fantastic and I cannot wait for the update but this does not automatically make this phone a bad phone or mean it does not work etc..... Patience...... just wait it will arrive.

jnfweber

I will continue to use my Samsung Rogue until I can buy a Samsung ATIV SE in a

Verizon Store or from Verizon Wireless on-line loaded with a foolproof Windows

On Mon, 18 Aug 2014 15:41:36 -0700

0 Likes
haynayboy

How about now Verizon? any info yet?

0 Likes
Levine889

How about now Verizon? any info yet?

8.1 is needed to use Fitbit with this phone.

0 Likes