Windows phone apps and itunes?
ajaxblu

Hello, I was looking at the Trophy - it's a Windows phone, right?  So where can one get apps for it, are they generally low-cost and how good are they?  I'm specifically concerned with better calendar and note taking apps.  Maybe a drawing app as well, though not as crucial.

Also, can one put iTunes songs on the phone?

Thanks!

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Windows phone apps and itunes?
bc3tech
Contributor - Level 2

Apps are downloaded via the Windows Phone Marketplace, either on the phone or on the web.

They are generally low cost, as most mobile apps are, w/ the exception of the games. games are generally more expensive than on other platforms, but that mostly applies to those that are Xbox Live enhanced - which provides benefit to anybody w/ Xbox experience/profile, and also requires a certain level of quality - gauged by Microsoft - to be certified.

when you say "better" what is your reference? Better than Android? Iphone? IMO both the Calendar and Note Taking (via OneNote) are excellent. Having OneNote synchronized automatically to Skydrive provides another avenue of input, backup, and collaboration that is just more integrated than the other platforms.

My advice, hit up a store, do not listen to any sales associate, and try the phone out for yourself.

0 Likes
carljanderson
Enthusiast - Level 2

ajax, what do you mean itunes songs? I have all of my cd's in mp3 via itunes, and all I do is point my Music Collection in Zune to where my music is, and I can selectively sync the songs over to my phone.

0 Likes
ajaxblu

thanks for the great info bc3tech.  when i say "better" for the calendar, for example, i mean, more comprehensive.  rather than a line under each date or a color to let me know something is happening that day, i'd like see text to know exactly what each of those multiple somethings are without getting out of month view and going into daily view.  i believe most of the smartphones don't even do that, so i'm under the assumption purchasing an app would be best for me.

thanks!

0 Likes
ajaxblu

thanks carl - i didn't know for sure it was that easy.  good info - thanks!

0 Likes
MadDogFL62
Contributor - Level 2

http://www.ehow.com/how_6245600_convert-itunes-library-mp3.html

The link above explains how to get your iTunes songs into a format for Zune to read.  My Wife and Son both have iPhones and iTunes accounts, so with an iTunes connection on my own PC, I can share their music.  Every month or so, I run the process outlined in the eHow link above.  I then let Zune find the new music and put it into my Zune library.  From there, I push the tunes from Zune into my Trophy.  A bit cumbersome, but it saves a ton of money.  Zune also shows me what songs I have moved from my Zune libray to the phone so that there are no duplicates.

WP APPS are already very cool.  Don't believe the hype from Droid or Apple about the lack of APPS in the store.  There is full access to news, sports, weather, shopping - as well as silly but handy things like a flashlight, compass, converter, gas prices, coin toss, GPS, etc.

The biggest bonus is the business integration.  Silky smooth integration to Outlook email, contacts and calendars.  Silky smooth integration to Windows Live, Facebook and LinkedIn.  Cool cloud capabilities with SkyDrive and the ability to ACTUALLY SEE a Microsoft Word, PowerPoint or Excel document on the phone.  Oh, and you don't have to download APPS for that, either (how much are Page, Presenter and Numbers in the Apple Store these days)!?!

Last, the Windows Phones are secure.  Google is not capturing your information, malware is not being loaded on your phone, and the British Newspapers are not hacking into your iPhone to see who your contacts are.  Many boneheads on this forum will attempt to explain to you that Apple and Droid are "so popular", that this is why they are not secure and are targeted by hackers.  So that's a reason to go with those devices anyway?  Not the Kool Aid I'm drinking!

My Verizon Trophy is a nice Generation 1 Windows Phone.  I look forward to the next WP device from Verizon.  It seems pretty clear that Verizon and many device manufacturers are waiting for Apollo (WP8) to be released as well as supporting phones before making any big moves or commitments.  I think that this is some good pressure for Microsoft.  Word is that a GEN 1 WP device can be  upgraded to Apollo when it is released.  Until then, I will take my WP Trophy as I find it does just what I need it to and with Verizon, connects where I need it to.  ...and did I mention that the Trophy is a good, strong and clear cell phone as well!   Smiley Happy

bc3tech
Contributor - Level 2

excellent points.

One other thing I'd add is that not only can you view the Office formats, you can also create them. Practical usage? I had my Trophy on me while going through a series of new job interviews. I used an excel spreadsheet on my phone to punch in the various offers, benefit costs, etc from each company and had that information w/ me at all times to make sure I was making any decisions based on current stuff. The cloud integration - as pointed out - offered another bonus to this scenario; I could open and edit that SAME spreadsheet w/in a web browser from Skydrive. Didn't even have to have Excel installed anywhere!

0 Likes