anybody else experiencing horrible battery life
ericreinhardt
Contributor - Level 1

Well sold my iPhone to get the trophy. I know I wouldn't get the same battery lasting that I got with the iPhone but I'm lucky to get through a 1/4 of the day on a full charge. That's being a light user. Has anyone else had this problem. I mean I turned down brightness etc. Any ideas?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: anybody else experiencing horrible battery life
hopmedic
Contributor - Level 3

No, I haven't had this problem.  I do put it on charger occasionally, just out of habit, but there was one day I used it quite a bit without recharging, and it went dead on me at nearly midnight on my way home.  For what I was doing with it, I wouldn't say I was overly impressed, but I wasn't disappointed with it, either.

0 Likes
gragacia

I've gotten bad battery life, but it's because I'm a heavy user. I have 3 email accounts, two of which have 20-minute syncing and one has instant (push) syncing. I get texted all the time and am sending/receiving MMS. Browsing the web on 3 tabs. Slacker radio. Oh, and on top of all of that, listening to music through A2DP headphones.

Yeah, I didn't last 8 hours 😕

0 Likes
ericreinhardt
Contributor - Level 1

Does anyone think a big part of it is the live tiles?

0 Likes
hopmedic
Contributor - Level 3

ericreinhardt wrote:

Does anyone think a big part of it is the live tiles?

I doubt it is the live tiles. 

For scheduled live tiles (the phone goes looking at the server for an update), the minimum frequency allowed for checking is 1 hour.  So if the developer writes the app with the minimum, it's going to check once every hour.  When that hour time period comes up, the phone sends a packet to the server, and the server has either 10 or 15 seconds (I don't remember which, off the top of my head) to respond, or the phone goes back to its prior state.  If the server doesn't respond in that 10 or 15 seconds, the live tile will not get updated.  This is to save the battery.

For push notifications (the server pushes an update out to the phone whenever it wants to), it will depend on how active a live tile program you're using.  The developer can push as many updates as he wants, but that wouldn't be good programming, both for using battery life, and for driving the user nuts. 

There is a limit to the size of the packet being sent by the server to the phone, in either case.  I want to say it's like 20k or something like that.  I may be wrong on the number, but the limit is very small.

Also, under NoDo and prior, there is a limit of 15 active live tile apps.  You may be able to install more apps that use live tiles, but the live tiles of apps installed after that 15 will not work.  Under Mango this will be increased to 30.

So Microsoft has done a good job of keeping this from becoming a drain on the battery.  I would not personally consider this to be the problem.

0 Likes
chudster94
Enthusiast - Level 3

One thing to keep in mind is that battery life on any cell phone is dependent on many factors that go beyond usage. As an example the radios on any handset are usually a big battery draw. Turning off the Bluetooth radio and especially the WiFi radio when not in use can help to extented the battery life. Also, alerts / feedback are also a drain. Turning off any that you don't care for can help too. These include sounds, haptic feedback, vibrate alerts, etc.

I've only got my Trophy for two days but so far the battery life seems pretty good to me. I'll have a better idea once I settle into a typical usage pattern.

0 Likes
boe
Enthusiast - Level 2

ericreinhardt wrote:

Well sold my iPhone to get the trophy. I know I wouldn't get the same battery lasting that I got with the iPhone but I'm lucky to get through a 1/4 of the day on a full charge. That's being a light user. Has anyone else had this problem. I mean I turned down brightness etc. Any ideas?

The battery life issue is a design flaw with the phone.   Many phones have a 1500 mah battery and newer phones such as the EVO 3D has a 1730mah battery.

Take a look at the size of the battery in the Trophy.  Admittedly the Trophy has a small screen so it has less to power than many modern phones,  The small screen on the Trophy doesn't really come into play when you just use a lot of time on your phone using it as a phone (who would think of using a phone as a phone?)

The Trophy while having a nice OS was a poorly designed failure when it was released in Europe nearly 7 months ago.

You can look for an extended battery with a bulkier back replacement.  Most replacement batteries that claim to have more power that fit in the same cavity don't typically last any longer.

If Verizon had gotten the Focus, I would be sporting a WP7 phone right now.  I'm pretty sure Verizon picked the worst WP7 phone they could find so they could pat themselves on the back when they predicted it wouldn't be a significant market share of Verizon sales.

0 Likes
chudster94
Enthusiast - Level 3

The battery life issue is a design flaw with the phone.  

I charged my Trophy fully last night. Today I used it to make two short phone calls (including one via the bluetooth setup in my car), browse the web for maybe 10 minutes, send/receive 7 or 8 text messages, update some contact info, show off some of the basic phone features to a friend, browse the HTC martketplace for 10 minutes or so, and snap a pic with the cam. After this usage and over 24 hours later I'm still on 1/3 of a charge remaining (with the one caveat being that I disable my WiFi radio because I rarely if ever use it). I consider 1/3 of charge with this level of usage being completely acceptable so if there's a design flaw I sure haven't found it.

0 Likes
thejester77
Contributor - Level 1

I have thrown everything at this phone and at the worst had to charge it once a day.  I also have Wi-Fi turned off since the 3G is good enough for most web browsing experience.  Blue Tooth always on, played 4 hours of music to bluetooth speakers and another 4 hours in my car through a Parrot bluetooth speaker system.

Unless you need to be connected to wi-fi, turn it off and conserve some battery juice.  I believe it is on by default as well as the auto find wi-fi networks & notification.  My results were also with the wi-fi turned on until I manually turned it off.  Battery life is really good on this phone, 1000% better than my HTC Imagio.  Sometimes you just get a bad battery, and you should be able to replace it under the 30 day warranty like most retail stores.

I absolutely love this phone and am really excited about Windows 8 coming around the corner. Thanks to Microsoft releasing new video showing off the new interface, which is basically the next version of Windows Phone 7 UI with more goodies. :smileyhappy:

I really think Windows Phone 7 UI is perfect for smartphones and would work great with tablets.  The phone experience has been exciting so much so I find myself having problems putting it down... LOL :smileyhappy:

Besides coverage drop offs like crazy, which were happening 2 days before I got the Trophy... so I know it's NOT THE PHONE!!!  Did the *228 trick and coverage was back to normal.

I usually tell everyone on Verizon to get in the habbit of dialing *228 every month so that you download the latest cell towers added to the network to your phone... giving you better coverage. :smileyhappy:

Make sure you don't hit the camera button while your on a call. It will disconnect your call and without the disconnect beep. I have done this numerous times, and I think this needs to be addressed in the update.  Also make sure you download HTC Attentive Phone App which gives you more phone functions for incoming calls and ring types.

Overall experience has been 10++ vs. my old HTC Imagio. Once Pandora, Skype, and possible USB drive access like WinMobile 6.5 on the way... I can't wait!!! This phone Rocks!!!

I also bought a nice hard plastic case and clear screen protectors on Ebay for phone and they work great.  Have a couple destop cradles coming hopefully this week. Unfortantely, the cradle makes you charge the phone on it's side. No big deal, it's not like I am playing with the phone while its on the charger. I can still stream bluetooth music and that's all I care about.  The power connection is a micro usb cable, so no problems with capatibility issues with power supplies.

TheJester77

0 Likes
ericreinhardt
Contributor - Level 1

Hi thanks. Im gonna call or go to verizon today and see if I can replace the battery. Alot of people are saying they get good battery life and alot are saying they dont. The ones that are getting good battery life do they have the same 1300 battery or another battery? I sold my iphone to get the trophy and I know the battery isnt going to be as good as the iphone but I figuired I would be able to get through the day with normal to above normal usage. I mean I can't even watch a full movie on my phone and when I do the back gets very hot. I was actually thinking of trading this in to get the xeperia play but i really really like windows 7 os. Im gonna try another battery and see what happens. 

0 Likes